Advertising Inside of Video Games. CAG thoughts?

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Advertising Inside of Video Games. CAG thoughts?

Like it or not... Advertising in Games is coming this year in a big way. Bigger than ever before. For those of you that aren't aware of the concept... take a look at the site for this company, Massive Incorporated, who is pretty much at the forefront for facilitating the delivery of ads into games from companies looking to reach the male 18-34 year old audience.

----> http://www.massiveincorporated.com/

The question is... what do CAGers think of this idea?

If this can lower the cost of next gen games... would you mind seeing real-world ads intergrated and updated into the environments?

The delivery of these ads within certain games like Splinter Cell could be pretty seemless.... but what if you were to start seeing these pop up into games where they just didnt belong? (Verizon scrolls on the castle walls of say... I dunno... World of Warcraft.)

What are your thoughts on all of this?

How many CAGers are ALREADY effected by Advertising in Games?

Lets see what CAGers think....

hmmm...I'm not that annoyed by the ads in the game so far. But I would certainly turn the game off if I see another one of those annoying Jamster ring tones and wallpaper ads in the game.

As long as it fits into the games theme/surroundings I don't mind. I really dont like it but it doesn't bother me that much when it fits. Though if it does start popping up in games such as WoW, I would be very pissed, perhaps even stop playing the game depending on what the add was.
It would be nice if game dev just kept using made up adds for when they need them. Some I have seen in games are just funny, adding more enjoyment to the game itself.

Advertising seemed inevitable with how big video games have gotten over the years.

I can tolerate it as long as it's tastefully done and relevant to the game. For example, the Butterfinger soda machine in Tony Hawk's Underground was just plain tacky. However, I wasn't bothered at all by the ads in NFSU 2. So I drove past a few Best Buys, Burger Kings and various billboards. So what?

I could tolerate ads in games set in certain time periods, as long as the ads looked similar to what they would look like in that time period. For example, if Pepsi put an ad in a game set in the 50's, the Pepsi ad would have to look like an actual Pepsi ad from that time.

I could even put up with ads in loading screens, but only as long the loading times aren't deliberately increased just so you have to stare at the ads longer.

But yeah, I agree that ads have no place in some games.

Also, I'd love to see video games with ads priced lower, but I doubt it'd ever happen.

If it fits in, fine. Hell, I used download advertisements on purpose to put in my arenas in the NHL 200x series (to match the real-life ice, boards, etc.).

In sports or racing games I wouldn't really care because it would be possible for them to fit in with the environment of those types of games. However, if ads show up anywhere else I would not like it. I'm sick of advertising invading my space already, to see it take over the gaming realm would really disgust me.

Having to sit through commericals in a fucking movie theater is about as far as they should be able to go. You can always just get to the theater when the film really starts, but if there were similar practices implemented in games.... :speaktothehand:

I don't play sports, racing, or EA games(cept for Strangers Wrath) so I'm not too worried. but if I see a Pepsi billboard in, say, Shadow of The Colossus or if Ryu Hayabusa is decked out in Hilfigers in the next Ninja Gaiden, then I'll be pissed.
Other than that, I think it's fine, it should just be kept to a minimum and appropriate. Companies doing outside promotions with games, like the Halo 2 slurpees, is cool too.

bread's done
Back