A question about getting scammed....

boozi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
This is the second time I got scammed... Last time I filed a buyer's complaint with PayPal but they didn't refund my money... I had to go to the bank to sort this thing out and then PayPal decided to do a reversal.... My question is: Do you have any tips for me for what should I do next? I filed a complaint and I have to wait until next week to "hear" the veredict. I've tried to contact the seller through email and AIM and he always ignores me..... Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Ok, here are the details:
I wanted to buy a Sega Nomad from him for $60 shipped. By the way, this whole thing was through gametz.com. Now, we decided that he'll ship first since my PayPal account was limited because of the issue above that I had to deal with. I told him that I'll send him the money as soon as my paypal is back up. Now, he said the he sent it. I waited 2 days and no package came. Ok, he told me that he was scared to send it because I asked him the confirmation and he thought that I'll scam him. Fair enough. I told him that I'll send first. In the meanwhile, my PayPal got back up. I told him so and he said ok, I'll send it today after you pay me. Ok, no package came... He was "supposed" to send it out last friday as priority mail. When he comes on on AIM, he ignores me or he just logs out. I have his cellphone number but he doesn't answer me. What should I do now? I really don't feel like going to the bank again.... By the way, his reputation in ebay isn't bad either. He has 26 positive feedbacks and his PayPal account shows that he had 32 transactions with them..... Thanks for your help again.

I know it probably seems bad since it seems like he is avoiding you, however maybe he was just late mailing it and is afraid to fess up to that. Some people just starting out selling online are paranoid, I know I was. However you probably should not hesitate to take the appropriate actions like going to the bank if you have to, do not get scammed. But do not be too quick to judge either.

Ouch, how hard is it to go to the bank anyway? I wouldn't have dealt with him after you found out he lied to you about not shipping it.

It's not very hard to go to the bank by yourself, but it is with your mom :(. I had to go through the first scam with my mom since it's her account... I give her the money, I use PayPal with the money and then I finish the transaction. She was very paranoid last time, but the teller at the bank was very nice. Even though I would definately like to do so, I don't want to my mom to get worked up again.... :?

Yeah, until you have your own bank account, stop shopping online. There's always an inherent risk in shopping online, especially with private sellers. So until you can guarantee that you are the only one inconvenienced by your poor decision making, or risk taking, don't shop online. If I were your parent, I'd be a little cheesed-off too, for having to return to the bank, after the last time you fell for a scam.

Grow a little older and a little wiser. You'll be better off for it.

Not a flame, just experience talking....

Trust me. I've made a crap-load of mistakes in my life. The last thing you ever want to do is f-up your parent's finances, especially if you are reliant on them for room and board.

Back before the days of the internet, I tried to cash a check at the bank where my parents had their accounts. They had banked there for 20 years. So the teller knew me and even though I didn't have an account, cashed it for me. Needless to say, it was a check that had been stolen and given to me as payment for my old Genesis and some games. The kid at school that bought my stuff, had stolen it from his mom's purse and forged her signature. Well, as you guessed the check came back and the bank called my mom. She was PISSED. I was cut off from allowence, and even though I had nothing to do with the check being stolen, the stigma of it stayed with me for a while. It was years before I showed my face at that bank.

[quote name='VelvetHammer']Yeah, until you have your own bank account, stop shopping online. There's always an inherent risk in shopping online, especially with private sellers. So until you can guarantee that you are the only one inconvenienced by your poor decision making, or risk taking, don't shop online. If I were your parent, I'd be a little cheesed-off too, for having to return to the bank, after the last time you fell for a scam.

Grow a little older and a little wiser. You'll be better off for it.

Not a flame, just experience talking....[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='VelvetHammer']Trust me. I've made a crap-load of mistakes in my life. The last thing you ever want to do is f-up your parent's finances, especially if you are reliant on them for room and board.

Back before the days of the internet, I tried to cash a check at the bank where my parents had their accounts. They had banked there for 20 years. So the teller knew me and even though I didn't have an account, cashed it for me. Needless to say, it was a check that had been stolen and given to me as payment for my old Genesis and some games. The kid at school that bought my stuff, had stolen it from his mom's purse and forged her signature. Well, as you guessed the check came back and the bank called my mom. She was PISSED. I was cut off from allowence, and even though I had nothing to do with the check being stolen, the stigma of it stayed with me for a while. It was years before I showed my face at that bank.[/quote]

You took a check from a minor for some video games?
Did you realise you have to be 18 to open a checking account?

I agree with ex0. Agreeing to ship first and then going back on that should have been a giant red flag. (Especially since it sounds like his claim that it had shipped already was just to scam you into sending payment.)

If I read your post right it's been a week since he claimed he was going to ship (the 2nd time...) I'd maybe wait until next week sometime and then e-mail him (and maybe leave a VM on his cell as well) saying very clearly that if you don't either hear from him about the package or receive the package by Sept. 8th (a week from next Wed.) you'll have to assume he has no intention of sending it at all and will be forced to pursue means other than just e-mailing him. You might want to even add, "look man if you shipped it later than last Friday or used a cheaper service than Priority just tell me, that's a lot better than me thinking you are never going to send it at all."

I already took the necessary steps. He keeps ignoring my ims, my calls, and my emails. He can go to hell for all I care. I'm going to spam him in IGN classifieds as a scammer.

[quote name='Quackzilla']You took a check from a minor for some video games? Did you realise you have to be 18 to open a checking account?[/quote]

I was 13, not on the top of my game. I was also blinded by the thrill of making a fast $50. I thought his mom had filled the check in for him and was aware of what he was buying.

Interesting side note: That same kid burned the school's gym down 2 years later.

He was suspected in 3 other school vandalisms. He burned his eyebrows off in a weird Napalm accident. One day he just disappeared, we all assumed he either killed himself or finally landed in jail for good, after becoming an adult.

Call his cell phone from a payphone, or someone else's house. If the caller ID doesn't identify it as you, he may be more likely to answer. That doesn't stop him from hanging up, as soon as he finds out it's you.

Lol, true. Well, here's an update:
I called to PayPal and talked to the agent. He said since I filed the complaint after 4 days of the purchase, there's a fairly good chance I'll get my money back since it takes 3-5 business days to transfer the money from his account to his bank account and the transaction was done on friday. Now the payment is on hold so hopefully I'll get my $$$ back next week :D By the way, I guess that I'll never get a nomad since it's the second time this thing happened..... :cry:

Believe it or not, that guy sent the item yesterday....... I ended up apologizing to him because the only thing I had to do was to wait for the money to go into his bank account. The complaint interrupted the process so he didn't send the item till now...... He provided me with the tracking number so I'm almost certain I'll get my Nomad :D

bread's done
Back