Advantages to owning a Mac?

[quote name='Access_Denied']With a Mac, you never have to deal with that stupid fucking hourglass, as it never has to load. You never have to deal with viruses. You never have to deal with a delay between clicking the mouse and seeing it on the screen. You never have to deal with the BSOD. And, as an added bonus, it looks ridiculously awesome. And, if for some odd reason, you need Windows, install XP and dual-boot.[/quote]

On windows, or linux, you can turn off the hourglass if you want. On a mac, there is no viruses, but there are lots of exploits. It does not look awesome, it looks like low-end budget computer, with the colored circles. That's just retarded looking. If for some reason you need OSX, just grab VMWare or Virtualbox. All your points are quite...well...pointless XD

[quote name='Oktoberfest']just bring a DS or a PSP :D

I've learned that laptop gaming isn't really worth the extra cost[/QUOTE]

Really

I don't understand why people spend a lot of extra $$$ on a laptop that they can game on when, in reality, they actually paying more for a heavy, battery sucking, soon to be out of date computer that they can't upgrade.

If you really have to game, stick with emulators or buy a DS.

[quote name='blueaurora']Get a Mac if you like overpriced hardware... lack of misc software... and have a Napoleon complex! ([/quote]

lack of misc software? have you used a mac? I got mine thinking at first, ill probably hate OS X and use bootcamp for xp. i dont even touch windows xp now except at work(voip engineer/end users pcs). everything u wanna do on windows u can do on mac...and vise versa. hardware is overpriced but u are paying that to be able to use osx, which has cheap software in comparison. iWork(has its version powerpoint, word, excel) $79.

+1 on Gaming on a laptop is retarded.

[quote name='JolietJake']Steve Jobs will come to your house and personally fellate you.[/quote]

Speaking of which...Steve Jobs hasn't been looking too good lately. He lost a lot of weight.

[quote name='Xevious']I hate Macs with a passion but I do have enough balls to admit that there are no real differences between Macs and PCs functionally...

Really its a choice on personal tastes...

(One more personal note, since I use Softimage...that program will not run on Macs so its even more of a no brainer that I am a PC user)[/quote]

You sound kind of like one of my friends. Every time we came in contact with someone at Penny Arcade Expo that was using a Mac that I was talking he'd go off some long diatribe about much Macs suck and how we're both big $$$s for using them. Although I hope you are a bigger person about hating Macs than my friend is. Which is another thing I dont understand, why do people have to go around telling people how much Macs suck and how they are idiots for buying it or even going as far as questioning their sexual preferences because of the computer they bought. Why is this of any consequence to your day to day life. Why does this hate need to exist towards other people just based on the computer they bought.

I want to note that this is not directed at you Xevious, just the first part about sounding like my friend and his intense hate of all things Apple.

As for all this hate towards "gaming on a laptop". Why does everyone care so much about how other people spend their money. I need a laptop that I can edit photos on, edit videos and I'd also like to play Fallout 3 while Im gone (Im having a copy of it mailed to me from a friend in the states). I was more than willing to pay money for a piece of hardware that will perform quickly regardless what I throw at it. When did this stigma against gaming on a laptop develop anyways? Why is it such a big deal?

One last point. The no hour glass/waiting on the Macs is not true. There is no hourglass, there is a beachball/pin wheel instead. Wait's do happen, not often, but they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sporadic']Really

I don't understand why people spend a lot of extra $$$ on a laptop that they can game on when, in reality, they actually paying more for a heavy, battery sucking, soon to be out of date computer that they can't upgrade.

If you really have to game, stick with emulators or buy a DS.[/quote]

Onn a side note, I find Windows to have much better and more efficient power options. Battery life on Windows systems can definitely get around an hour longer battery life than Mac and Linux running similar/identical hardware and software.

Question to the OP, if you do get a Mac, it's seems like you're keen on dual booting windows. Now, where are you going to get Windows? It sure doesn't grow on trees. Transferring windows from a desktop to a laptop doesn't sound like a great plan either.

[quote name='option.iv']Onn a side note, I find Windows to have much better and more efficient power options. Battery life on Windows systems can definitely get around an hour longer battery life than Mac and Linux running similar/identical hardware and software.

.[/QUOTE]

I would have to disagree, atleast based on my experience with my Macbook Pro. I get 4-5 hours on my Macbook Pro on the battery. I get 2-3 on XP. But as I said that is just my personal experience on my system.

[quote name='magiic']You sound kind of like one of my friends. Every time we came in contact with someone at Penny Arcade Expo that was using a Mac that I was talking he'd go off some long diatribe about much Macs suck and how we're both big $$$s for using them. Although I hope you are a bigger person about hating Macs than my friend is. Which is another thing I dont understand, why do people have to go around telling people how much Macs suck and how they are idiots for buying it or even going as far as questioning their sexual preferences because of the computer they bought. Why is this of any consequence to your day to day life. Why does this hate need to exist towards other people just based on the computer they bought.

I want to note that this is not directed at you Xevious, just the first part about sounding like my friend and his intense hate of all things Apple.
[/quote]

I do hate Macs but to tell you the truth, I rarely tell people that in public. And I definately do not go around telling that their Macs suck...Thats language is too strong and frankly I don't care what computers people use.

Some Macheads have said some bad things to me since I use a PC but really.....

pic323912.gif

I had a Mac pre-OSX. It was okay but felt limiting. Basically use whatever will run the programs you need/want to run. After that it's all preference.

[quote name='Access_Denied']With a Mac, you never have to deal with that stupid fucking hourglass, as it never has to load. You never have to deal with viruses. You never have to deal with a delay between clicking the mouse and seeing it on the screen. You never have to deal with the BSOD. And, as an added bonus, it looks ridiculously awesome. And, if for some odd reason, you need Windows, install XP and dual-boot.[/quote]

Lol, I haven't seen a BSOD since 98SE. XP, especially since SP1 is incredibly stable. Apple's have BSODs, in the form of kernel panics. You also need to watch out for corrupted plists - not sure there's even a Windows equivalent.

The biggest problem I have with Apples is choice. You are buying into a hardware MONOPOLY. I say if you have no problem giving up the liberty and freedom of choice, then Apple is perfect for you. I have a big problem with that, so I continue to stick with PCs.

Someone mentioned engineers early on - all the engineers I know use Linux. EEs, CEs, ME's, etc. I'm probably the only engineer in my circle who doesn't know Linux yet haha. Regardless, the important thing is that like Windows, Linux allows the freedom of choice, Apple does not.

*Though if you can build your own, via Hackintosh route.

[quote name='mav451']Lol, I haven't seen a BSOD since 98SE. XP, especially since SP1 is incredibly stable. Apple's have BSODs, in the form of kernel panics. You also need to watch out for corrupted plists - not sure there's even a Windows equivalent.

The biggest problem I have with Apples is choice. You are buying into a hardware MONOPOLY. I say if you have no problem giving up the liberty and freedom of choice, then Apple is perfect for you. I have a big problem with that, so I continue to stick with PCs.

Someone mentioned engineers early on - all the engineers I know use Linux. EEs, CEs, ME's, etc. I'm probably the only engineer in my circle who doesn't know Linux yet haha. Regardless, the important thing is that like Windows, Linux allows the freedom of choice, Apple does not.

*Though if you can build your own, via Hackintosh route.[/QUOTE]
well for desktops, everyone knows that PCs are the choice to go with, but with notebooks (which I believe the OP was inquiring about), it can be a whole different story

[quote name='option.iv']Onn a side note, I find Windows to have much better and more efficient power options. Battery life on Windows systems can definitely get around an hour longer battery life than Mac and Linux running similar/identical hardware and software.

Question to the OP, if you do get a Mac, it's seems like you're keen on dual booting windows. Now, where are you going to get Windows? It sure doesn't grow on trees. Transferring windows from a desktop to a laptop doesn't sound like a great plan either.[/quote]

I got my copy of XP Pro for around $90 on NewEgg...it is easy to find, but again costs more $$...but if you are on a tight budget where that makes a big difference you shouldn't really be getting a Mac anyways...it is not a budget computer.

For me personally I got my mac for music production (Using Logic 8 Studio) and for that it needs the powerful processors and such and it is great to take around to do recordings or do a live show (but as of now I'm just recording). So for this laptop I don't think I would have bought it purely for gaming (probably would have got something spec'd more like an Alienware). But music production on this is great.

If you're into using any type of software that has a small user-base/niche, you don't want a Mac. For example, I use all types of PC-only software on my computer, mostly emulators. When it comes to emulators for certain systems on PC, you often have quite a bit of variety to choose from. However, with Mac's, there's often no equivalent counterpart. I have Mac and Red Hat labs at my university which I use sometimes, actually, I'm forced to use a Mac lab to print free biology stuff... god I hate that lab. Office never works. Adobe Acrobat Reader never works... Now let me complain about the Linux lab. People always say that Linux is more streamlined and therefore faster? Those computers crawl when using Linux... luckily, all I gotta do to get Windows XP back up is to reboot.. so, no big deal. I'm still really pissed that my bio lab switched to Mac's though.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I have Mac and Red Hat labs at my university which I use sometimes, actually, I'm forced to use a Mac lab to print free biology stuff... god I hate that lab. Office never works. Adobe Acrobat Reader never works... Now let me complain about the Linux lab. People always say that Linux is more streamlined and therefore faster? Those computers crawl when using Linux... luckily, all I gotta do to get Windows XP back up is to reboot.. so, no big deal. I'm still really pissed that my bio lab switched to Mac's though.[/quote]

Sounds like you have some extremely qualified IT folks at your lab.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Sounds like you have some extremely qualified IT folks at your lab.[/quote]

Right. And since I don't have high enough user access I can't even wipe my own account without stopping by the IT office.. it's bullshit they need to bring the PC's back.

I do have one good thing to say about Mac's though. There's currently a driver that lets you use the PS3 Eye on Mac... there's no driver for Windows yet. :cry:

[quote name='mav451']Lol, I haven't seen a BSOD since 98SE. XP, especially since SP1 is incredibly stable. Apple's have BSODs, in the form of kernel panics. You also need to watch out for corrupted plists - not sure there's even a Windows equivalent.

*Though if you can build your own, via Hackintosh route.[/quote]

I just realized that after all these years, I've only heard random people on the internet talk about Linux and have yet to see it running in real life :lol:

I don't get why people recommend these open source DIY operating systems to people who clearly just want to buy a PC and have it work out of the box. I've rarely read a "I just switched from XP/OSX to Linux and it's so much better!" comment.

I dunno, I figure the thread is already straying off topic, so why not go here.

When Mac users call in for troubleshooting, it reminds me of a period: once a month and unpleasant.

The Mac user knows next to nothing about a computer. That is the same as the Windows user.

However, the Mac user claims I don't know what I'm doing because I'm using a Windows computer and don't own a Mac at home.

I smile and politely ask the customer to open the Terminal application.

The customer can't ask me how to open the Terminal application because I'm dumb for using Windows.

The customer then fidgets for five minutes.

After five minutes, I hand over the support number to Apple and bid the customer a good month.

Mac? It doesn't fix stupid either.

if you got the cash, go for it. i doubt it will really matter with what youre doing. there arent many games, but hey, blizzard still releases all games for mac, so you can play wow or starcraft 2 or diablo 3, those 3 games alone can keep you busy for years. but as others have said, viruses and malware are only going to increase over the next couple of years, so if thats a strong selling point, you should take that into consideration.

The only thing that keeps Apple afloat is the fact that they don't sell MacOS separately from their computers. If they did, they'd be screwed, they know this too.

Want the software, buy the computer. If you could build your own computer and just buy the software, Apple would lose out on the sale of their over priced hardware.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Macs are good if you don't understand computers.

If you like being trendy though, go for it.[/QUOTE]

Idiot... some people here used macs WAY BEFORE they became as you call it... trendy.... they just make a good product... years ago, they were all but forgotten... not they are so big there are people who hate them... they have to be doing something right

Being an artist, macs have ALWAYS been the preferred computer of choice by me... I hate windows

[quote name='JolietJake']The only thing that keeps Apple afloat is the fact that they don't sell MacOS separately from their computers. If they did, they'd be screwed, they know this too.

Want the software, buy the computer. If you could build your own computer and just buy the software, Apple would lose out on the sale of their over priced hardware.[/QUOTE]

They do sell it seperately and you can theoretically build your own computer and put leopard on it. It's not nearly as easy to do and simplified as PC's obviously but the whole Hackintosh movement is chugging along.

[quote name='JolietJake']The only thing that keeps Apple afloat is the fact that they don't sell MacOS separately from their computers. If they did, they'd be screwed, they know this too.

Want the software, buy the computer. If you could build your own computer and just buy the software, Apple would lose out on the sale of their over priced hardware.[/quote]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=Leopard&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq4c656f70617264%7E%7Encabcat0500000%23%231%23%235&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

So you're saying in an alternate reality where Apple doesn't make hardware and doesn't have the Ipod line and only relied on OSX sales, they'd go under? With all due respect, what's your point? You can come up with analogous situations like that for any company.

Also, they make a shitload of money on Ipods too...but if the Ipod didn't play music and only displayed tiny pictures while outputting a high-pitched screeching sound , it wouldn't sell nearly as much.

[quote name='magiic']They do sell it seperately and you can theoretically build your own computer and put leopard on it. It's not nearly as easy to do and simplified as PC's obviously but the whole Hackintosh movement is chugging along.[/quote]
I'm talking about buying a copy of MacOS like you would a copy of windows, they aren't there and they probably never will be.

[quote name='ninja dog']http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=Leopard&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq4c656f70617264%7E%7Encabcat0500000%23%231%23%235&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

So you're saying in an alternate reality where Apple doesn't make hardware and doesn't have the Ipod line and only relied on OSX sales, they'd go under? With all due respect, what's your point? You can come up with analogous situations like that for any company.

Also, they make a shitload of money on Ipods too...but if the Ipod didn't play music and only displayed tiny pictures while outputting a high-pitched screeching sound , it wouldn't sell nearly as much.[/quote]That isn't what i meant, at all.

Apple themselves have said that the software sells the hardware. That's their reasoning for not selling standalone copies of MacOS, because then you could get the software without buying their hardware with it.

They'd lose money this way, unless they sold copies of MacOS for a grand a piece. I can't see apple surviving on Ipods and MacOS sales alone.

OSX would need to be revamped considerably to support even 5% of what Windows has to. OSX is "stable" primarily b/c it supports such a small hardware base - what Apple sells. In a way, Vista x64 is a step towards this as well, b/c it's hardware support is dramatically smaller than say XP SP3. In the x64 case, it's almost like the same thing b/c unless you have signed drivers for 3rd party devices, you will have to stick to the x64 compatability list.

Apple can't have it both ways (open software vs. closed hardware), so they're sticking to their guns. Closed hardware monopoly, and gouge on it heavily with 300-400% margins. It's working great so far, so why bother changing it?

[quote name='mav451']OSX would need to be revamped considerably to support even 5% of what Windows has to. OSX is "stable" primarily b/c it supports such a small hardware base - what Apple sells. In a way, Vista x64 is a step towards this as well, b/c it's hardware support is dramatically smaller than say XP SP3. In the x64 case, it's almost like the same thing b/c unless you have signed drivers for 3rd party devices, you will have to stick to the x64 compatability list.
[/quote]

what devices for example wouldn't have signed drivers? i'm guessing maybe tweaked drivers for video cards or something?

side note: i tried out Vista x64 on my computer and it's x86 compatibility mode is impressive. ran everything i threw at it just fine. i was apprehensive at sloggin thru finding 64bit versions of all my programs but i was pleasantly surprised that you don't have to do that

[quote name='JolietJake']That isn't what i meant, at all.

Apple themselves have said that the software sells the hardware. That's their reasoning for not selling standalone copies of MacOS, because then you could get the software without buying their hardware with it.

They'd lose money this way, unless they sold copies of MacOS for a grand a piece. I can't see apple surviving on Ipods and MacOS sales alone.[/quote]

I don't know why you're discounting that completely as "not selling standalone copies" when that's exactly what they're doing. I guess what you mean is that it's not optimized to run on any PC you throw the install disc in? That much is true and they certainly do make a mint on hardware. but people pay what they pay and apparently the price point is not a big issue, since it has been like this for years.

I have been a computer user in one form or another since the Commodore-64.
I've always used windows based PC systems since windows 95, but I switched my notebook over
to a MacBook Pro several months ago and am loving it. The usual problem you run into on a
Windows machine just isn't there.
The program crashes, peripherals compatibility issues, Device conflicts,
constant security updates, etc, etc.... I dont miss a bit.
I dont do much gaming on my system so missing windows exclusives is no bother at all, and Mac has just about every application that Windows does.
Im not one of those people who wishes death to all things Windows, im just saying that I tried apple and it worked for me.
Im looking at getting an iMac to replace my desktop PC around Christmas

I have a self-built PC desktop I use, but I switched my laptop from a Sony Vaio to a MacBook Pro and couldn't be happier. I love it. Well built, no problems, superb battery life, and OSX is great to use. Really, it's the best of both worlds.

I can never figure out why people care so much what computers random strangers use. The whole fanboy wars never made sense to me - who cares if someone wants to use a Mac, PC, PS3, XBox, or whatever the hell else there is to choose from. Get a life.

That said, the advantages to owning a Mac:

- OSX first and foremost
- excellent english-speaking customer support
- great bundled apps (imovie, etc.)
- ease of use
- aesthetic appeal
- good warranty, expandable to 3 years on the cheap (via ebay/amazon)
- bootcamp, for must-have windows needs (more and more infrequently for me)
- free ipod (for one more day)

Good luck with your choice.

[quote name='tehweezner']what devices for example wouldn't have signed drivers? i'm guessing maybe tweaked drivers for video cards or something?

side note: i tried out Vista x64 on my computer and it's x86 compatibility mode is impressive. ran everything i threw at it just fine. i was apprehensive at sloggin thru finding 64bit versions of all my programs but i was pleasantly surprised that you don't have to do that[/quote]

My WLAN adapter for one. Which means no Internet. Yeah good luck troubleshooting Vista off the bat, when the most CRITICAL component can't even install. OTOH, my device does have Vista x86 drivers and everything before - just no x64. I emailed them, and they simply don't have a x64 driver. I was like wtf Hawking (HWU54D - is my adapter).

If MS didn't enforce that, power users would have a much easier time. x64 is basically cutting edge, and yet they castrate it with the signed driver policy.

This topic is pretty interesting. I personally bought a laptop about 2 weeks ago. While at Best Buy, I stood and looked long and hard at a macbook and was trying to decide if I should go for it...then I looked at a Vaio and ended up going with that. It was nearly $300 cheaper than the mac and was better specs-wise in every way.

I do understand that Macs do more with less specs-wise, but still, I don't get why they cost so much more.

Well the expense is primarily in the high-end. It's either iMac vs. Mac Pro. There's no in between that can come even close to matching self-built boxes. Even today, Apple refuses to build a true headless iMac, b/c they know it would castrate sales if there's _for once_ a reasonably priced, high-value and low-priced Mac Pro alternative.

For those of you who want Mac OSX, download it and install it on your PC. I hear it runs pretty good. I've been trying for 2 years to get it installed, but it doesn't work on any of my computers. (fuck Apple and sticking to IDE hard drives. SATA IS BETTER IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED!)

[quote name='mav451']My WLAN adapter for one. Which means no Internet. Yeah good luck troubleshooting Vista off the bat, when the most CRITICAL component can't even install. OTOH, my device does have Vista x86 drivers and everything before - just no x64. I emailed them, and they simply don't have a x64 driver. I was like wtf Hawking (HWU54D - is my adapter).

If MS didn't enforce that, power users would have a much easier time. x64 is basically cutting edge, and yet they castrate it with the signed driver policy.[/quote]

that's mainly manufacturer failure to provide drivers though right? if hawking was on the ball this wouldn't be an issue.

and this thread is well on its way to 100 posts as expected :lol:

Why exactly do some people say that macs are better than PCs for artsy stuff: graphics, music, movie-making, etc? Is there anything in particular that really makes those things better/easier on a mac?

[quote name='b3b0p']The only reason to get an Apple computer is MacOS X. There is no other reason.

I have a Macbook Pro, for over 2 years now.

If you don't care whether you have Linux, MacOS X, or Windows I would get a business class Dell or Thinkpad notebook.[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. About the only real draw for getting a Mac is if you love OSX. If you don't care about the OS, you can get a lot more features for a lower price by sticking with a non-Mac laptop.

[quote name='tehweezner']that's mainly manufacturer failure to provide drivers though right? if hawking was on the ball this wouldn't be an issue.

and this thread is well on its way to 100 posts as expected :lol:[/quote]

Not entirely. MS wants fuckin cash for those signed drivers, so 1st parties shrug it off. Lesser known 3rd parties, however, get bent-over b/c of that policy.

There's a reason the 32-bit Vista drivers exist (those are UNSIGNED), and the 64-bit don't. And that reason is cash - thanks alot MS.

[quote name='Squee']Why exactly do some people say that macs are better than PCs for artsy stuff: graphics, music, movie-making, etc? Is there anything in particular that really makes those things better/easier on a mac?[/quote]

more, better, and easier to use programs, from what I hear from friends at the AIC. Past that, I dunno.

Ehh...that argument only applies if that software is NOT part of the Adobe suite. Consider my friend who primarily uses Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash. The OS has absolutely no bearing on how effective you are in a cross-platform program. She's worked on G5's and she's worked on PCs. Apart from Macs being "prettier", she is as productive on either platform.

The weakest link is always the user, not the platform.

[quote name='Squee']Why exactly do some people say that macs are better than PCs for artsy stuff: graphics, music, movie-making, etc? Is there anything in particular that really makes those things better/easier on a mac?[/quote]Yes. Core Audio and Core Video, which are the underlying pipelines for serving up audio and video. I do mograph and sound design as a profession and it makes a world of difference.

[quote name='Riyonuk']I've never thought Mac's were prettier. I've always thought they were far uglier XD[/quote]

i'm no mac fan but i gotta say they look pretty slick. macbook pros especially

can't think of any laptops that can match in aesthetics, maybe the new voodoo

also prebuilt desktops PC's are beige/black/gray and boring and then you have "custom" cases that are usually hideously neon and tacky :bomb:

If you get the Macbook air you can find a host of uses for it.

deadly_mba.jpg

J/K

I am a Mac (Macbook Air actually :)) owner, have been for several years, and one of the major advantages of using a Mac, is the way things just work without having to worry about them. Apple also has included several trick features to their OS including near instantaneous searching for anything on your Hard disk, Support for dual booting and virtualization, excellent ability to back up your HD through Time Machine. If you want to get into the aesthetic appeal and functionality of the hardware, you know you are getting a svelte, sexy machine, that although won't blow your doors off speedwise, is reliable, peppy and seamless. Liike I said before everything just works, both hardware and software.

I wouldn't count on it as a gaming rig, but as a stable machine that is a joy to use on a daily basis for your regular computing functions, I could not give it a higher recommendation.

P.S. It is also great for streaming media to you 360 and PS3.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can a mod delete all the unuseful posts out of here? I don't really give a shit if you hate apple for whatever reason, I'm looking for legit examples/reasons to own a mac.

Ok, Scorch, I will try my best to explain what the advantages are for owning a Mac.

A few things about me, though (so that you can see where I was/am coming from). I've owned a mac for a few years now, was a huge (and still am) a hardcore gamer (both pc and consoles. So gaming a big deal for me), used windows for all my life, know a great deal of windows (thus not familiar with Mac OS).

So, here's what I have seen by owning a mac:

-Security: a great deal of security from the start, with the occasional update. I know that windows does have good security (but only after you install a few programs. Mac does this out of the box).

-Programs: I'm talking about out of the box here, not what you can buy for it. iMovie, Photo Booth, etc. are great programs compared to Windows PC counterparts. Also, there is really no bad programs that would be installed (meaning useless, as Windows does install a good amount of useless crap when you buy the program, ie trials and stuff). Also, it seems like Adobe software is MADE for Macs, works wonders on my Mac. If you are into photography, design, graphics, art, etc. Macs have a ton of software that makes it great.

-Nice, clean UI: the taskbar is nice and small, can drag and drop (while I'm on that subject, Macs have the ability to drag and drop nearly anything, from putting files into folders to putting files from your desktop into a program. Yes, Windows does do this, but not for programs since they usually require you to "browse" for the file, on Macs, you don't browse, you can simply drag and drop into the box. Not a big deal, but a really nice feature). Small animations on the taskbar, little arrows that show you what's open. Also, a cool feature is the ability to set your corners of you Mac to shortcuts. On my macbook pro, I set the bottom left for "show all open windows" while I set the bottom right for "show desktop." You can set all four corners to whatever you like (well, pretty much). You can also set your Mac to have up to 16 (yes, 16!) desktops, meaning, you can have one desktop for your mail, then have the desktop to the right have your Safari browser, while the one to the left is for your AIM/iChat. You can set programs to open in spacific desktops (IIRC, they are called spaces). Really helps orgranize your programs, and keep your desktop nice and tidy.

-iChat: it's like AIM but a lot better, you can see (because of the icons), who you can call chat (via a microphone), video chat, or just text chat. It's really nice and a lot better than AIM, imo.

-Time Machine: Oh man, how I love this, it's so insane how much this little software can do. I know Windows can do this (with programs, or the built in program) but not as good as time machine. What this does is allows any external harddrive (must be external) to backup your files (either entire hard drive, or only certain folders/files) to the hard drive. You can set a specific time for time machine to back up the files/folders, or you can manually do it yourself. If, for whatever reason, you are missing something, you can restore your files/folders to it's previous state. You can restore certain files/folders or all the files/folders from a specific date.

Bootcamp: Pretty much amazing, yet so simple. A free (last time I checked) program that allows you to partition your hard drive into 2 seperate partitions and load windows on one side and your Mac OS on the other side. You can do this at anytime, because I believe it will still keep everything on your mac OS and just delete the amount of space that you have (say you have a 160GB hard drive, and you want 100 GB for Mac OS while 60GB for Windows, all bootcamp will do is make it so you now only have 100GB of free space, instead of 160GB of free space). So, now you can load anything you want, whether it be Windows Only programs or Mac OS only programs. It your choice. The only thing you technically need to buy for this is Windows.

Right now that all I can think of (mainly because I am working on a project due for class that requires Windows, so I am not on my Mac OS). Sure, it's expensive from the start, but it's worth every penny, in my eyes. My Macbook Pro (17" 1920x1200 glossy screen fyi) is outdated, but man, it runs as smooth as it did 2 years ago, and even has the battery life to prove (lasts atleast 4 hours with minimal settings, max settings tend to be about 2.5 hours). Let me tell you, it's definately a show off item (well, unless you go to a technical school, like I do, in which nearly everyone has a macbook or a macbook pro). Plus, the shelf life of macs (from what I hear) tend to last almost double what the windows counterparts lasts.

Granted, the hardware aspect will never be at the level of Windows machines, but it does have good enough hardware for basic needs (including gaming). Just don't expect to play crisis on max settings on any mac (it nearly crashed my macbook pro when it was released, and at the time I had the best macbook pro you could get).

On a side note, their tech support is TOP NOTCH. No joke, I love them so much, so kind and friendly. If you are in a real hurry then most apple stores can diagnose your problem on the spot.

I hope I gave you good advice, without being biased.

*If you need any help, comments, questions, etc, feel free to PM me or ask here, and I will try to answer them.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but they seem to have a high resale value, so if you want to get a new one down the road, seems like you could get a decent amount for it.

bread's done
Back