Ad ware/spy ware remover

sendme

CAGiversary!
I know it has been asked in the past and chances are I'm one that has asked only I didnt see it on here. So I'm going to ask again what is a good FREE adware/spyware remover? Ended up with a virus on my computer and dont know how but it would not let me use IE or Fire Fox for long and had nothing but pop ups when using them. Odd thing is AVG would not get rid of the virus so I reformatted. I'm just now puting everything back on. Also is AVG still the better free virus scanner?

I'm also looking for a new free utility to supplement Spybot. I had been using Ad Aware SE for years and loved it but they stopped providing updates for it so I recently downloaded their new Ad Aware 2007 version. I hate it. Even on smart scan it takes hours to scan my computer or hangs before finishing when the old version ran in about 5 minutes. I have never seen a full scan finish yet. What's worse is that it wasn't as effective at find everything that the SE version used to such as Windows Media Player history and other "non-critical" items that the SE version found every time it ran.

While looking around the net for the last couple days I have seen recommendations for the more recently updated free version of SuperAntiSpyware but have not downloaded it to try it out yet.

I had checked AVG but when I went to their site it said their free anti spyware has been discontinued and only available in their retail package.

Spybot. Although my dad recently managed to contract a particularly pernicious version of the Vundo/Virtumonde spyrus that even dear old Spybot couldn't remove. That was the first time it had failed to remove malware in my experience.

Spybot sucks now. It hasnt been good in a few years. Just a heads up, dont even bother with it anymore. Stick with something like AVG or SpyDoctor.

I use AVG because I am too cheap to buy Norton, which I prefer. I havent used spybot in a long time, didnt realize it went downhill. I still use ad aware though, and highly recommend that. Its great :D

[quote name='space_monkey']I'm also looking for a new free utility to supplement Spybot. I had been using Ad Aware SE for years and loved it but they stopped providing updates for it so I recently downloaded their new Ad Aware 2007 version. I hate it. Even on smart scan it takes hours to scan my computer or hangs before finishing when the old version ran in about 5 minutes. I have never seen a full scan finish yet. What's worse is that it wasn't as effective at find everything that the SE version used to such as Windows Media Player history and other "non-critical" items that the SE version found every time it ran.

While looking around the net for the last couple days I have seen recommendations for the more recently updated free version of SuperAntiSpyware but have not downloaded it to try it out yet.

I had checked AVG but when I went to their site it said their free anti spyware has been discontinued and only available in their retail package.[/quote]

I'm with you on Adaware turning into crap. The thing hangs and crashes all the time. They should have just left what was right alone and not gone and updated it.

Thanks for the suggestion on SuperAntiSpyware. I used to use SpywareTerminator, but haven't in awhile so I don't know if that's any good.

The new versions of Spybot and AdAware totally suck. Spybot has laughably poor detection rates. The new AdAware 2007, which lasted on my system all of 30 minutes, has some intensive process that runs in the background all the time.

Too bad, because a few years ago Spybot/AdAware was a sure-fire combo.

bread's done
Back