Acar Iconia A-100 7" tablet 199.99 @GS & pricematched at Best Buy.

Spyder187

Banned
This may not qualify as a deal to some, but I feel that to anyone who is looking at getting their feet wet in the tablet arena this is a deal that needs to be mentioned.

Recently I decided to use my built up credit at Best Buy from the 100% bonus trade offer to get my first tablet. I was back and forth between getting either the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 or waiting on them to get the Nexus 7 tablets in when they launch. However, after a couple days of researching i came across the Acer Iconia A100. While researching reviews on it I came across the Game Stop page for it here.

Last night I went to my closest Best Buy in Florida City and after showing them the page on my smartphone they agreed to price match it with no hassle at all. Honestly, the hardest thing about buying it was finding a case I liked to go with it due to them not having any Iconia specific accessories in stock. I did find that any of the universal 7 inch tablet cases fit it pretty well though.

Hopefully this will be a help to any of you who are still looking to get your feet with with your first tablet or want a solid smaller tablet. I feel that this one offers pretty much everything some of the higher priced full sized tabs have at a lower price than most of the smaller tablets that offer less of those extras.

If I didn't already have an Ipad 3, I would be all over the refurbished one. And how do we know the Nexus will be a lot better than other android tablets? It hasn't came out yet has it?

Looks very nice! However the Google Nexus 7 comes out next month, and has a Tegra 3 processor (A100 has Tegra 2), plus it has a higher resolution (1280x800, vs A100 at 1024x600). I have a Kindke Fire which has been OK, but I'm planning to get a Nexus 7 16gb version. I think Amazon is also going to release a Kindle Fire 2 soon, probably with good specs as well. Tablet market is really starting to take off!

Nexus 7 specs: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb

Edit: added link to Nexus 7 specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='narmstrong79']Just wait and get the Nexus 7.[/QUOTE]I would definatly hold out for the Nexus 7. The screen is much nicer than the A100, and the processor is much faster as well. The A110 is going to be much better than the A100 as well (if you want the microsd and hdmi out). It should be out in the next couple of months too.

The only downside i had to my A100 was the screen, it had a pretty poor viewing angle. Granted not too many reasons to not be looking directly at it but a few degree shift would affect the display.

This tablet was not that great with Honeycomb but the ICS upgrade for the A100 really helped it. I sold it to a co-worker and put in a pre-order on the Nexus 7.

I have it and personally I think its the worse Android tablet. Since updating it to 4.0 its slower and any browser I use doesn't work right. Plus Google had some app sale a month ago and I couldn't download any of the good games because the A100 isn't compatible. I think you should take back.You should have gone with the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tab or the Nexus 7.

so here is a user experience story, the tablet is nicely priced however it lags, Acer's 7 only has 512mb, that's not enough. the tablet lags around the home screen and when too many apps are open and you are switching between them. wait for the Nexus 7 as others have said. the acer 10.1 A200 is marginally better then the 7 inch only due to 1gb ram.

[quote name='Watto11107']I have it and personally I think its the worse Android tablet. Since updating it to 4.0 its slower and any browser I use doesn't work right. Plus Google had some app sale a month ago and I couldn't download any of the good games because the A100 isn't compatible. I think you should take back.You should have gone with the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tab or the Nexus 7.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Donutkid2222']so here is a user experience story, the tablet is nicely priced however it lags, Acer's 7 only has 512mb, that's not enough. the tablet lags around the home screen and when too many apps are open and you are switching between them. wait for the Nexus 7 as others have said. the acer 10.1 A200 is marginally better then the 7 inch only due to 1gb ram.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect, The Acer A100 has 1gb ram with a Tegra 2.

I am surprised you guys had that many issues, once it got the ICS update for me it was smooth. Screen responded well, almost all apps worked, and no issues with any games/movies/music. Maybe i just got lucky.

Unless you are dumping Gamestop credit, wait for the Nexus 7. Seriously just watch a video review of it.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Incorrect, The Acer A100 has 1gb ram with a Tegra 2.

I am surprised you guys had that many issues, once it got the ICS update for me it was smooth. Screen responded well, almost all apps worked, and no issues with any games/movies/music. Maybe i just got lucky.[/QUOTE]

I know ICS helps but the product Acer i've used had 512 MB

bread's done
Back