Adventures in Preservation: My Child of Eden poster story

EncryptedPrints

CAG Veteran
Hey!

Just wanted to give out phat thanks and love to CAG for the tip on Child of Eden posters. I took my bike down to my local gamestop (about 2-3 miles) to pick up NIER for :ps3:, and on a whim I asked him if they had any child of eden posters. After about 10 minutes of rifling around in back he came back out with one in perfect condition. Totally

. . .now I just had to get it home. no backpack, no cardboard poster holder no one with a car to call up. Just a rubberband and the ability to ride a bike with no hands for an extended duration. I consider myself adept at the art of riding a bicycle using only one's hips, legs and inner-ear to maintain a state of not-crash. Or Bi-unicycling.

The first challenge was in preparation. a light california wind was pushing across the city. Combined with my bicycling speed, this would threaten to crinkle the poster before I had even crossed the first intersection. I find Bi-unicycling easiest when moving at a moderate speed with moderate resistance in the pedals. 14th gear on a 21 speed bike. If the gear is too low then one must pedal quicker to maintain speed, causing a destabilizing shift of weight from side to side. Conversely having the gear set too high forces one to really have to push down on the pedal in order to maintain speed, also leading to a loss of balance.)

I managed to strike said balance so that neither natural wind nor the wind I was rushing past affected the poster more than some very light dog-earing of the edge. I rotated the poster in my fingers so that the exterior edge was on the far side of the wind, keeping it from getting scooped.

About half way home a second realization dawned on me: I could feel a dampness upon my palms, if I didn't do something I'd soon end up with sweaty hand-prints upon my new treasure. Loosening my grip an then catching it with my fingertips. I drew upon my two decades of gaming experience to find a perfect pressure to hold the poster securely yet not damage it nor leave it at the mercy of the first gust of wind, yet even my fingertips had begun to betray me.

The last half mile of my journey lead me directly west, into the sun, into the wind, my fingertips ready to soak the poster in tiny spots. I began to spin the poster in my fingertips as I crossed the last few streets and came to my driveway I slowly climbed off my bicycle and hoisted it onto my shoulder, stepping across the dog gate I entered my home with a sense of great victory.

The end result?

DSC03919.JPG

DSC03848.JPG

Once again as a :newbie: I have to say, thank you CAG, and I can't wait for the next deal to jump on! Its good to finally be here. =)

EDIT: Ok, so a free poster isn't a major deal. But combined with having to get it home unwrecked makes it a memorable one. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, that looks great framed! Congrats on getting that poster and able to get it home w/o damaging it. Perhaps I should ask & see if mine has any left over.

Wow, that's great! And thanks for sharing this, I'm definitely gonna ask the one I'm going to later this evening for the B2G1 sale.

I preordered this and AC: Revelations specifically for the posters, and after placing the preorders was told they had no more posters for either game. :\

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I preordered this and AC: Revelations specifically for the posters, and after placing the preorders was told they had no more posters for either game. :\[/QUOTE]

D: Really?!

I went to a gamestop at a mall the other day and asked if they still had the posters for Child of Eden and if I could simply purchase one, rather than pick that up with the game. I was told they couldn't do that because it was a preorder bonus, but nobody preordered the game, so I could have one for free.

Try a different store!

bread's done
Back