Accessories for a new owner

Kurai_Seraphim

CAGiversary!
Okay, I've just purchased a new 80 Gig PS3 (The Little Big Planet + WALL-E bundle from Best Buy) and am in the market for helpful accessories.

Aside from the HDMI cable (obvious) and a larger hard drive (don't really foresee needing more than 80 gigs, though), what accessories should I consider looking into? Are there any cool first/third party devices that let me take greater advantage of the media server or bluray capabilities? I don't feel that great of a drive to buy a BluRay remote given the PS2 remote I bought when it came out was horrible and I'm quite accustomed to controlling playback with a controller.

On a similar note, are there any recommended places to go for HDMI cable + whatever? So long as I'm paying shipping on an HDMI cable, I don't see any harm in picking up a game or something else if any websites have some sort of deal on this.

Based off the amount you plan on playing, and if you're comfortable with having a "charger" perma-attached to your controller, I'd recommend a charger like this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8967424&type=product&id=1218008397115

It's one of the first accessories I picked up for my PS3, and I'm smitten with it. The charge packs on it don't feel bulky, and I've never ran out of battery life on my controllers. The only issue is, unless you have gift cards, it may be a bit pricey. I have yet to find it on sale anywhere.

For HDMI cables, I'd check auctions (particularly, if you have a Sam's Club membership). At Sam's Club, their auctions on things like that tend to go very cheap compared to normal retail outlets. Only issue is they don't combine shipping on things, but the shipping tends to be dirt cheap anyways. In general, as long as you don't plan on moving your PS3 a bunch and stressing the cord, getting a cheap HDMI cable doesn't seem to be a big deal. So, anyplace that has a "cheap-o" one will do :)

For a media server, I use TVersity because it's free, but there's a deal on the PlayOn Media Server right now (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228712 - $20).

[quote name='Kurai_Seraphim']Okay, I've just purchased a new 80 Gig PS3 (The Little Big Planet + WALL-E bundle from Best Buy) and am in the market for helpful accessories.

Aside from the HDMI cable (obvious) and a larger hard drive (don't really foresee needing more than 80 gigs, though), what accessories should I consider looking into? Are there any cool first/third party devices that let me take greater advantage of the media server or bluray capabilities? I don't feel that great of a drive to buy a BluRay remote given the PS2 remote I bought when it came out was horrible and I'm quite accustomed to controlling playback with a controller.

On a similar note, are there any recommended places to go for HDMI cable + whatever? So long as I'm paying shipping on an HDMI cable, I don't see any harm in picking up a game or something else if any websites have some sort of deal on this.[/QUOTE]

If you have a Kmart anywhere near you with the HDMI/USB 2.0 two pack of cables in stock, you can pick that pack up for $8 there if they've done the updates to drop it to 90% off already.

You can also get some relative cheap games via the Kmart, Target, Sears and TRU clearance threads.

I myself picked up Folklore, Quake Wars, Condemned 2(which I traded for Heavenly Sword)and Civilization Revolution from Sears for $30 and change last month sometime.

Also, in case you didn't know, the PS3 is NOT region locked like prior consoles. What does this mean? Well, let's say you hear about a great game from overseas which doesn't seem like it's going to get a domestic release. You can import it from Play-Asia.com and play it on your PS3 with no problems whatsoever.

As for accessorites to get, if you can find a cheap Rock Band USB hub, you can use that to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, in the event you wanted to use the PS3 as more or less a computer(since you can surf the net with it too).

If you're looking for a charging device though for your controller(s), there's none better than the simple USB mini cable they give you with the system.

I found that when I tried charging them through the RB hub that the charge seemed to last only half as long.

I hope all of this helps, though I know absolutely nothing about the streaming thing, but hopefully someone will be able to help you on that front.

If no one can though, just check out the PS3 FAQ's thread on this board.

Only thing I can suggest is another controller really. The HDMI cable has pretty much been covered by these two. Oh, and PSN card or two while you're at it.

I didn't foresee needing more than 80 gigs either... as of right now I've used about 1/4 of my memory, and I bought the system in February. (For comparison, the 360 I've had since December has about 1/6 of its 60 gig used right now.) I'm pretty sure it's Little Big Planet that did it, but I suspect I'll have to upgrade by this time next year or so.

Do NOT spend more than $5 - $10 on an HDMI cable, anything over that is a ripoff.
If you can get that $1.95 deal at monoprice, go for it; I got a 10' HDMI cable from amazon for $5.99 (ran it through the wall to my wall-mounted TV).

If you are going to use the system as a blu-ray player, the bluetooth remote is great (you won't have to use a controller to play the movies).

At a cost of nearly $60 each, I don't see extra controllers as being a real necessity for many gamers anymore. This is why I've actually been considering buying a used one from GS or one of their usually deplorable third party ones, since they're WAYYYYY cheaper than the Sony branded stuff this gen.

Of course, had I known how much I was gonna loathe Legends Of Wrestlemania on PS3, I would've just kept my damn SixAxis from when I got my system and not traded it in for credit.

But looking back I still think I got a better deal for it than letting it sit here collecting dust.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']At a cost of nearly $60 each, I don't see extra controllers as being a real necessity for many gamers anymore. This is why I've actually been considering buying a used one from GS or one of their usually deplorable third party ones, since they're WAYYYYY cheaper than the Sony branded stuff this gen.

Of course, had I known how much I was gonna loathe Legends Of Wrestlemania on PS3, I would've just kept my damn SixAxis from when I got my system and not traded it in for credit.

But looking back I still think I got a better deal for it than letting it sit here collecting dust.[/QUOTE]

I think that all depends on if you have someone that comes over frequently, or that lives with you, that plays too. With games like LittleBigPlanet and UFC, I couldn't live without a second controller. A third and a fourth though? Very unnecessary.

If you use the blu-ray player a lot, the remote is a no brainer

Got kids/wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, then get a 2nd controller. You could spring for a 3rd and 4th one, but I don't even know any games that support that many local player coop outside of littlebigplanet.

Chargers are useful, like the Energizer or the Nyko ones, but I didn't find them that necessary for me. There is a stand alone PS3 usb AC to USB charger that could charge not only the controllers, but any USB powered devices that might be worth your money.

What else:

BT headset: chances are you have this already, but you might like the official one from sony, since it has a built in mute button. I really recommend getting one if you're big into multiplayer, but I've heard that the old USB headsets from the PS2 SOCOM bundle some time ago works great.

BT Keyboard: If you use the browser a lot, a good purchase. I recommend this the Logitech keyboard with built in track pad or the official one from Sony but again, not essential. You could really get away with using any old USB key board.

This is something that you may not have thought of, but instead of getting a bigger internal harddrive, you may find it to be a good idea to invest in a big EXTERNAL hard drive for a good reason: Backing up your stuff. I use an old external hard drive to shuffle movies back and forth my PC to the PS3, and I also use it for backing up game saves and whatnot, just in case.

[quote name='Fearia']I think that all depends on if you have someone that comes over frequently, or that lives with you, that plays too. With games like LittleBigPlanet and UFC, I couldn't live without a second controller. A third and a fourth though? Very unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

I agree- besides, chances are if you have a game and 2+ friends who want to play it that bad, at least one of them will probably have the system/game- and that means more controllers to borrow.

The exception would be a family-playing-together situation- but those people know who they are.

How about a memory card reader and/or memory for it. Essential for backing up savegames or transferring movies/music/pictures with. Or a USB memorystick might be a much cheaper alternative.

Keyboard- http://$$$$$$$$$$$$/5qo3yl
Headset- http://$$$$$$$$$$$$/lxyzr2
BluRay Remote- http://$$$$$$$$$$$$/m9ungy
Real Triggers- http://$$$$$$$$$$$$/nvsdcq
PS Eye- http://$$$$$$$$$$$$/m3ym2j

bread's done
Back