About to sell my used car on Auto Trader- any advice so I don't get stung?

monash65

CAGiversary!
Kinda nervous because I never sold a car this way before (previously, it was always to either someone I knew at work, or to a family/friend), am going to register with Auto Trader.

I have looked up the blue book value and I'm planning on putting a good accurate description (including pics of a few dings/scratches, just to be honest and upfront). Anyone got any advice for a first timer, so I don't find myself in a mess with a problem buyer, getting cheated, etc? Should I even be using that site, maybe there's another better one I don't know of? Thanks for any tips.

You are the seller, your not in any danger of any kind of sting. Only way you stand to be mugged off is accepting a cheque, which will bounce and your left with no car and no money. Otherwise, you hold all the cards.

The buyer is the one in danger. The amount of bent crooks thinking nothing of selling somebody a car that is on the brink of collapse or not even road worthy to begin with is frightening.

Hope it all goes OK for you.

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of Craigslist, actually. And cash it is. What about if I'm offered a cashier's check though?

Also, dumb question I guess, but if they ask to take it for a test drive, then obviously I would I insist on being in the passenger seat.... Or is it a bad idea to allow this? Not sure what the insurance situation would be on something like that.

[quote name='monash65']Thanks for the advice. I never thought of Craigslist, actually. And cash it is. What about if I'm offered a cashier's check though?

Also, dumb question I guess, but if they ask to take it for a test drive, then obviously I would I insist on being in the passenger seat.... Or is it a bad idea to allow this? Not sure what the insurance situation would be on something like that.[/QUOTE]

Go with them for test drives, to answer questions as it drives as well as to make sure they don't do anything stupid. And play it safe and take cash only, I wouldn't accept anything else.

bread's done
Back