A paradox

[quote name='dratsacras']Since you're having so much trouble with the concept of infinity, let's eliminate it from the equation.

let x = 0.9999...
10x = 9.9999...
10x - x = 9.9999... - 0.9999...
9x = 9
x = 1[/QUOTE]

well i guess .999999...=1 is proven right the math looks correct with all that infinity stuff.

This thread is a paradox in itself: the OP's topic is "a paradox".... But there's no paradox in the actual thread - making the topic a lie, because of the lack of a paradox. At the same time, though, now the topic's proven itself true; since there's no paradox the title is correct. A PARADOX! But there's only a paradox because there is no paradox, which makes another paradox!! It's a conspiracy. That's the only explanation. CRAP My head hurts.

[quote name='javeryh']You can't do addition, subtraction, etc. using infinity. It's just a concept. Infinity minus infinity does not equal zero just like infinity plus infinity does not equal 2(infinity).[/QUOTE]

Try this: if 0.9999... is not equal to 1, then there should be a number that you can add to one to get the other. So, if 0.9999... + x = 1, solve for x.

[quote name='superhugebutt']This thread is a paradox in itself: the topic is "a paradox".... But there's no paradox in the actual thread - making the topic a lie, because of the lack of a paradox. At the same time, though, now the topic's proved itself true; since there's no paradox the title is correct. A PARADOX! But there's only a paradox because there is no paradox, which makes another paradox!! It's a conspiracy. That's the only explanation. CRAP My head hurts.[/QUOTE]

You confused me and you just hurt my head. :bomb:

[quote name='neocisco']How many licks does it take to get the center of a Tootsie pop?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, but I know how many licks it takes to get to the center of something else :lol:

bread's done
Back