Adding more RAM?

yellowaznboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Sorry if this sounds newbish:

Say, I have 512 MB DDR Ram (256x2), and I want to add another 512 MB RAM. Should I go with a single 512 MB stick of RAM, or put 2x256 MB into the other two Dimms? This computer has 4 Dimms (2 occupied already) and supports up to 4 GB of RAM.

The reason I ask is because I read that for optimal performance, you should pair two identical sticks of ram into the appropriate memory modules. Basically, I want to know if mixing size of memory will affect the computer's performance. Also, I know there are different kinds of speeds. Would mixing RAM with different speeds also affect performance? Finally, how do I tell what kind of RAM I have in my computer?

Thanks!

I recently had questions about a similar question. To find out what kind of RAM you have without checking the sticks themselves, download a program. For example, Sandra or EVEREST would be good choices.

Now, different speeds does effect RAM performance. If you have a speed of X and a speed of Y, (X being lower), the computer will use the speed performance of the lower, or X.

I've heard that DualChannel RAM is faster than just a stick, but I'm unsure.

Thanks. So, if I were to add 2x512 MB RAM into slot 2 and 4 and leave the 2x256 MB in slots 1 and 3, I would have an effective ~1.5 GB RAM running at optimal speed?

Your computer manuel should tell you what kind of ram you need to upgrade. What kind of computer do you have?

bread's done
Back