Accepting Money Orders for eBay Auctions

Pope On A Rope

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
What do you all think about accepting money orders for eBay auctions? Good idea and a way to avoid PayPal fees? Or bad idea and an easy way to get scammed?

Have been debating whether or not to accept money orders as a form of payment and your input would be appreciated. :)

it's the safest way if it's a USPS money order. don't accept any western union or anything like that-- lots of international bidders will try to scam you with WU.

It's not a terrible idea so long as the money's well concealed. Personally though, I don't like money orders simply because they take a while to get to you which keeps you from sending the item and it typically turns an auction into a half-month long affair. Still, if you get cash, Paypal can't do shit so that's good.

[quote name='Apossum']it's the safest way if it's a USPS money order. don't accept any western union or anything like that-- lots of international bidders will try to scam you with WU.[/QUOTE]

That's why I recommend not allowing international bidders. Customs can be a pain and foreigners will try to screw you over at every turn (joking, but only somewhat.)

[quote name='Pope On A Rope']What do you all think about accepting money orders for eBay auctions? Good idea and a way to avoid PayPal fees? Or bad idea and an easy way to get scammed?

Have been debating whether or not to accept money orders as a form of payment and your input would be appreciated. :)[/quote]
good idea because lots of ppl dont have paypal

I accept MOs. In my listing I state USPS Postal Money Orders only but if they send me another type I've always gone ahead and accepted it. I even don't check the 'Cashier Check or Money Order' box and use the 'Other' box with my payment instructions explaining USPS MOs only in an attempt to limit the amount of weird off-brand MOs I get, but about 50% or so of MO senders send another type anyway. :roll:

Ive accepted Western Union for auctions. AFAIK theres really no danger to a seller when accepting WU. I mean, I go to a supermarket with the WU logo, give them my info and walk out with cash. Then I send the item.

If you don't get the cash, don't send the item.
I think the WU danger is when a seller requires it.

Many WU agents won't cash a WU money order so that's a big YMMV on being able to cash them at the counter. When I got one I went to several around me that wouldn't, and no one could tell me a local agent that would. Ended up depositing in my bank. They don't even provide a free service to check if the MO # is legit. Really a crappy service IMO.

Out of curiousity do you have to give them your contact info when you cash a WU MO with them? If so that'd be so they can come knocking if it comes back as fake.

[quote name='wubb']Many WU agents won't cash a WU money order so that's a big YMMV on being able to cash them at the counter. When I got one I went to several around me that wouldn't, and no one could tell me a local agent that would. Ended up depositing in my bank. They don't even provide a free service to check if the MO # is legit. Really a crappy service IMO.

Out of curiousity do you have to give them your contact info when you cash a WU MO with them? If so that'd be so they can come knocking if it comes back as fake.[/quote]

I never get anything actually mailed to me physically, i get an email with a transaction ID , etc. I take that to the supermarket and use that. I believe the only info they get of mine is my phone number and zip code.
I don't think a fake transaction ID could work - I would hope that they are sophisticated enough to know if one has money attached to it or not.

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']I never get anything actually mailed to me physically, i get an email with a transaction ID , etc. I take that to the supermarket and use that. I believe the only info they get of mine is my phone number and zip code.
I don't think a fake transaction ID could work - I would hope that they are sophisticated enough to know if one has money attached to it or not.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay, haven't done anything with that myself, but that does sound like once you have the money in hand you are good to go. Different from accepting WU money orders however.

bread's done
Back