Adventure Games

crystalklear64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Fellow PC CAGs,
I've recently been on the search for some decent adventure games. I picked up Indigo Prophecy and thought that it was amazing. I didn't mind the simplitistic gameplay and much prefer a great story over gameplay, though obviously if it has both thats a plus.

That said, what would be some other good adventure games?

I bought Dreamfall: The Longest Journey today but haven't opened it yet for fear of its quality.

Well.. recent ones...

Shenmue, Shenmue II, Syberia, and Syberia II. Of course, the Shenmue games are not on PC but they get my highest recommendation and are in the same league as adventure classics such as Kings Quest.

The Syberia games are definitely good though.

Dreamfall is fantastic. Some complain that there's not enough "gameplay" but I didn't really notice this. Run around, talk to X, run around, talk to Y, run around, talk to X again, solve puzzle, watch cutscene, end chapter. But, uh, more fun. And detailed.

The story, unlike Indigo Prophecy (which I also loved) is completely consistent. I also really, really, really loved the ambience of all of the settings in the game, particularly a certain bit towards the end.

But beware: it most certainly is NOT The Longest Journey. The farthest from point & click an adventure can get.

[quote name='such great heights']Dreamfall is fantastic. Some complain that there's not enough "gameplay" but I didn't really notice this. Run around, talk to X, run around, talk to Y, run around, talk to X again, solve puzzle, watch cutscene, end chapter. But, uh, more fun. And detailed.

The story, unlike Indigo Prophecy (which I also loved) is completely consistent. I also really, really, really loved the ambience of all of the settings in the game, particularly a certain bit towards the end.

But beware: it most certainly is NOT The Longest Journey. The farthest from point & click an adventure can get.[/QUOTE]
Very good to hear.

And I'll start looking for those Syberia games right away.

[quote name='Drico']Well.. recent ones...

Shenmue, Shenmue II, Syberia, and Syberia II. Of course, the Shenmue games are not on PC but they get my highest recommendation and are in the same league as adventure classics such as Kings Quest.

The Syberia games are definitely good though.[/quote]

I wish the Shenmue games were on the PC, they would probably gain a whole new audiences, and it would give me another reason to buy and play them again. ::Keeps hoping for Shenmue 3::

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm absolutely amazed nobody here has recommended Monkey Island (Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!) or Grim Fandango (Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!) to this poor soul. Also recommended: The Dig, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and that Trogdor: The Burninator game of StrongBad's.[/QUOTE]
Well I've played almost all of the classic 2D adventure games including the 3D monkey island, I was looking for more modern suggestions.

Pretty much any old school LucasArts game are perfect.

So far I'm playing Still Life and its a pretty good one (i'm kinda stuck on one part though).

A couple of other ones - Deus Ex and KOTOR - kinda like adventure but more toward action/RPG type of thing

[quote name='4tygames']The new Sam & Max games are worth the $8! Downloaded the demo and had to buy the episode![/QUOTE]
you can also buy the whole set for $35, and you get to dl the new epsoide when they come out.

Wow search adventure and my username in advanced search... or search Adventure and Strell as a username. Its been discussed and a lot fo good ones are there.

I recently (in the last two years) played:
Al Emmo
The Kings quest remakes(free) by ADGinteractive
Runaway: A Road to Adventure (a sequal is coming soon)
Sanitarium (great adventure)
Scratches (first person haunted house type NOT like RE though true adventure) Tony Tough & The Night of the Raosted Moths (I love Halloween based games)

Try Justadventure.com as thats probably the largest adventure game website around. They are down right now but I am sure its some glitch or something.

maybe a little older, but look for Phantasmagoria for PC.
It is a scary adventure game and it came in a nice boxset back in the day.

Good luck finding it though

Have you played the original Longest Journey? It's one of the most amazing games out there. A little on the easy side, but the dialogue and characterizations are probably the best I've seen in a game, period. It makes the sequel look like shit.

Can't go wrong with the new Sam & Max episodes, either. Let's hope they herald in the new age of the adventure game.

Edit: Oh, and stay away from Phantasmagoria. The only reason it was worth playing in the day was because it used FMV before anyone else.

I think most of the best ones are older and thanks to ScummVM all the old Lucasarts games (and plenty of other adventure games) run perfectly on a new PC. Most of the games you have to have the original copies to run, but Beneath a Steel Sky (highly recommended) and Flight of the Amazon Queen are free at their site.

http://scummvm.org/

As far as (somewhat) recent games, I'd say the best are the Sam & Max Episodes (but I'm waiting until the whole season is available on CD), the Bone Episodes (by the same creators as the Sam & Max Episodes), The Longest Journey, Runaway, and Dreamfall.

[quote name='m1lesteg']Have you played the original Longest Journey? It's one of the most amazing games out there. A little on the easy side, but the dialogue and characterizations are probably the best I've seen in a game, period. It makes the sequel look like shit.

Can't go wrong with the new Sam & Max episodes, either. Let's hope they herald in the new age of the adventure game.

Edit: Oh, and stay away from Phantasmagoria. The only reason it was worth playing in the day was because it used FMV before anyone else.[/QUOTE]

See I thought Phantasmagoria was good as well as Gabriel Knight 2 (if not one of the best being GK2)

bread's done
Back