A lot of trouble for a GS trade? EDIT: Updated 12-23-07 Scorched!

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Hi all. I saw the 30% trade in coupon posted in the deals forum and thought it'd be a perfect way to unload my Halo 3 collector's edition since I had just bought the Legendary from Amazon a while back. I wanted to keep the art book, so I decided to try trading in the disc only.

I went in to a Gamestop later that night. The guy who assisted me with my trade charged the 4.00 refurbishing fee. I asked him why since the disc was in perfect condition. He told me since I was only trading in disc only, I had to be charged the four dollars. Honestly had never hearing about that, I asked why that would be. He got really pissed and said, "Would you buy a game with the disc only?!"

I didn't really understand the relevance of that to my question, but I told him, "No, but you guys sell them." He replied, "Yeah, well they all got charged the four dollars." I pressed, "Even the people who trade in a sports game disc only? They receive a couple of dollars in credit and pay you four dollars?" He didn't really answer me and was growing impatient with me. I didn't really care that much about the four dollars if it was gonna let me keep the really cool tin case and art book.

So, I agreed and he processes my trade. I noticed he never even tried applying the coupon and put it away. He prints out my receipt. 38.50 credit minus the 4.00 refurbishing fee. I told him that wasn't right. He grabbed the receipt and told me it was since, "See? 38.50 minus the 4.00. That's your 30%." Well, that wasn't even close to 40% extra, as I pointed out the original trade value was 35. He grabbed the coupon and stared at it for a full minute.

Finally, he said, "Oh, that's why. Trades must be presented in full working condition." I told him it was. "The disc is flawless!" I beamed. He basically repeated himself and I asked what a box and manual had to do with the game working or not. He refused to answer. So, I relented and grabbed the box from my car. Even if I sold this on Ebay, I'd probably only get 40 dollars for it. So he removed the four dollar fee, gave me my 40% extra and I had my 50.05 in trade.

Not that I'm incredibly upset, but WTF? Is any of this normal? Granted, the refurbishing fee being charged could be legit since I've never tried to trade in a disc only game, but at some point it must have not been applied in those situation. Especially with all of the forementioned disc only sports titles that didn't yield four dollars of credit for the customer trading them in.

Should've asked for the DM's number....why'd you let him get away with scamming you? Now he's going to continue pulling that on every one.

that's just ridiculous. The whole $4.00 resurface things he's calling is bs on his part. He was just doing it because he probably didn't want to deal with another disc only copy of x game getting traded in.

He grabbed the receipt and told me it was since, "See? 38.50 minus the 4.00. That's your 30%." Well, that wasn't even close to 40% extra, as I pointed out the original trade value was 35.

You know that guy went to a good school.

he souldnt have done that at all, my store takes games without cases all the time without charging a refurbish fee. granted, i perfer to get cases and booklets with games, i understand when people dont want to trade them especially with collector's editions.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Hi all. I saw the 30% trade in coupon posted in the deals forum and thought it'd be a perfect way to unload my Halo 3 collector's edition since I had just bought the Legendary from Amazon a while back. I wanted to keep the art book, so I decided to try trading in the disc only.

I went in to a Gamestop later that night. The guy who assisted me with my trade charged the 4.00 refurbishing fee. I asked him why since the disc was in perfect condition. He told me since I was only trading in disc only, I had to be charged the four dollars. Honestly had never hearing about that, I asked why that would be. He got really pissed and said, "Would you buy a game with the disc only?!"

I didn't really understand the relevance of that to my question, but I told him, "No, but you guys sell them." He replied, "Yeah, well they all got charged the four dollars." I pressed, "Even the people who trade in a sports game disc only? They receive a couple of dollars in credit and pay you four dollars?" He didn't really answer me and was growing impatient with me. I didn't really care that much about the four dollars if it was gonna let me keep the really cool tin case and art book.

So, I agreed and he processes my trade. I noticed he never even tried applying the coupon and put it away. He prints out my receipt. 38.50 credit minus the 4.00 refurbishing fee. I told him that wasn't right. He grabbed the receipt and told me it was since, "See? 38.50 minus the 4.00. That's your 30%." Well, that wasn't even close to 40% extra, as I pointed out the original trade value was 35. He grabbed the coupon and stared at it for a full minute.

Finally, he said, "Oh, that's why. Trades must be presented in full working condition." I told him it was. "The disc is flawless!" I beamed. He basically repeated himself and I asked what a box and manual had to do with the game working or not. He refused to answer. So, I relented and grabbed the box from my car. Even if I sold this on Ebay, I'd probably only get 40 dollars for it.

Not that I'm incredibly upset, but WTF? Is any of this normal? Granted, the refurbishing fee being charged could be legit since I've never tried to trade in a disc only game, but at some point it must have not been applied in those situation. Especially with all of the forementioned disc only sports titles that didn't yield four dollars of credit for the customer trading them in.[/quote] This is why some people have no mercy when it comes to ripping gs off during trade ins. oh my mistake i thought you traded it in completely w/box and manual.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If this practice keeps people from trading in disc-only games, I'll be happy.[/quote]

I agree. I hate when people trade in anything other than a complete copy.

Unless something changed recently, you should not get a lower cost for disk only. Although, be nice to the next owner of the game and give up the case.

I got charged a "referbishing" fee for a scratched disk and it was only a $1 charge. I don't understand what is going on at that location.

I kind of agree that trading in games disc only really sucks for those who end up buying the game later, though those people could simply look through the available copies and find one with the original case/manual and just buy that.

I nailed GS for alot of credit during the great 'trade 3, get $10 extra' deals a while back, but that was when they were giving a 'guaranteed' $1 minimum trade value for games.

However, you shouldn't have left without straightening out the 30-40% extra trade value thing, which should've netted you $45 in trade credit if the 40% more was applied.

I know I only use GS as a last resort when trading games, since I know other places typically give more in credit for games.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If this practice keeps people from trading in disc-only games, I'll be happy.[/QUOTE]

while I agree there should be a penalty of trading in disc-only games, this employee totally made up his own rules on the spot and juked the OP out of $4 and his case. Not to mention, last time I got charged a resurfacing fee, it was $2.

I traded in disc only games before with the 30% bonus applied.

Maybe the guy who processed the trade in also works at my local supermarket since neither can figure out percentages. I had an item that was going out of date and it had a 50% off sticker on it. It was $3.99 so should have been $1.99 after the 50% off. It only took off $1.50. I said something and the cashier said to me in a rude tone, what's half off $3.99? (as if I was wrong!). He got out a calculator and still couldn't figure it out and did an override even though he stillt hought I was wrong.

Just to clarify, after I gave up the case I got the full value of 50.04 credit after Edge. He removed the charge, of course, but yeah it just seemed like he was making up shit as he was going along. It would make no sense to charge extra for the person trading in disc only when they offer no price break to people buying used disc only games.
And yeah, I can understand the argument about trading in a complete game. Karma and all of that. I normally do, but I wanted the art book. Maybe I should have just taken it out of the case... or maybe he would have told me it wasn't in 'full working condition.'

wow what a jerk go get your money back, and call the DM and complain that he 1) charged u $4 for some bs reason
2) didnt give u 30% extra when he should have
3) made up more crap reasons for disc only

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If this practice keeps people from trading in disc-only games, I'll be happy.[/quote]

what the freak ever! who is forcing you to buy a disk only copy?

[quote name='monkeydeew']what the freak ever! who is forcing you to buy a disk only copy?[/quote]
Really, this is one thing I don't understand unless you're a anal collector who must have everything mint & complete(if so, you've got too much time on your hands).

For us that don't give a crap about complete games, if they stopped accepting disc only games, it would mean it would be harder to find some uncommon games. There's times where I would try to track down some games and end up buying disc only games. It's better to just play the game than to keep trying to track down a copy just "it has to be complete".

Getting back to topic, wtf is up with the different pricing for refurbish fees? Had a couple a few months ago that were disc only, but only charged $.80 for each fee. Now I'm seeing $4 & $2 mentioned in the thread makes me think that some stores are charging more just to keep more change in their pocket.

You know, I always hear these bad stories about GS and EB but the GS i go to has WONDERFUL employees that actually talk to you about games and know what they are doing. They're also a nice crowd, like yesterday after I used my Edge card to buy Pokemon Pearl and Final Fantasy III I still had $66.38 or something like that and the girl was like "You have $xx.xx left. Just enough for a Christmas present for me." and the manager (who's beginning to know me) says, "And me too!"

I can see it from Gamestop's point of view as well. I understand that this guy took it upon himself to create a new rule, but I think GS should have something in place for people who trade in disc only copies of games.

A disc only copy of a game is only going to occupy shelf space, and inventory until it's sold, since most people (who don't have to be anal) want to have everything in the case. Also the longer it sits, gamestop loses money ( I know most here won't care), until eventually they may have to mark it down to compensate; as it could sit through the demand phase for the game

However, if they didn't charge for disk only games and had to mark it down, they'd lose even more money.

From a Consumer's prospective, I don't want to buy a disk only copy. It's not because I'm anal, but if I'm going to spend the money for something that would normally come with case/manual etc then I want everything. I feel it cheats the person who buys it a bit, since they're paying the price, but not getting everything..

I know most won't agree with me, but that's just how I feel

[quote name='MrDubbs']I can see it from Gamestop's point of view as well. I understand that this guy took it upon himself to create a new rule, but I think GS should have something in place for people who trade in disc only copies of games.

A disc only copy of a game is only going to occupy shelf space, and inventory until it's sold, since most people (who don't have to be anal) want to have everything in the case. Also the longer it sits, gamestop loses money ( I know most here won't care), until eventually they may have to mark it down to compensate; as it could sit through the demand phase for the game

However, if they didn't charge for disk only games and had to mark it down, they'd lose even more money.

From a Consumer's prospective, I don't want to buy a disk only copy. It's not because I'm anal, but if I'm going to spend the money for something that would normally come with case/manual etc then I want everything. I feel it cheats the person who buys it a bit, since they're paying the price, but not getting everything..

I know most won't agree with me, but that's just how I feel[/quote]

Believe me, I think the games I was trading in disc only were long past their 'demand phase', except for modders and people who system link Xboxs to play multiplayer. And, as I've said before, if ya want a complete copy of a game, bring up a case that isn't some generic crap GS made up and ask for a disc to complete the complete copy with manual/regular case you just picked off the shelf.

Many GS stores have tons of copies of 'in demand' games very quickly after their release, many of which ARE complete and mint/near mint. Plus, the only reason I was trading those games I traded in disc only was the fact that if I traded them with the case and manual, they would've been counted as ONE game, instead of a triple pack of single games and I would've had to have 3 of the triple pack to get the $10 bonus, thus LOSING ME MONEY!!

But, one triple pack(Tom Clancy triple pack, FYI on the XBox) broken up into 3 disc only games(each only traded for $1) plus bonus=$14.30 with 10% Edge bump or $10.30 over what I paid @ Kmart for the games.

So, that's MY reason for keeping the manual and case from my disc only trades, though many may want to simply keep the manual and case from their games in the event they find a cheap disc only copy in the future or for some extras that may be in the case.

Well, I was mainly referring to the newer games, as the OP mentioned Halo 3, that they wanted to trade in as disc only.

Which GS was going to pay 30 something for, but only have sit on their shelf, most likely

but if it's an older older game, I don't see a problem with it, since it isn't worth as much anyway

[quote name='MrDubbs']Well, I was mainly referring to the newer games, as the OP mentioned Halo 3, that they wanted to trade in as disc only.

Which GS was going to pay 30 something for, but only have sit on their shelf, most likely

but if it's an older older game, I don't see a problem with it, since it isn't worth as much anyway[/quote]

Then I guess I shouldn't also mention the disc only Shadow Hearts Covenant I traded into Gamestop for $17-20 in quick credit a while back, which I also nabbed from Kmart for $3-4, right? I kept the case and manual and took the game discs in by themselves. And that copy is STILL sitting on their shelves with the generic cover they had to make for it, at the gouged price they charge for it.

Oh and Monkey, ain't that great when you go to take back one of their shit condition games that they sold you with a generic cover and covered in TONS of stickers and they wanna charge you for the privilege of taking it back?

This is why I always try to find a complete copy, even though I'm not some AR collector or anything. I just know that complete games hold their value better.

this is why i barely trade in to game stop. They are too bitchy about these things and have the nerve to charge you a resurfacing fee on a perfect disc...yet they will sell anyone a used games for 55 dollars with scratches... so that just tells me they don't do shit about cleaning up there discs before reselling it.

Heck they sold me a game that was like 2 or three bucks *new* but it was full of scratches.. went back and told them and they gave me 10% off... months later I traded that same game to Microcenter and got like 6 bucks for it :)

I personally keep my manual and case just in case I ever want to buy the game again and all I can find is a disc only copy. I've never been hit with any fees and the OP just has an employee trying to scam you out of your money. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he pockets the $4 onto his own Edge card or something.

The one GS by me used to use their 'display' model Disc Doctor to resurface peoples games they were trading in or the ones that people complained about the condition of when buying them.

Only problem is, the Disc Doctor machines made even WORSE marks in MANY cases. If you've ever found a game in a Gamestop or other store with what appear to be almost swirled scratches on it, that's the telltale signs of the DD.

some gs employees are really cool and that's the gs I will go to deal with. Other gamestop employees think they know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING and treat you like your a dumb ass.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Heck they sold me a game that was like 2 or three bucks *new* but it was full of scratches.. went back and told them and they gave me 10% off... months later I traded that same game to Microcenter and got like 6 bucks for it :)[/QUOTE]

I bought quite a few games like that as well. The only reason I continued to buy them is because of the $2.99 - $4.99 "new" price. Nothing will top the "new" Extermination I bought for PS2 for $2.99 from EB. It was re-shrinkwrapped (and a horrible job at that) and it had crumbs in the manual! Rather than take it back I just took it right to FYE and flipped it for $6 trade in credit.

I simply would have asked:

"So, if you are charging people $4 for missing manuals, does that mean any game I buy without a manual would be an extra $4 off the regular used price?"

I bet that wold shut him up.

[quote name='sp00ge']I simply would have asked:

"So, if you are charging people $4 for missing manuals, does that mean any game I buy without a manual would be an extra $4 off the regular used price?"

I bet that wold shut him up.[/QUOTE]
You're absolutely right. I thought of that just as I was leaving. "Damn it! Another missed opportunity," I thought to myself.
All very valid points to bring up to the DM tomorrow...

[quote name='sp00ge']I simply would have asked:

I bet that wold shut him up.[/QUOTE]

LOL that's a good one. Probably he would have said "No, I am just following company policy and it must be in working condition and without the manual/case it is considered in not working condition because customers need the manual to know how to play the game."

Now if he said to me, I would have said, ok...lets fire this sucker up and not only test it out to make sure it *works* but to see if you need the manual to play it. Now a days most, but not all games have built in tutorials on how to play the game without looking at the manual.

[quote name='ITDEFX']LOL that's a good one. Probably he would have said "No, I am just following company policy and it must be in working condition and without the manual/case it is considered in not working condition because customers need the manual to know how to play the game."

Now if he said to me, I would have said, ok...lets fire this sucker up and not only test it out to make sure it *works* but to see if you need the manual to play it. Now a days games have built in tutorials on how to play the game without looking at the manual.[/quote]

Not EVERY game, ITDEFX!!

It's tailored more for vets of playing the game and it takes a while to get the timing and all, but I AM getting the hang of it now...............FINALLY!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not EVERY game, ITDEFX!!

It's tailored more for vets of playing the game and it takes a while to get the timing and all, but I AM getting the hang of it now...............FINALLY!![/QUOTE]

fine i fixed it :)

I think you actually had a pretty good experience at GS op. Angering the clerk by not trading your game in its tin distracted him from the fact that your 30 percent coupon is not valid until tomorrow today. I am surprised he was able to ring it up. As an added bonus maybe the clerk will be reprimanded by managers for not reading the valid dates on a coupon.

[quote name='wolfpackgamer']I think you actually had a pretty good experience at GS op. Angering the clerk by not trading your game in its tin distracted him from the fact that your 30 percent coupon is not valid until tomorrow today. I am surprised he was able to ring it up. As an added bonus maybe the clerk will be reprimanded by managers for not reading the valid dates on a coupon.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... you are right. I headed in a wee bit early. My bad!

Anyway, I called the DM and he returned my call. He was very surprised and agreed with me that the employee was making up information. They were able to retrieve my case, art book and second disk and all for me to pick up at the store.
Not a bad resolution!

There is a test in the North East Market with 50 Cents Missing Case Fee.
Missing anything but the case can not result in any fees.
The reason the Refurb. Fee amounts are different is that it goes by the value of the trade. The associate was wrong to apply the Refurb. Fee since that can only be applied when the item is defective. His action would have moved the item to Defective On Hands and would not deem the item for sale even though the item is in saleable condition. I do have to say though that this is the first time that I see a thread that actually has a valid claim against GameStop as all the other ones I've seen were wrong most of the time.

[quote name='microbim']There is a test in the North East Market with 50 Cents Missing Case Fee.
Missing anything but the case can not result in any fees.
The reason the Refurb. Fee amounts are different is that it goes by the value of the trade. The associate was wrong to apply the Refurb. Fee since that can only be applied when the item is defective. His action would have moved the item to Defective On Hands and would not deem the item for sale even though the item is in saleable condition. I do have to say though that this is the first time that I see a thread that actually has a valid claim against GameStop as all the other ones I've seen were wrong most of the time.[/quote]

Agreed; the guy was a complete dick. Please do me a favor and make sure this guy gets read the riot act by his DM; pretty much everything he did in that situation was worthy of being written up.

I never trade in anything to gamestop with its case. I just throw it away at home. I figure it's less likely that other people will buy it from them and they'll end up losing out in the end, which should really be the goal of anyone shopping at gamestop, to bring about their bankruptcy and screw them over as much as possible.

[quote name='jer7583']I never trade in anything to gamestop with its case. I just throw it away at home. I figure it's less likely that other people will buy it from them and they'll end up losing out in the end, which should really be the goal of anyone shopping at gamestop, to bring about their bankruptcy and screw them over as much as possible.[/quote]

Would it not be wiser, then, to simply not trade anything to Gamestop in at all? Sure, most customers don't want a game with a generic case, but I can guarantee it's easier to sell than a game we don't have because someone felt like sticking it to 'the man'.

[quote name='jer7583']I never trade in anything to gamestop with its case. I just throw it away at home. I figure it's less likely that other people will buy it from them and they'll end up losing out in the end, which should really be the goal of anyone shopping at gamestop, to bring about their bankruptcy and screw them over as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

You're just screwing over the person that buys the game and don't have the original case to show for it. If someone wanted the game badly enough, they'll take it without the case. If you don't like how Gamestop run its business, then don't do business at their stores.

One of my best friends is a manager for GS and said that this employee was being a dick to you for no good reason. Refurb fees are generally less than $1.00 and are only for SEVERELY scratched disks -- ie disks that absolutely will not play without being professionally resurfaced. Also, they do accept the disk back by itself for full credit, you do not need the case and manual. Might be worth talking to the GM or DM about this as my buddy indicated it smelled of scam.

By the way, what is his rank? Probably not the GM, maybe the ASM or something? Any further information is appreciated.

Sorry you were treated so poorly and Merry Christmas!!!

Later,

Alex

Yeah, generally I only trade at gamestop when I just don't give a shit about the game or know I wouldn't get much more elsewhere. Sometimes their bonuses work out pretty well too. Especially for sub $20 titles. Ebay just doesn't make sense for that small of an amount for the hassle/fees. I could get $7 ASAP or ~$13 in a week.

bread's done
Back