Advice: Games like Enslaved/Portal/Vanquish

Whedon

CAGiversary!
I just got a current generation console this past summer (xbox 360) so I have been buying older titles off ebay/amazon; even though they aren't new games, they are still new to me and I have some catching up to do (and I'm a cheap ass gamer girl so this works out nicely).

Favorite older games so far are Portal 1, Vanquish and Enslaved.

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend another xbox 360 game of similar quality to these 3 that would be worth it to go back and get.

I am especially enamored with Enslaved: Oddysey to the West, to the point of watching the making of videos on youtube to see Andy Serkis (Gollum) and the other two lead actors doing the performance capture (motion capture + voice acting). I would be very interested in other games that were done in this manner using professional actors. The game itself was stunning, engaging and just great story/great fun.

Portal was brilliant! I even have the turret's "Are you still there?" as my text message alert. Will definitely be getting Portal 2 soon.

Vanquish was loud, crazy action packed insanity. Dialogue was crappy but game was a blast to play and looked great.

So there it is, does anyone have a suggestion for something similar to any of these 3, a bestseller I missed out on, or one that may not have been a bestseller, but probably should have been?

Warning: I'm not sure, but I think I'm probably terrible at FPS if my performance in COD: Black Ops demo is any indication.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, I'm also relatively new to CAG and wasn't sure where I could ask for recommendations on games rather than game deals.

So yeah I guess it would be smart if I said what games I already have. :roll:

Orange Box
Enslaved
Vanquish
Fable 2
Resident Evil 5 Gold Ed.
Bayonetta (next to be played)
Prince of Persia (playing)
Batman: AA GOTY (just ordered hasn't arrived yet)

Will finish Prince of Persia today (can't end soon enough - boring, ugly, clunky game) then start Bayonetta while I wait for Arkham Asylum to arrive. Then I'm out of games after AA.

Here are a few games I enjoyed that aren't too expensive these days

Shadows of the Damned
Alan Wake
Darksiders
L.A. Noire

All solid games and often overlooked. Well maybe not L.A. Noire but still, lol.

Which Prince of Persia are you playing? The cell shaded one or the movie tie in? If you have Xbox live there is a portal XBLA title worth checking out.

Responses to all (not smart enough to quote everyone)
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys/gals!

-Downloading Darksiders demo right now. Added Alan Wake, Shadows of the Damned and LA Noire to my Amazon cart so I can look into those more.
-I already have L4D2 through Steam.
-I was warned that Fable 3 was pretty disappointing so that's why i got Fable 2 instead. I'm very tempted to just skip Fable 3 altogether and just buy Skyrim.
-The Prince of Persia I have is just called Prince of Persia, not movie or xbl version, 2008 release.
-I have RE4 on PS2 but not HD version. Loved it though.

I also added Fallout 3 to my cart, I think that might be one I should get. I've had friends recommend Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 to me as older games that I missed out on and should play.

[quote name='Whedon']Responses to all (not smart enough to quote everyone)

-Downloading Darksiders demo right now. Added Alan Wake, Shadows of the Damned and LA Noire to my Amazon cart so I can look into those more.
-I was warned that Fable 3 was pretty disappointing so that's why i got Fable 2 instead. I'm very tempted to just skip Fable 3 altogether and just buy Skyrim.
-The Prince of Persia I have is just called Prince of Persia, not movie or xbl version, 2008 release.

I also added Fallout 3 to my cart, I think that might be one I should get. I've had friends recommend Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 to me as older games that I missed out on and should play.[/QUOTE]

Fallout 3 is a really good game, though if you are buying it, try to get the Game of the Year edition as it includes all of the DLC. It's worth the extra funds.

[quote name='Whedon']Responses to all (not smart enough to quote everyone)

I also added Fallout 3 to my cart, I think that might be one I should get. I've had friends recommend Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 to me as older games that I missed out on and should play.[/QUOTE]

Shadow of the Damned and Bayonetta are in the same vein as Vanquish. I'd also check out Bulletstorm if you like over-the-top, kill-the-horde style gunplay (but if you suck at FPS, maybe skip it- I sucked at FPS when i came into this generation, it just takes some getting used to).

I don't think anyone has said it yet- Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. It should be cheap by now, and it's a sold hack n Slash. Dante's Inferno is pretty fun too now that it's cheap.

Don't forget about Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect.

Regarding PoP- the celshaded one is crap. The 2nd one, Forgotten Sands was actually pretty good in my opinion- but REALLY short.

Enslaved was a solid game- There is an expansion to it on xbl that is ok- but you play as Pigsey and not Monkey, so it's gameplay is totally different. It's too bad you have a 360. The PS3 has Heavenly Sword as an exclusive, and I felt like Enslaved borrowed a lot from Uncharted's platforming.

Add Bioshock and Oblivion to your list. Dead Space and Mirrors Edge are probably my top 2 games on the system.

Lots of games to think about here, thanks so much everyone. :applause:

Thanks to a suggestion above I have my next game lined up after I'm done with Arkham Asylum - I just bought Assassin's Creed II for $6. (Used the free shipping coupon on Glyde from this CAG thread). First purchase on Glyde so hopefully excellent condition comes close to my expectations of what that means.

I now also have multiple games in my Amazon cart to watch/purchase/hunt down deals on including: Fallout 3 GOTY, Bioshock 2, Portal 2, Shadows of the Damned, Alan Wake, LA Noire, Dead Space. I will also be buying newer games Skyrim, Rayman Origins as I run out of older titles. I guess it pays to be 6 years late to the current generation console party!

Thanks for being so helpful, and I am subscribed to this thread in case anyone else has any further suggestions. The video review of ACII looked right up my alley, and if not, well it was only $6!

[quote name='kit352']Add Bioshock and Oblivion to your list.[/QUOTE]

Have Oblivion on Steam, but I did add Bioshock. Thanks

Might wanna check GoHastings. They are currently having a sale on some games for 20% off and then there's a promo code for an extra 30% off.. They charge tax and 2.28 shipping per item but still can score some nice deals.

Bioshock is one of my all-time favorites and a must play for everyone.

Bioshock 2 is also awesome even though it isn't quite as good as the first one. For some reason unknown to me people act like it sucks when in reality it is still better than 99% of the shit out there. I don't understand why people don't like it.

I dont get that either. I think 2 is about on par with the original. Both are great and both need to be be played in order.

I saw that you pointed out that your not sure how you would do with FPS games but I'd still recommend Prey, I know some people didn't like it but you can get it for fairly cheap now, and technically you can't really die in the game after the first few acts, so you should be able to get through it if you like it.

Other then that I can suggest these:
Enchanted Arms (If you like RPGs)
Lost Planet
Gears of War
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Armored Core 4

And a couple that are fps games if you do want to look into them:
The Darkness
Turok
Perfect Dark Zero

I could probably list a few more but I tried picking a couple from different genres that are all within reasonable prices.

I think everyone hated Bioshock 2 because of the multiplayer. As far as campaign goes, it was really good in my opinion. The multiplayer was not too bad except for the fact that it always lagged.. and everyone used the same stuff.

If you like Enslaved, try Maijin and the Forsaken Kingdom. It's another buddy action adventure game. If you like Vanquish, try the Gears of War series. It is slower than Vanquish, but still a cover based shooter. You also may want to try Dead to Rights: Retribution. It is over the top like Vanquish with bullet time and a cover system etc.

[quote name='ssjmichael']90% of the reccomendations in here aren't similar to the op's games at all[/QUOTE]
That's fair- but he started by saying he just got a 360. It makes sense to recommend some of the little gems that would probably get lost in the shuffle if you weren't paying close attention to this generation.

[quote name='nbballard']That's fair- but he started by saying he just got a 360. It makes sense to recommend some of the little gems that would probably get lost in the shuffle if you weren't paying close attention to this generation.[/QUOTE]

She* "cheap ass gamer girl

Haha :p

But yeah, most of the games are nothing like the ones she posted. Then again, she also said similiar "quality" if you wanna get technical about it. Nothing to see here folks!

I'm pretty sure you don't have a PS3 from your post but if you loved Enslaved, you have to play Heavenly Sword. Andy Serkis worked on that game as well, he is the main villain. Heavenly Sword like Enslaved is one of the few games these days that have heart. I really loved the characters in Heavenly Sword, and it has a cinematic focus to it just like Enslaved. It's not the best hack n slash game but it's pretty good, better than God of War in combat. The combat system is unique with its 3 stance system and the combat looks awesome as well. And, the actress that plays the main character in Fringe voices the main character.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']She* "cheap ass gamer girl

Then again, she also said similiar "quality" if you wanna get technical about it.[/QUOTE]

Well if we're getting technical about it, gamer girl isn't quite accurate either but gamer old lady missed out on having the double GG's for CAGG. And yes, although I desperately want another Enslaved, I am very grateful for all the other great recommendations that will help me get caught up on some quality games I missed while saving money in the meantime.

[quote name='Phoenixmgs']I'm pretty sure you don't have a PS3 from your post but if you loved Enslaved, you have to play Heavenly Sword. Andy Serkis worked on that game as well, he is the main villain. Heavenly Sword like Enslaved is one of the few games these days that have heart. I really loved the characters in Heavenly Sword, and it has a cinematic focus to it just like Enslaved. It's not the best hack n slash game but it's pretty good, better than God of War in combat. The combat system is unique with its 3 stance system and the combat looks awesome as well. And, the actress that plays the main character in Fringe voices the main character.[/QUOTE]

This sounds incredible. I looked it up on Amazon just in case it was released on xbox while you weren't looking, but alas, no Heavenly Sword for me. And to twist the sword a little more the next recommendations on the page after HS were Enslaved and Bayonetta. /sigh

Thanks again everyone, my Amazon cart runneth over, I've got Bayonetta and Bastion on deck and Batman: AA GOTY and Assassin's Creed II on the way. :whee:

p.s. I learned to multi-quote! /flex

Allow me to recommend a few gems on the xbox 360. Yes, they may be different then what you like but they are probably worth playing.

Alan Wake
(Probably the closest you will come to another phenomenal story on the xbox)

Mass Effect Series
(The Sci-Fi genre done right, with an awesome story and great combat)

Crackdown Series
(A lot of people dis-liked the first one. I highly disagree, no it's not the level of story that AW, ME, or Enslaved give you, but it's a lot of fun.

Batman AA and AC
(You wont find a better superhero game. Awesome story, awesome combat. I personally like the first a lot better)

Gears of War and Halo
(Yes, I know they are the stereotypical xbox game, but they are that for a reason. They are good games. Also, do yourself a favor and skip Reach)

Just Cause 2 (Pure fun)

Skyrim (Nuff said)

Fallout 3 and New Vegas
(Don't be scared off by the glitchy launches. They are fix up and awesome games.)

I will probably think of more, but these games will keep you busy for a life time.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Allow me to recommend a few gems on the xbox 360. Yes, they may be different then what you like but they are probably worth playing.

Alan Wake
(Probably the closest you will come to another phenomenal story on the xbox)

Mass Effect Series
(The Sci-Fi genre done right, with an awesome story and great combat)

Crackdown Series
(A lot of people dis-liked the first one. I highly disagree, no it's not the level of story that AW, ME, or Enslaved give you, but it's a lot of fun.

Batman AA and AC
(You wont find a better superhero game. Awesome story, awesome combat. I personally like the first a lot better)

Gears of War and Halo
(Yes, I know they are the stereotypical xbox game, but they are that for a reason. They are good games. Also, do yourself a favor and skip Reach)

Just Cause 2 (Pure fun)

Skyrim (Nuff said)

Fallout 3 and New Vegas
(Don't be scared off by the glitchy launches. They are fix up and awesome games.)

I will probably think of more, but these games will keep you busy for a life time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3 already suggested/discussed. Already bought Batman AA and am so obsessed with Skyrim not only do I check CAG for a deal on it every day but I have sat and watched other people play it on live stream. (Now surely THAT is a cheap ass gamer).

Most people didn't mention GoW/Halo likely b/c I said in OP that I'm awful at FPS. But I decided to grab a Halo game using the gohastings discount to play co-op campaign with a friend who is Halo obsessed. And which one did I get? The only one you told me not to get of course! I placed the order before I read your post, oh well, he said he really lies it so I'm sure we'll have fun together. I'm going to be a complete failure at it anyway; I plan on crying and flailing in the corner while my buddy mows down all the bad guys for me.

I will look into Just Cause and Crackdown, no one had mentioned either of those 2 previously.

UPDATE: Since my first post I started Bayonetta, bought Bastion on DOTW, used the free shipping at glyde to grab Assassin's Creed II for $6, and used the gohastings deals to get Halo Reach for $11, Bioshock 2 for $6 (hope it doesn't scare the crap out of me) and Fallout: New Vegas for $6 (hoping I can slog through the game bugs adequately if they still remain).

This thread is now old and decrepit but if anyone checks back, again I say thanks to all. Lots to play and many more in my Amazon cart.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']If you like Enslaved, try Maijin and the Forsaken Kingdom. It's another buddy action adventure game.[/QUOTE]

For someone who considers the 2008 Prince of Persia game slow and clunky (I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum - I loved every bit of it), I would not recommend Majin. Personally I loved it, but the game is all about character charm and interaction and doesn't have a bit of flash to it.

heres some games i liked that i don't think have been mentioned 20 times

-Deadly premonition- pretty cheap game, graphics wise its like a ps2 game, and controls are a little difficult at first but if you can get through the 1st 3 hours it really is a good game with some awkward (twin peaks) humor.

- Condemned 1 - its a launch title but its good game and scary as hell

- Red Dead Redemption GOTY - is like gta IV in the west great sandbox game/ great story and you get all the dlc's

-dead rising- probably one of the better zombie games out there. Dead Rising 2 is also pretty decent

- splinter cell conviction- if you like action/stealth games and if you can find someone to do co-op story with its a blast

-Hitman blood money- good stealth game

- Lego Indy or Lego Star Wars TCS- if you like these kind of lego games they are pretty good

- Saints Row 2- fun sandbox game and even better if you have a friend to play the whole game co-op

-Marvel Ultiminate Alliance- if you like the marvel characters this is a pretty good cheap game

bread's done
Back