Adventure Gaming Thread

Yanksfan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
I didn't see anything in a search for an Adventure gaming thread here. Maybe that means there is not much interest in the genre here. I imagine that there are a few people here that play old school and new ones alike and wanted a place to toss out some good recommendations.

I have been out of the PC gaming picture for awhile and have slowly been integrating myself back in this past year. Besides playing the Monkey Island remakes, I have checked out Jolly Rover (fun), the King's Quest remakes (awesome), Back to the Future Season 1 (solid) and just finished Ben There, Dan That SE (good). Telltale definitely seems to be the top dog in the genre at the moment in terms of IPs and I will be checking out the rest of their catalogue shortly (actually own them all due to various sales). I am currently playing through a new Sam & Max season currently, which I feel is better in terms of puzzles and 'gameplay' than BTTF was. It will be interesting to see how I feel when I finally get to their interpretation of Monkey Island.

So what are other adventure gamers out there playing currently? What other gems are out there to find, or just as importantly, which ones should we shy away from?

From my list I would suggest:

Dragonsphere

Beneath a Steel Sky

-------
5 Days A Stranger
Trilby's Notes
6 Days A Sacrifice
7 Days A Skeptic
-------

The Marionette

What Linus Brockman Sees When He Closes His Eyes.

The White Chamber

These are solid adventure games.

Hardcore Gaming 101 put out a fantastic book recently that covers the genre pretty comprehensively. It's mostly 80's and 90's games with a few recent games tossed in but it has more than enough to keep a fan busy for a long, long time. I thought I knew adventure games well but there are sooo many I've missed that I discovered in the book.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/book.html

Also, check out the Adventure Game Studio site, there are some good homemade games up on the site as well. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

Wow! I need to buy that book. It looks incredible! Just what I've been looking for too.

[quote name='peteloaf']Hardcore Gaming 101 put out a fantastic book recently that covers the genre pretty comprehensively. It's mostly 80's and 90's games with a few recent games tossed in but it has more than enough to keep a fan busy for a long, long time. I thought I knew adventure games well but there are sooo many I've missed that I discovered in the book.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/book.html[/QUOTE]

I bought the book when it was first released. Most (all?) of the content is available on the website, but it's great having everything in book form. If you are an 80/90s adventure game fan this book is a must buy. It started out with Sierra and Lucasarts but then moves on to the more obscure game, many I've never heard of.

[quote name='Megazell']From my list I would suggest:

Dragonsphere

Beneath a Steel Sky

-------
5 Days A Stranger
Trilby's Notes
6 Days A Sacrifice
7 Days A Skeptic
-------

The Marionette

What Linus Brockman Sees When He Closes His Eyes.

The White Chamber

These are solid adventure games.[/QUOTE]

Downloaded the Marionette to give a shot later this week. It looks pretty sweet. I will get to them all eventually though. I have Beneath a Steel Sky on iOS already but haven't given it a shot yet.

bread's done
Back