A Wide Screen at Wal-Mart

cycophuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
A Wal-Mart near me has a 51' HD Wide Screen Magnavox on clearance for $850. There are some light scratches/scuffs on the screen. I'm not sure if it is HD or just HD ready because it says it can have a HD receiver installed. What I am curious is, is this a good price? It is covenant in the fact that I can put it on lay-away. I can't afford to go out and buy one and I'm honest enough with myself knowing I don't have the self-control to save the money up. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Magnavox = great products

If you can live with the scratches, buy it. :)[/QUOTE]

Philips = shitty products. they're the same, i'm not sure how though (i mean if one bought out the other or something like that).

Thanks for all the replies. TVs aren't my best subject, so I appreciate any help y'all can give. Demoman, why do you think I should pass on it?

[quote name='cycophuk']A Wal-Mart near me has a 51' HD Wide Screen Magnavox on clearance for $850. There are some light scratches/scuffs on the screen. I'm not sure if it is HD or just HD ready because it says it can have a HD receiver installed. What I am curious is, is this a good price? It is covenant in the fact that I can put it on lay-away. I can't afford to go out and buy one and I'm honest enough with myself knowing I don't have the self-control to save the money up. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal?[/QUOTE]

A couple of things to consider:

This TV is high definition. However, it does not have HDMI input like newer HDTV sets. It also does not seem to accept 720p signals, which is not uncommon for HDTVs.

What this means is that:
* This TV will work great with all High Definition Television broadcasts with a HD cable box from your cable co.
* This TV will work great with all High Definition XBOX 360 games
* This TV may have problems with 720p High Definition PS3 games (if PS3 has no scaler, unknown at this point)
* This TV will not display High Definition HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies (they need HDMI)

If you keep shopping at walmart you are just feeding the monster.
Go to a local place and buy one. fuck the great deal go to a local place and pay $1,200 for one. You are doing the world a favor, and Jesus will acutally like you if you don't shop at walmart. Trust me PM me for his cell # :D

[quote name='Graystone']If you keep shopping at walmart you are just feeding the monster.
Go to a local place and buy one. fuck the great deal go to a local place and pay $1,200 for one. You are doing the world a favor, and Jesus will acutally like you if you don't shop at walmart. Trust me PM me for his cell # :D[/QUOTE]

Now, now. Your still a little sore about that coaching aren't you? ;)

I would wait. I remember reading earlier this year that LCD prices are expected to drop by 50% over the next two years. LCD or plasma would probably give you a wider viewing angle and more brightness.

[quote name='crickett003']Now, now. Your still a little sore about that coaching aren't you? ;)[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: In a way yes, However There is a local electronic place called rex that I try to buy all of my electronics from and the store near me is closing and i hate that they are old school they way a business should be ran. They remember your name. the sales people are commissioned. I just hate that places like Bestbuy and walmart are trying to run the world.

bread's done
Back