Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Ace Combat comes to the PS3 10/11/2011

metaly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
ACAH001_56185_screen.jpg

Project Aces is finally bringing Ace Combat to the PS3 with both single- and multiplayer modes. The game will be out next year and will feature:

• Helicopters!
  • Quicktime Events!
  • Miami!
Hooray?

Here's Gamespot's article and the reveal trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably just a generic arena. All the Ace Combat games I have played aren't based on real locations.

Also, Sold. Day 1 purchase for me.

Oh I can't wait to hammering triangle to do a barrel roll!

But, really this is great news. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Some stuff: press release, some new screens, and the official EU site: http://acecombatassaulthorizon.namcobandaigames.eu

Excerpt from the press release:

The demanding Project Aces development team at NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. in Japan weren’t satisfied. They wanted more from the series. They wanted planes that tore apart limb from limb right in front of your face, spewing their oil lifeblood across the sky. They wanted to scrape the streets and dodge the steel skyscrapers of real world cities at blistering speeds, in an enthralling war drama that spanned the globe with a web of intrigue. They wanted players to pick up the controller and become deadly combat pilots in seconds, pulling off breathtaking kills at impossible speeds, and doing battle online in a multiplayer sky littered with fiery supersonic debris. What they wanted was steel carnage in the sky.

The result is not a sequel in the multi-million selling smash hit ACE COMBAT series, but a complete rebirth, a phoenix from the ashes flying at three times the speed of sound. The Project Aces team is building ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON from the ground up, with new technology fuelling their passionately realised vision of a game that puts players in the dark heart of the fight like no aerial combat game has done before.

“For us, this is a rebirth of the Ace Combat series, and a chance for us to take the series in a completely new direction,” said Kazutoki Kono, Producer at Project Aces, NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. “We’re confident that we’re going to create a new kind of action shooting (high-speed and destruction) experience with ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON, and we’re pouring passion, vision and skill into making a game like no other. We want to bring players closer than ever to the action so they feel the energy surge through them with every shot fired.”
[quote name='Blk_Panther09']is that the American airlines arena in the picture?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Thongsy']It's probably just a generic arena. All the Ace Combat games I have played aren't based on real locations.

Also, Sold. Day 1 purchase for me.[/QUOTE]

The press release mentions that they want to use real-world locations, so that probably is American Airlines Arena, good eye. (I had to look up a photo. :))

I definitely prefer they'd stick with the imaginary Ace Combat universe, though. It allowed the designers some freedom come up with creative map/fortress/battleship designs... not to mention we got to hear crazy words like "Yuktobania." I hope they don't ground themselves too much in reality in this entry. The trailer with all the helicopters and the mounted gun and more military jargon than usual already gave me sort of a Call of Duty feeling. :whistle2:#

At least it sounds like Keiki Kobayashi is back and will be doing another awesome job with the soundtrack.

Edit: Apparently @hawkgunner is the dev team's official Twitter account, as seen in the trailer.

Any release date set? I have never played an Ace Combat game, but I am thinking of picking up the new for the PSP that's going to come out. I think I'd rather enjoy playing it on a home console than on a handheld though.

One thing I was worried about when I saw the trailer, was it looked like it had a bit of the "HAWX 3rd person weird non-assistance shit" at times and I really hope they don't do that as I think it takes away from the quality of control/movement/gameplay.
I'd prefer just having those intense low speed twirling around in circles on someone's ass kinda feeling while having to occasionally break due to a missile lock from a different aircraft.
Please don't fuck it up Namco.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yes!!

Honestly all I want is a remake of Ace Combat 4 and I'd be happy. Hopefully they can return to that level of greatness.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

Ace Combat 4 is on my top 5 all time favorite video games list.

#5 was decent at best and #6 was an improvement over #5
I will replay 5 one of these days, as I just picked up the flight stick at a local used game place for $20. :)

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Any release date set? I have never played an Ace Combat game, but I am thinking of picking up the new for the PSP that's going to come out. I think I'd rather enjoy playing it on a home console than on a handheld though.[/QUOTE]

It is better on a home system, and Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies is the best reviewed and most favored of all the series. You can get it on the cheap at most video game stores with it being in the "$10 or less bins". Very worth your time and the graphics still hold up pretty well.

The previous PSP release (Ace Combat X) wasn't that bad although it was a bit short and you might be able to pick that up for less than 20.

Good luck.

-FrankCastleAZ

[quote name='Blk_Panther09']is that the American airlines arena in the picture?[/QUOTE]

Sure is... and if you look where the smoke is coming from that may be the Miami Arena.

Its about fucking time they release an Ace Combat game for the PS3.

New TGS 2010 trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6KeI5DNw40

This has a lot of potential. I mean we're talking a possible step up from what Ace Combat 4 was. Really hope they don't screw up the narrative/dialogue.

The showdown with Yellow Squadron in Shattered Skies was one of the most intense and immersive gaming moments I ever had. Let's hope they can match it.

EDIT: Just read it's being built for Move and Kinect as well, kind of worried now.

As long as there's still traditional controller support (which there must be), I'm fine with that.

I hope the Kinect controls involve sticking your arms out to the side and going "VRRROOOMM! FWOOSH!"

I see no one here has played Joint Assault because that is what Assault Horizon's gameplay is modeled after including the ECV system which served no real purpose other than a cinematic view imo. One of the many concerns I have for this is whether or not giant fortresses/super weapons/planes will be shown and if they intend to have more "rail shooter" events included in the game as shown in the trailers. So far it just looks like the gameplay has been dumbed down considerably.

Namco announced a release date at their recent press event: October 11.

Maybe PSN will be back up by then lollllllllllllllllll. (This post will be extra hilarious/tragic in October.)

New video shows what looks like most of the tutorial. (Light spoilers?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSfPUbuhZrA

I've been hearing a lot of people talking about dogfight mode since E3 and I was pretty worried that it would be sort of a paint-by-numbers mode like in HAWX. It looks like that's what's going on in the tutorial. Hopefully it's an optional addition on top of the standard gameplay, although there have definitely been a few tough dogfights where I could have used something like that.

I'm more worried that setting it in the real world won't allow them to be as, er, creative with the story as they typically are. Also will we get to shoot down another satellite??

(Ace Combat 4+5 HD collection plz.)

I was slightly interested in this...until I saw the Battlefield 3 trailer yesterday. With the inclusion of jet fighters in BF3 I don't really see myself getting this.

[quote name='metaly']

Also will we get to shoot down another satellite??

(Ace Combat 4+5 HD collection plz.)[/QUOTE]

Joint Assault was set in the real world, but at least it had a flying fortress. Don't see anything of the sort with AC:AH. Also, you forgot 'Zero: The Belkan War' in that HD collection. :p

[quote name='metaly']
The box art makes me :cry:[/QUOTE]

Same since I am just fond of AC4's box art template for the series.

[quote name='SynGamer']I was slightly interested in this...until I saw the Battlefield 3 trailer yesterday. With the inclusion of jet fighters in BF3 I don't really see myself getting this.[/QUOTE]
I doubt Battlefield 3 will do it as good. Ace Combat is perfection. ;)

I wanted to play ace combat so bad, but I didn't get it cause it was an xbox exclusive. Now my interest has lessened for the series. I'll pick this up when it GH price.

I feel kind of the same way, my interest has declined since it's been so long since the last PS2 one. I'll probably pick it up when it hits $40 or so.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I doubt Battlefield 3 will do it as good. Ace Combat is perfection. ;)[/QUOTE]

That will likely be entirely true...but for someone such as myself, this series has always been "cool" for a few hours/missions and then that effect wares off. With BF3, I get a little bit of everything, and judging from the videos, the controls for flying the jets looks pretty damn responsive, aka, fun :D

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I doubt Battlefield 3 will do it as good. Ace Combat is perfection. ;)[/QUOTE]

top Gun (nes) I love ace combat but it still doesn't touch that game. Lol on top gun landing the plane on the carrier was more intense than the combat itself.

[quote name='SynGamer']That will likely be entirely true...but for someone such as myself, this series has always been "cool" for a few hours/missions and then that effect wares off. With BF3, I get a little bit of everything, and judging from the videos, the controls for flying the jets looks pretty damn responsive, aka, fun :D[/QUOTE]Believe me, I love flight type of games, which is why I was willing to try most everyone released (from Air Force Delta games, Aerowings, Aerofighters Assault, HAWX, etc.) and none of them played as great as Ace Combat. I sort of agree Ace Combat games tend to not be as interesting after a while when playing single player.

Still going to buy this, maybe on release.

Demo has two missions. First one is the training mission in Miami and the second one is a helicopter mission.

Tried the demo. The fighter mission was awesome. It felt like good old Ace Combat, and this may be sacrilegious but the new Dogfight Mode was very cool. It's definitely sort of an "easy mode" toggle in that it helps you track your target, but what really sold it for me was the whole experience of it: the whoosh of air as the camera zooms in, the way the enemy plane stays focused in the center as clouds and buildings streak past around it, and then of course the huge cloud of oil and debris at the end. It's visceral and makes every engagement feel like an intense battle. Also the evasive maneuver you can do is extremely badass.

Then the helicopter mission... ugh, what a complete contrast. You can tell this is a brand new addition: it's totally unpolished and doesn't feel at all like you're flying an actual helicopter. You're stuck between either the cockpit views, which means you can't see your surroundings and therefore bump into buildings all the time (Just bump into them! Nothing really bad happens.), or the exterior camera which is zoomed in so far that the helicopter takes up most of the screen. It's dramatic but it really obscures the targets you're supposed to be shooting (which are difficult to see to begin with). And speaking of zoom, you spend a lot of time near the ground and moving slowly. The environmental graphics really do not stand up well to those sort of conditions, so helicopter mode is pretty ugly to watch. I really hope the full game is mostly jets. Project Aces is so good at doing jet combat that the series really doesn't need helicopters, at least not in this form.

Other thoughts: The audio lacked Ace Combat 6's incredible surround depth, but maybe that's just a quirk with the demo. The music during the fighter mission is the track they've used in all the trailers and is still excellent. Can't wait to hear more.

In conclusion... The jet mission was so good that I thought about maybe picking this up day one. After trying the helicopter, I'll wait or at least look for a significant deal.

[quote name='metaly']Tried the demo. The fighter mission was awesome. It felt like good old Ace Combat, and this may be sacrilegious but the new Dogfight Mode was very cool. It's definitely sort of an "easy mode" toggle in that it helps you track your target, but what really sold it for me was the whole experience of it: the whoosh of air as the camera zooms in, the way the enemy plane stays focused in the center as clouds and buildings streak past around it, and then of course the huge cloud of oil and debris at the end. It's visceral and makes every engagement feel like an intense battle. Also the evasive maneuver you can do is extremely badass.

Then the helicopter mission... ugh, what a complete contrast. You can tell this is a brand new addition: it's totally unpolished and doesn't feel at all like you're flying an actual helicopter. You're stuck between either the cockpit views, which means you can't see your surroundings and therefore bump into buildings all the time (Just bump into them! Nothing really bad happens.), or the exterior camera which is zoomed in so far that the helicopter takes up most of the screen. It's dramatic but it really obscures the targets you're supposed to be shooting (which are difficult to see to begin with). And speaking of zoom, you spend a lot of time near the ground and moving slowly. The environmental graphics really do not stand up well to those sort of conditions, so helicopter mode is pretty ugly to watch. I really hope the full game is mostly jets. Project Aces is so good at doing jet combat that the series really doesn't need helicopters, at least not in this form.

Other thoughts: The audio lacked Ace Combat 6's incredible surround depth, but maybe that's just a quirk with the demo. The music during the fighter mission is the track they've used in all the trailers and is still excellent. Can't wait to hear more.

In conclusion... The jet mission was so good that I thought about maybe picking this up day one. After trying the helicopter, I'll wait or at least look for a significant deal.[/QUOTE]
Thats pretty much how I feel. The only Ace Combat I ever played was 4, and it was awesome. The jet mission brought me right back to 4 and I felt right at home, even with the new changes

The helicopter mission sucked. I couldn't even really see exactly what my targets were supposed to be.

Maybe it was me but I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo. It felt fine but I expected more since it's been roughly five years since the last PS2 Ace Combat game. I'll give the demo another try but I'll still pick it up either way since I have it preordered at Amazon for $45 + 10 dollar credit.

I was disappointed by the demo. It just reassured me that I will not be using CRA, because it just feels too scripted/on rails with nerfed cannons. Cinematic view or not, I like to be in full control of my plane. I am glad you are able to turn it off in the main game. As for the helicopter portion, I can do without. It was fun firing rocket pods at strafing hinds though.

bread's done
Back