A Newb's Guide to Buying the Right HDTV

MillerTime2523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
119 (99%)
All right, I found this old OXM (January '06) with an article called "HDTV's for Newbies." Here is some info from that article -

THE TECHNOLOGIES

CRT (Cathode Ray Tube)
Price Range: Around $500 - $2000

+ Very Affordable
+ 26-inch = Around $500
+ 34-inch = Aroudn $1500
- Widescreen CRT's dont get much bigger than that
- VERY heavy
- Don't support 360's preferred 720p, upconvert to 1080i (or displays 1080i nativley)

More to come..

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The 27inch[/QUOTE]

Wait.... isn't that 27" not widescreen? Because HDtv (720, 1080) is a widescreen format.

Neither, search for a better deal for sure. Make sure you get a widescreen set that supports 720p. For your price range def go CRT and ignore LCDs

allright thanks, I'll look into it now. Im leaning towards best buy because A) I have a $50 Gift card there, and B) I have one locally and can do the in store pick up rather than having it shipped.

If anyone finds a nice deal within the 400 or less price range, please PM me. Thanks!

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Thanks for the input.

BTW, how do i tell if its widescreen or not?[/QUOTE]

valor19 is right, but the easy way to tell is if it looks like a perfect square all the way around, its 4:3. If it looks wider than it is tall, its 16:9.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Thanks for the input.

BTW, how do i tell if its widescreen or not?[/quote]

16x9 aspect ratio. It will usually say WS in the title.

1080i resolution is the highest resolution currently broadcast for HD television and gaming. 720p is also high definintion, and some people think it is better for gaming on the 360.

1080p is somthing that may be the standard is about 8-10 years, but you don't need to concern youself with that now.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Good call. Must have over looked it. Thanks!

:EDIT: It says its capable of 1080i, isn't 1080p what you need (or would want) for gaming?[/QUOTE]

1080p capable HDTVs are pretty pricey and I believe the only thing that dishes out 1080p resolution is Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The PS3 might on SOME games, but I'm going to bet the standard on most games will be 720p or 1080i.

Right now, as long as your TV supports either 720p or 1080i (or both), you're good to go with 99% of high def stuff on the market.

I was in the store the other day and looked at the Insignia out of curiosity, I could see all kinds of flickering and artifacting that the others were showing clear as a bell.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']whats HDCP? and how much is it, i cant open the page.[/QUOTE]

I can't get the page open either.

HDCP is High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. Basically, some HD-DVD or Blue-Ray may (and I do mean MAY) have it on the disc and you would need a television that is HDCP compliant. I would not worry about it if you are on a budget and your main concern is to find a tv for the Xbox 360.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I only cant open it because im on my psp, lol. So basically, a TV good for blu-ray would be expensive? (between 1080p and HDCP compatible TVs)[/QUOTE]

Well, the PS3 games don't support HDCP, but some of the Blu-Ray movies may. Also, don't even concern yourself with 1080p as it isn't being used right now nad is ungodly expensive. My television has HDMI, does 1080i and will work with the PS3 fine. I'd be more concerned about finding a television that fits your Xbox 360 and I'm sure it will work just fine with the PS3.

Also, that link in the earlier post goes to a 26" widescreen samsung HDtv for $369.99. Very nice television for your price range.

Yeah, as of now you'll be hard pressed to find an afford able TV with HDCP and 1080p. Just look for something with at least 720p and component input. You can also go for a 1080i set though 720p is a bit better.

[quote name='mannam23']I have this and I'm happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1_9/104-5119765-2001521?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video

Although you will have to go into the operator's menu to properly calibrate it. PM me about that if you end up getting the TV. It also has a built in tuner, the RCA one doesn't..[/QUOTE]

I'll second this set. I've had it since September and it's a nice starter HDTV, though it's more of a "bedroom" set than a living room TV. Damn fine picture, though. I've got some really minor geometry distortion on the left side when using 4:3 mode, but it's been perfect otherwise. (Though if you plan on watching a lot of 4:3 material, the gray bars on the left/right in that screen mode might drive you nuts; never bothered me, though)

Just to note, it has one HDMI input (and two component inputs), and I believe the native resolution is 720p. A 360 looks awesome on this set.

Though I'd argue you're better off saving your money and getting something bigger. I got Samsung's 46in DLP SL-4666W set a month ago and love it.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I only cant open it because im on my psp, lol. So basically, a TV good for blu-ray would be expensive? (between 1080p and HDCP compatible TVs)[/QUOTE]
WIth your price range, I doubt you could get a 1080p. Just saw my first flatscreen lcd 1080p, think it was 40'' for 3000 ish in a ad. My first time seeing a flatscreen 1080p.

Back on topic. Ive seen lots of philips outlet.
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r.../41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET

You have to be careful of tvs that claim they have 1080p. Most all of them are just upconverting and don't have true 1080p.

What other deals are out there. I will not take the chance at the philips outlet. I was planning on getting the 27inch insignia until I found it its 4:3... I want a 16:9 26-30inch CRT HDTV for under $500...I would prefer to get it at B&M and not online. Thanks. (Sorry for hijacking but its related)

[quote name='JSK414']What other deals are out there. I will not take the chance at the philips outlet. I was planning on getting the 27inch insignia until I found it its 4:3... I want a 16:9 26-30inch CRT HDTV for under $500...I would prefer to get it at B&M and not online. Thanks. (Sorry for hijacking but its related)[/QUOTE]
bestbuy.com has a 10% off deal, check there and do in store pick up if you see something, or go to BB first then order. They have some nice sets.

[quote name='JSK414']What other deals are out there. I will not take the chance at the philips outlet. I was planning on getting the 27inch insignia until I found it its 4:3... I want a 16:9 26-30inch CRT HDTV for under $500...I would prefer to get it at B&M and not online. Thanks. (Sorry for hijacking but its related)[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you. I bought a TV from Philips Outlet a couple years ago and the thing was all distorted. I had to take it to a TV tech and they said "oh, that's just the way it is, you can't fix that". Bullshit.

At least Philips was good about giving me a refund and didn't hassle me at all about returning the TV.

I'm looking as well, leaning towards the 30" Philips at WalMart for ~$530. Seems to be decent enough, watching the HD demo reel I didn't notice any issues with noise or distortion on the model. Plus WM has the simplest return policy in the world so that offsets a bit of the concern of the Philips. I've had their sets before no problem, but after the thread about the outlet I'm a bit paranoid.

[quote name='nevposey']does the Sony SXRD have true 1080p...that's the one I have been eyeing to replace my 34inch XBR[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't, it upconverts to 1080p. Still a damn fine TV. If I was looking for a 50 to 60 inch, that is hands down what I would buy.

Would there be any way to get an extended warranty on that Samsung TXR2678WH 26" Widescreen Dynaflat TV?
thanks (geez like $90 more w. shipping & Tax)

Allright, so I changed the title, as you can tell. Anybody with the slightest knowledge on HDTV's, please post in this thread and I will make a big list of everything a new buyer should know (such as info on 1080i, 720p, what to look for when buying an HDTV, etc.)

cool, sounds good and thanks Millertime2523, I'm also looking for a HD for my 360 (possibly widescreen price permitting)

After I bought my 360 I purchased a 30" Samsung LCD from circuit city with they were having the no interest for a year sale. I believe the total cost was around $1200. I use it for gaming and as my pc monitor. I really think it's a great set and I haven't had any problems for the 4-5 months I've had it. The 360 games look really, really good on it with component cables. I really appreciate it much more after I play a regular xbox game for awhile and then pop a 360 game in. There's is such a huge graphical and color difference between the two that I'm almost blown away after playing regular xbox games.

[quote name='ofacto']I got a Syntax Olevia LT26HVX 26 inch LCD for $500 AR from CompUSA. It is a great TV. Its not on sale currently, but sales on this TV seem to spring up every couple of weeks. My guess would be it will probably be on sale again for the Fourth of July.

Here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8570/ref=pd_bbs_7/002-4049916-2481634?ie=UTF8[/QUOTE]

This tv is confirmed to be going on sale again tn the 5th for the price of $499.99AR... Does everyone think that is a good price? I was looking to spend up to $500 on a CRT with similar standards so getting an LCD seems like a deal. Does this have the commonent inputs so I can hook my 360 up no problem? Thanks... look forward to hear advice.

Here is some info on some of the acronyms that are being tossed around :

HDCP : Is nothing more than a built in copy protection that prevents the digital feed from being copied "i.e. copy protection" basically any set with HDMI or DVI has it

HDMI : High definition multimedia interface, second version of DVI, main difference being that an HDMI cable also transmits the sound as well as video. The sound can also be transmitted as a compressed dolby digital surround. Currently HDMI is the best connection available for all HD signals.

Also I see many people referencing LCD's from companies such as Olivia and other manufacturers. Be aware that these LCD panels will generally have very low or exaggerated contrast ratios. In laymens terms the picture will get some artifacting or Jaggies in the picture. While some will not notice this right now, I ensure you that as graphics get better this will become an issue. Since most people I assume will be playing games on them please realize this. Of course the picture will be better than your wood paneled 32 inch console, long term you will be disappointed.

Also in regards to the I and P in the HD formats they are both better for certain situations ( this is a matter of personal taste though ) Generally speaking a 1080i resoultion will be better for fast moving shows,sports or movies. 720p will generally be better for movies especially computer generated movies such as finding nemo or chicken little. Also remember that for a TV to be truly HD it must support the 720p resolution, if it doesn't it is really an EDTV ( meaning it can display images at 480p or 1080i ) If anyone has any other specific question on HDTV I would be more than happy to answer any either via Pm or email.

So since we are talking abut the same price basically... should I go with the olivia LCD set or this set at walmart. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4810694

Or are there any other good HDTV deals? The type of tv doesnt matter (lcd crt) LCD would be nice for size and weight savings, but not very important. I am anywhere from the 26 to 30 inch range with a budget of $500... I want something that will bring x360 gaming to a new level.

I would prefer B&M because online I have to wait and pay ungodly shipping rates... I am not willing to take the chance at the philips outlet, either. Thanks.

[quote name='Zoglog']my advice, save up the money for a 1080p LCD display so you can double it as a monitor.

my westy finally got shipped today
https://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-44-7-42-1080p-monitor.aspx

And it is a great amount better than my previous 1080p 37" that i returned. Best of all it cost 1499 at best buy with free shipping. Very sexy.[/quote]

that looks real nice... how has it done review wise? $1500 is not bad at all....What worries me in all these modern tv's is lamp life.. and ive seen people complain about that 1000:1 ratio

Something interesting I found out today - I bought the 360 VGA cables ($14, nice price) and apparently my LCD HDTV can't do 1080i with VGA, only 720p (1280x720). My DVR HD cable box does 1080i (1920x1080) and I THOUGHT I was getting 1080i using the HD cables that came with the 360. Honestly its not a big deal because I have trouble telling the difference between 720p and 1080i anyway, but anyone else find their LCD not letting them go 1080i with the VGA cables?

Still, its probably worth it to keep the 360 on my VGA port. I have 1 VGA, 1 component, and 1 DVI for my HD connections, and the DVI is used by the cable box already. Using a switch to go between my PS2 and 360 wasn't going to work forever.

[quote name='mannam23']I believe most lcds do 720p and not 1080i.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but mine does 1080i. I know for sure it does it through the DVI connection, because my cable box is spitting out a 1920x1080 image right now on the HD channels. I thought it was also giving me 1080i through the component cables, but maybe I was wrong and it can only do 720p through component and VGA inputs.

Edit : Here's my TV - http://www.viewsonic.com/support/tventertainment/lcdtv/n2750w/index.htm

bread's done
Back