Adv Wars: Dual Strike vs Days of Ruin? [For a Casual gamer]

ChernobylCow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Dual Strike is $37
Days of Ruin is $19
on Amazon.

I'm looking to buy these as a gift for someone who is a familiar/capable casual player of Civilization 4 on PC and loves other games like Plants VS Zombies, Oblivion, and Puzzle Quest.

I might be able to get Days of Ruin quickly off Goozex w/o spending any money. But as a game series' purist I'd like the gift to be the first in the series if that is necessary.

That huge price gap seems to indicate that Dual Strike has many more features than Days of Ruin. All I know is that DoR is more post-apocalyptic. Anyone have any plus or minuses? Compare?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Dual Strike is $37
Days of Ruin is $19
on Amazon.

I'm looking to buy these as a gift for someone who is a familiar/capable casual player of Civilization 4 on PC and loves other games like Plants VS Zombies, Oblivion, and Puzzle Quest.

I might be able to get Days of Ruin quickly off Goozex w/o spending any money. But as a game series' purist I'd like the gift to be the first in the series if that is necessary.

That huge price gap seems to indicate that Dual Strike has many more features than Days of Ruin. All I know is that DoR is more post-apocalyptic. Anyone have any plus or minuses? Compare?[/QUOTE]

Well if the person you're buying for has never played the series before, they may not care too much about the difference between Dual Strike and Days of Ruin. I mean they were both fun, but Days of Ruin just didn't really feel like Advance Wars to me since they took out a lot of the old features and replaced it with some new ones which sort of took away from the whole Advance War feel. But since they've never played the first one, they may not care some of the original features were taken out, but Days of Ruin did add some other features too, so its not like they stripped Days of Ruin of features, they just replaced a lot of them.

Also, this is at TRU for $10, so if you can't get it off Goozex, you should try and hit up a TRU and see if they have them in stock.

Also, you should put up a poll ^___^

The core gameplay is pretty much the same between these two games. But if I have a choose between these two I choose Dual Strike.

In Dual Strike there are some rpg elements which make the game easier. Your commanders powers are much stronger/crazier and there's a hard mode for story mode. Some of these elements were taken from Days of Ruin to balance the units for online play(which is terrible. The battles are slow and people take too much time moving their units).

I enjoyed both but would go with Days of Ruin due to the price. Then you could pick up a second game for your friend like EndWar for the DS at TRU for $10 also.

Dual Strike is my favorite, but I also own and enjoy Days of Ruin. Both are great, but Dual Strike has more replayabllity for me, since for some reason I feel the need to unlock every wallpaper and get every medal (Days of Ruin also has a medal feature, but it never held my interest). However for the price (and even at full price) Days of Ruin is a great game.

Well both are great games. Days of Ruin has a more serious story, but slightly less features. If they were the same price, I'd have a tough time deciding. But for that big of a price difference, I'd say go with Days of Ruin no question.

Dual Strike is the one I prefer, but due to the online and large price difference, I'd have to say get Days of Ruin.

mortalgroove- AW: DoR is being clearanced at TRU so it's in-store only.

OP- I would go with DS but if money is an issue then go with DoR.

Well thanks for the input everybody. I found Dual Strike from a fellow CAG at a good price! I think it'll be a good gift. I remember playing the original advance wars gba back in the day and it was great.

bread's done
Back