A mini disk player

CaptainObviousXl

CAGiversary!
iv been looking at mp3 players for a wile and i figured out that a mini disk player might be the best bet. Im wondering if any one has ever had any past with these. Im also looking for a good deal. I saw the Sony MZ-S1 Portable Sport Net MD and thought that might be a good idea for when i go camping and just about anything els. Thnx

I have had a net md player for some time now and have never had any problems at all with it. The disks are cheap and hold around 5 albums worth of music each. Sound quality is great and the battery life is like a dream. (except in radio mode that I don't use but the gf does alot) I would highly recommend the players and some targets have had them on clearance for last years models lately, even with out clearance they're worth it if you ask me.

I have a netMD player as well(MZ-707). I love it but I'm also waiting for the higher end Hi-MD player in a couple of weeks and you should too :D

what are the avg prices on these things? 4-6 albums is alot of songs. and all this time i've been waiting for ipods to drop price, i dont need freaken 2000 songs.

edit: i was looking up the hi-md format and *drool... http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/index.html

no price information thou. it seems the hi-md might support faster recording methods... how the hell you suppose to record 45hr worth of music?... playing the source for 45 hrs?? thas ridiculious

The one shown in the link is only the entry-level MZ-NH600D, which goes for $200.

The Hi-MD does record faster. It shouldn't take 45 hours, but it will obviously be longer than transferring with a MP3 player.

Question: why are people interested in MD players? They're bulkier than flash players, hold less memory than HD players, they take a while to record music, and they're around the same price as superior mp3 players. As far as I see it, it's like a digital version of the original Walkman.

I bought my little sis a Sony NetMD player/recorder for Christmas and she loves it. It's tiny, easy to use, and usually gives great sound quality.

thanx im gonna go with a regular mini disk player but im wondering if any one has ever used the sports one cause i can get that one for 120 at amazon.

i got the cheapest mini disc player mz-ne410, i love it. go to best buy and look at what they have, all of there's are on reduced prices, and may go lower. they've had them for a while. check there for prices before buying online. they don't have hi-md on sale but prices might be good enough to go with the smaller discs, not sure though.

the burning is a little annoying, but your working with a disc, not flash memory. and expandability is perfect, i want an extra 5hrs. go buy another disc, $10 regular price for 5 discs that's 25hrs.

i recommend it %100. it can't skip, it loads the music then plays, the discs are immposible to scratch, battery life is amazing.

[quote name='whitereflection']The one shown in the link is only the entry-level MZ-NH600D, which goes for $200.

The Hi-MD does record faster. It shouldn't take 45 hours, but it will obviously be longer than transferring with a MP3 player.

Question: why are people interested in MD players? They're bulkier than flash players, hold less memory than HD players, they take a while to record music, and they're around the same price as superior mp3 players. As far as I see it, it's like a digital version of the original Walkman.[/quote]

i was looking for an mp3 player and found this ^ i own a couple md players by sony, last one i bought was the sport one. re to why, well, i like having my music around ready to play, instead of having to delete and reflash a single unit every time my taste changes. md discs are affordable for my tastes. but i too am contemplating an mp3 player. looks like the iRiver is in my sights.

Iv had 3 minidiscs player/recorder before they were all awesome and they were all sony . one did mess up on me . I used to be a diehard md fan until that one broke on me for no reason plus the annoyance of doin realtime recording ( althiough now they have netmd but I still thinks its slower than using USB2.0). my best friend later a netmd unit that was just released in the U.S . that broke on him . Im not to found of sonys atrac format , the quality is good but u cant really upload music right back to ur computer like u can an mp3 player ( idont kno if this has changed since the last MD I owned was in 2001) . I decided to try an mp3 player the iriver hp120 . I dont think I could ever go back to an md player ( got tired of switching discs also ) . Id say just go ahead and get and mp3 player from iriver especially because is has 16 hour battery life and comes with an lcd remote like most mindiscs do (another reason y i switched) .Iriver mp3 players are known for there good quality and alot of features . plust mp3 players dont skip .

I've had a near first generation SONY MD player/recorder for a good 4 years. Fantastic. I use it to record my own stuff, it's been dropped nearly 30-40 times and it hasn't missed a beat, friggin touch little monkey. HI-MD is supposed to be really expensive, I prefer the regular. I'm not sure about that 5 albums worth of material, I thought 80 min recording was 80 min...maybe they are talking about compressed mp3 audio, which I'm not sure mine handles.

Which player are you looking at, OP? I've been in the market for an MD player for awhile now. There are so many different models to choose from, though, I'm afraid I'll make the wrong decision. Hi-MD has gone down in price since the last time I checked. You can pick up this Hi-MD player from a Marketplace merchant (plenty of 100% positive feedback sellers to choose from) for less than $100. That looks like a bargain to me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._2/002-7897268-2316037?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846

[quote name='Javil']Which player are you looking at, OP? I've been in the market for an MD player for awhile now. There are so many different models to choose from, though, I'm afraid I'll make the wrong decision. Hi-MD has gone down in price since the last time I checked. You can pick up this Hi-MD player from a Marketplace merchant (plenty of 100% positive feedback sellers to choose from) for less than $100. That looks like a bargain to me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._2/002-7897268-2316037?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846[/quote]

I also had one of the first md sony's. it was a little larger than a tape cassette. used it alot and it didn't have the compression that net md's do now. but it had an all metal alloy that dented for everything. re: hi-md: im not too sure if its worth it. you'll probably benefit more economicaly from a regular net md and the md discs are cheaper. i think a sports sony md goes for bout 50 on ebay. circuit city clearanced them out for around 70 half a year ago. alot of cag's praise the iriver ihp40 or something. i'm bidding on one right now and its up to about 110. i think it'll stop somewhere around mid 300 cause it still has bout 5 days left.

uhem, in conclusion, sony net md's are great: 1. you don't have to delete all of you're media to upload new media 2. you CAN fit upto 5 cd's on a single md with the tightest compression 3. the md media is cheap so you can archive if you want 4. i go running with mine and no skipping. con: 1. doesnt convert .ogg files so you have to manualy do so with a separate program and the iriver supports .ogg files.

good luck :wink:

I have a MD recorder which is a few years old and I really like it. I mainly bought it for recording concerts, though, and it's perfect for that.

well the thing is im not planning to get them any more. This is a REALY old topic and i am gonna buy and ipod or ipod type device when i build my new computer!

i did come REALY close to buying one.

Shit, I bought one of THE very first mini-disc players ever made (before the internet music downloading craze) back in 1997. As a result it has no way to connect to the internet. I bought it to record live in the studio my garage band's (now defunct) music. The a/v catalog Crutchfield sold a Sony microphone made exclusively for the MD player. It worked liked a dream (but it also cost about $100).

I have the old MD (pre netMD). I used to Napster music at work and record in realtime to disk while I was at lunch. When I found out about the NetMD I was about to trade up for one when I discovered the digital right managment set up they had. I prefer mediums that dont restrict my use so I waited untill I could find an MP3 player in my price range.

of course I ended up with a crappy RCA Lyra and it's garbage HD that crashed every day at almost the exact same time.... but I did eventually get the Rio which while I cant use it as a portable HD as easily it's smaller and much more reliable that either of the two.

Anyway I say if you're going to get anything for digital music you're better off just getting an actual MP3 player.

I had the Sony Net MD. It was a good player, but the program it came with (Sonicstage) was confusing. Had a lot of trouble just transfering a few songs.

bread's done
Back