Advice for a FPS Newbie

Neji

CAGiversary!
Hi All (and Hello Cheapy Wombat and Shipwreck),

I am relatively new to CAG. I bought a playstation3 recently, and tried to get into FPS. I have never been a big fan of FPS on PC (the last time I tried was 7+ years ago), partly because I do not know how to control. I feel like I am always looking and aiming at the wrong direction. But now, I heard there are tons of good games and I would like start learning the rope. I was wondering if you have any advice on what games on the PS3 to get.

Thanks a million. (Cheapy Wombat and Shipwrek, please keep up the good work, and have shipwrek on the show more often!)

I've only played these on the 360, so others will have to attest to whether the PS3 versions hold up. but Call of Duty 4 has a great single player campaign and shouldn't be too hard to find cheaply since it has a sequel releasing next month. I also enjoyed the multiplayer for the game, but it might be a tough to jump right into if you're just getting into shooters, as most people playing it have a lot of experience by now.

Bioshock, besides being a great shooter, is easily one of the best games released this generation, and doesn't penalize you for dying.

As for PS3 exclusive shooters, I loved the first Uncharted (though that's a 3rd person game), and have heard generally good things about the Resistance games, but I haven't played those.

I would say Call of Duty 4 and World at War but I know everyone's gonna say that, so I'd say try Far Cry 2. It's not exactly the easiest game to get used to, but it has friggin awesome gameplay and it is as realistic as hell (with gun breakage, jamming, etc). Also, it is relatively easy and you shouldn't get stuck or die until much later in the game, but then you would have more experience.

I would say Call of Duty 4/5/6 is a great place to start, just try out the single player, then jump onto online and die, a lot. You'll soon find yourself getting better :) It worked for me, I died a million times before I got any good, now I'd say I'm not bad.

You should stay away from Killzone 2, I wouldn't recommend it for a "noob", I can play any FPS yet I still find it hard, haha.

So yeah, Call of Duty is a great taking off spot, after that you could rent some different titles and hopefully you'll start to get the hang of it. Good Luck!! You're about to open yourself to a vault of amazing games.

as far as consoles go try bioshock its sp only or you could get the half life 2 collection orange box i believe they call it. codwaw is fun enough but map packs cost 10 a pop , not worth it imo, but the zombie game it has in it is cool enough.

i'm not a huge fps fan andi find it hard to get into a lot of the generic fps games out there. that being said, call of duty 4 or waiting for modern warfare 2 is the way to go. bioshock is an amazing game and much more than a fps.

if you find yourself aiming the wrong way, how about inverting the controls? personally, i can't play a game without inverting the y-axis.

@Neji

I was in the same place you were in May when I got my PS3. I never played FPS' (except for like Doom on the SNES). I started out with Uncharted 1 (came with my PS3) and learned that way. I know Uncharted is a 3rd person shooter, but it was about the same. Next, I graduated to Killzone 2 and Half-Life 2 . I still suck pretty hard but I was able to beat it on normal difficulty.

Unfortunately, there's no magic spell to make you better. You just have to brute force it and get better. I haven't tried setting the difficulty to easy, but you may want to try that until you get the hang of it.

I sorta Jumped
I liked kiddie games and ended up getting wii
Then I decided to grow up and got ps3
My first FPS was Call of Duty WAW which I rented. Soon I got used to it and played Bioshock and so on.

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah I agree with FarCry2. Apparently Malik didnt read the thread title....[/QUOTE]

I read the thread title, and then I read the thread. Never once did he ask specifically for FPS titles even though he makes mention of being new at them. And quite honestly if you are new to the PS3 the ONLY game you should be playing right now is Uncharted 2; FPS or not.

I would suggest MW2. If it is similar to MW1 you should be able to have a good time with it. It's relatively easy to still kill people even if you suck. That said, I find online games kind of frustrating cause there is always a few people who have tons of free time to play and since I don't have that kind of time I always get destroyed.

[quote name='Malik112099']I read the thread title, and then I read the thread. Never once did he ask specifically for FPS titles even though he makes mention of being new at them. And quite honestly if you are new to the PS3 the ONLY game you should be playing right now is Uncharted 2; FPS or not.[/QUOTE]

Feels good to actually like a game instead of hating on them all the time huh?

Or I could be a reciprocate asshole and say "You got some Nathan Drake cock on your lip..no over there...yup there it is"

:rofl:

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I never thought that I would get so many responses. CAGs are great!
I will definitely check out many of those you guys recommend. (I just got Uncharted 2 today, just for starter.)

[quote name='smiggity']Feels good to actually like a game instead of hating on them all the time huh?

Or I could be a reciprocate asshole and say "You got some Nathan Drake cock on your lip..no over there...yup there it is"

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Uncharted is actually very good. Socom fucking sucks and you still love on it like it is the first girl to let you fuck her.

[quote name='Malik112099']Yeah, but Uncharted is actually very good. Socom fucking sucks and you still love on it like it is the first girl to let you fuck her.[/QUOTE]

Socom>Uncharted Online.....You are straight up lying to yourself if you believe otherwise

Im sorry if you are not down with the no respawn, gun skills game. Its not for the weak.

To start with, I would get 'Unreal Tournament III'. That'll let you learn the ropes first, but I'd advise you to stay away from the multiplayer since most of the people that are still playing it are veterans.

Then I would pick up 'Resistance' 1 then 2.

After playing R2's online for awhile, I would finally get 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'.

Battlefield: Bad Company is a fun game with a lot of personality that, similarly to Bioshock, does not penalize you for dying.

As another gamer who's not very good at FPS (before I got a 360 earlier this year, I hadn't played one since Doom), I'll also just say-- there's no shame in playing on Easy. :)

call of duty is a good entry point, as alot of the cod players online suck ass and the singleplayer is pretty fun, but Uncharted 2 is way better.

You have to play COD4. The story is great and I never really got bored. The online game is fun but only if you like deathmatches and such. Resistance 2 is also good. It has online co-op if you don't like competitive games.

I have the following FPS games n the PS3:

Bioshock (I found this really enjoyable.)

Fallout 3 (FPS/RPG. With the new GotY edition out I think this is a must own on any system.)

Resistance Fall of Man (Interesting story and decent gameplay. Unfortunately the demo throws you into a later portion of the game and didn't give me a good feel for how the game actually played)

The Darkness (Not the hardest of FPS and travelling back and forth on the subway can get highly annoying but the story was highly enjoyable. Overall I enjoyed this game but despite that it was a rather mediocre FPS if it wasn't for the story)

Condemned 2 (More of a First Person Fighter since guns don't really come into play, enjoyable for what it is but not great. The game tries to be creepy but the "theme" of the levels can go all over the place. I did laugh out loud during the mission where your objective was to "run for your life".)

FEAR (horrible looking port but it played well, I would recommend getting this on a different system if you are interested in it all)

With him struggling with FPS's in past, it might be useful to suggest what is a slow FPS. i.e., Unreal is a twitch shooter. I can't stand it, and I play a lot of FPS's. Unfortunately playing a lot doesn't make me good at FPS's. I would also avoid playing online for a while, as it will only help you learn to respawn, and get frustration headaches.

Having said that, I haven't played F3, but I think it is slower paced. I have also heard that Borderlands is slightly slower paced. CoD4 felt slower than KZ and resistance 1/2.

~S

Last edited by a moderator:
COD World at War Nazi Zombies. easy to hit targets and there are thousands of em. you can learn alot from this game in an hr even if ur a noob

bread's done
Back