Add a feature: 360. What would you add/change?

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
There are recurring gripes on 360 issues that all of us wish could be changed: the crappy d-pad, a quieter DVD drive, a better cooling system... but what about unconventional features that aren't your typical "gripe"? Is there something you would add to the 360 that you know won't happen? I was thinking about this the other day when I was watching a DVD and got an invite to GoW. I was very comfortable and didn't want to get up to switch discs.

If there was one thing I wish my 360 had (or all my consoles for that matter), it would be a 3-6 disc changer. I didn't see another topic like this, so either pwn me and link it or mention some things you wish you could change.

I was discussing the disc changer with someone and it would just make life sooo much easier. I would liek to add motion sensing though.

well besides hdmi, as the previous poster said, I would want to have more options in modding/customising my console itself

Ditto on the hard drive.

On the practical side I just want a friggin QWERTY keypad for text messaging. I'm sure it can be done via Dash update just a matter of demand.

FREAKIN MULTI PERSON VOICE CHAT! My god, it was on the original XBox on the fucking main menu, WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN BROUGHT TO 360!?

[quote name='Scorch']FREAKIN MULTI PERSON VOICE CHAT! My god, it was on the original XBox on the fucking main menu, WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN BROUGHT TO 360!?[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

[quote name='Scorch']FREAKIN MULTI PERSON VOICE CHAT! My god, it was on the original XBox on the fucking main menu, WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN BROUGHT TO 360!?[/QUOTE]

I'm convinced this will be included in a major dashboard update. Hopefully the Spring update.

[quote name='guyver2077']how bout multi person video chats... that would be cool if you can invite more people in.[/quote]

I don't want to see anyone, much less multiple people.

The ability to sign on to your account automatically to "Appear Offline". My friends and family sometimes use my 360 when I'm out and then people send me game requests/chat invites/messages that they don't reply to and I look like I'm snubbing people's offers.

Also, I wish if you only have one save device (HDD) games would stop prompting me to choose which save device when loading and saving games. It seems so inconvenient to do so. I know in FIFA 07 I have to select the device at least twice just to get the game loaded. Just know I only have one device and choose it automatically.

[quote name='guyver2077']VIDEO CHAT ROOMS FTW![/quote]
I really don't want to see you doing Goldberg poses and DemoMan showing off his wrestling doll collection.

And some people here need to learn the difference between a feature and a function. If I could insert one game, have it load an iso of it, then two others, then be able to switch between them on the fly, THAT would be awesome.

How would a DVD changer even work? Just buy one of those robot toys and train them to do it :D

For any type of custom soundtrack, I'd like the ability to map the "skip" function to a free button on the controller. Like in Burnout 3 on XBOX (you could just press the Black button to skip songs during the game). I guess this technically would be a function of the games rather than the 360, but I'd love to have it either way. I stream all the music off my PC at once, and a lot of times I wanna skip around until a really rockin song comes on. But I can't be messing around with the Guide menu in the heat battle.

Nothing that wasn't mentioned:

-good d-pad
-quiet DVD-ROM drive (and quieter)
-redesign with integrated PSU and a non-proprietary hard drive ala the PS3 + ability to use memory cards
-free online play I guess, although I don't care that much since I don't like online play
-continue working on backwards compatibility (and make the next X-Box hopefully hardware backwards compatible with this one, along with the software compatibility from this one)
-a better DVD player interface. It's TERRIBLE, at least with the controller.

While I'd like to see HDMI (via cable/adapter, not a new console) and (gasp) an internet browser, my most requested thing would be the ability to use non-Microsoft storage devices...hard drives, memory cards, whatever.

The ability to change the sound of the pop-up window when someone comes online, or you get an achievement.
The ability to change you message from "away" Sometimes I'll be downloading something and leave the house. I don't want to seem like a prick and ignore people's invites. I could leave a message that said "downloading on marketplace not at console" or something to that effect.

Also
Slot loading dvd drive, and multi-person voice chat. Longer battery life on the controllers. I swear I didn't change the batteries in my wave bird for 2 years or so.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Built in Wifi. I'm sure everyone will agree with this one.[/QUOTE]

Nope it would cost me $400 at least to change my home over to wireless.

Having the HD drive is nice, you can be watching a DVD and still have a game in the main Xbox. It plays DVDs better than the internal drive also.

I think they should improve the community and web features: web browser, game reviews, messageboards, chat.

[quote name='Scorch']FREAKIN MULTI PERSON VOICE CHAT! My god, it was on the original XBox on the fucking main menu, WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN BROUGHT TO 360!?[/quote]_

People mentioned Divx and Xvid support. I agree with this, I hate how we're tied down to the WMV format. Divx, Xvid, H.264, just support multiple codecs for crying out loud. Hell, even Quicktime support would be great- though I think it will be a cold day in hell before QT works on an MS product.

I mean, I UNDERSTAND that MS wants to support it's own product (wmv), but come on- most video files on the web are not in their proprietary codec. If they really want the 360 to function as a media center in their vision of the "digital home" they need to embrace the file formats people would want to use.

A clear blue Halo edition 360 with forerunner hieroglyphics that glow on the unit and control.

Multiple color controls

battery charger built onto opposite side of HDD.

[quote name='Scorch']I really don't want to see you doing Goldberg poses and DemoMan showing off his wrestling doll collection.

:D[/quote]

LMAO!!!!

that would be so funny...anyways..

i hate thinking of features i would want because i know they prob wont happen..

i guess id be happy if they used custom soundtracks the way they used to on xbox 1... they dont seem to work as well.

I guess hdmi would be nice but not crucial..again its not a huge difference but i guess i would care more once i have a 1080p tv

a web browser/outlook would be neat..maybe integrate a little more with live messenger (msn)

better d pad is a must...this shoulda been good from day one.. now they have to release another controller.

In order of importance:

Quiet down the system significantly - possibly coming with the CPU die shrink.
Non-proprietary HDD or, at the very least, cheaper or more spacious HDD options.
Wireless onboard, or at least significantly cheaper as an add-on.

[quote name='CitizenB']Nope it would cost me $400 at least to change my home over to wireless.[/QUOTE]

What the hell would cost you that much? Plug a wireless router into your existing setup - you can find a decent b or g router for around $20 that'd also provide a 4 port wired hub - and you'd be good to go.

I don't know where you'd come up with "at least $400". Maybe if you changed everything in your house to be wireless? Even then I'm not sure how it'd cost you that much.

I want an official adapter for all of my original Xbox controller/accessories. This way I can use my Smartjoy Frag without having to pay some $40 for a new KBAM adapter.

Also, a quicker/better menu system. Even after the last update it still lags. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the PS3s XMB.

I wonder if a disc changer has ever been considered on CD/DVD based consoles. It seems like a logical step, especially given the nature of Xbox Live and the ability to send invites to other games and control everything from opening the tray to powering up/down the console via the controller. The more I think about it the more I want it :(

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I thought it was interesting that a lot of these features are already available on the PS3. If you did a similar poll on the PS3 forum, you'd probably get a bunch of features that are on the 360.

[quote name='CitizenB']
Nope it would cost me $400 at least to change my home over to wireless.[/QUOTE]
This has already been commented on, but yeah. I fail to see how adding wireless would cost anywhere near that. You don't have to have *everything* wireless. What is currently wired can stay wired. Just add a wireless router to the mix.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The ability to sign on to your account automatically to "Appear Offline". My friends and family sometimes use my 360 when I'm out and then people send me game requests/chat invites/messages that they don't reply to and I look like I'm snubbing people's offers.[/QUOTE]
Can't you just make a "guest" account for them to use?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']DirectX10 support.[/quote]
That would be cool but it's not possible.
For a feature to add I would have to go with support for the original Xbox DVD remote.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Except for all the people who only have broadband/DSL[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with WIFI? All you need is a cheap wireless gateway to have the WIFI work with your Broadband service.

A web browser with full QWERTY keyboard and mouse support, flash support, and support for Quicktime and DIVX files.

That would pwn.

I'd like for the 360 to recognize what games are in the tray where it says "open tray" and "close tray". It can recognize what kind of disk is in the tray (ex: DVD disk, xbox disk, xbox 360 disk), but not the title of whatever is in there. I'd just like to see a title in the area at the bottom because I always have a stack of games and movies by my 360 and its too much of a inconvenience to open the tray just to see whats inside.

I'm pretty sure that it can be implemented in a firmware update, so hopefully in the future it comes into fruition.

bread's done
Back