Advice Needed For Copying DVD's

jmercado316

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (98%)
Can anyone suggest a DVD Copy program that allows protected DVD's to be copied besides DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter? Plus, anyone know of a working program that coverts MPEG, RM, AVI to DVD. Thanks in advance.

Slysoft's AnyDVD. It also allows you to remove the FBI warning and other misc. stuff when you copy. I use it all the time to backup my kid's DVD's to avoid the "fingerprint" problem all parents are familiar with.

Anti-Piracy_Seal_1a.jpg

LOL!

Just google it. I had problems with Silent Hill and solved it in about ten minutes with some posts on afterdawn's forums.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Just google it. I had problems with Silent Hill and solved it in about ten minutes with some posts on afterdawn's forums.[/QUOTE]

The problems with that movie go far, far beyond anything that can be suggested on an Internet forum.

[quote name='jalu6']The problems with that movie go far, far beyond anything that can be suggested on an Internet forum.[/quote]Nice zing!

Sorry but I've only used DVD Shrink because I only have single layer DVD-Rs. For re-encoding files into MPEG-2 files, the format used for DVDs, the full version of TMPEGENC works great (download the trial version at: http://www.tmpgenc.net/ and see how you like it).

[quote name='jmercado316']It's not illegal to make copies of DVD's that you own, thanks for the help everyone. No harm, no foul.[/QUOTE]

No its not but its illegal to crack the copy protection on those discs you own. Thats why it making copies of dvd's is in a grey area.

[quote name='Graystone']No its not but its illegal to crack the copy protection on those discs you own. Thats why it making copies of dvd's is in a grey area.[/QUOTE]
There is no grey area. Under the DMCA, if you circumvent the copy protection system on a DVD, you are a criminal in the US.

[quote name='DMCA']No person shall circumvent a technological protection measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.[/quote]

Virutally all commercial DVDs are protected with CSS or some other form of encryption. If a DVD is unprotected, then you may make a backup archival copy, but if it is encrypted you are basically screwed under the law.

That, among other things, is what sucks so much about the DMCA.

[quote name='doubledown']This will get locked...no ILLEGAL talk. Wrong place to ask.[/quote]
here is the typical ass*ole who thinks he's always right about EVERYTHING, to only part yor right about is the this is in the wrong section but no before you open your mouth and say shit like this isn't illegal check your facts idiot. You are allowed to have one copy made for backup this allpies even to PC games.

BTW just want to point out that DVD Shrink is the best program to use, also another one DVD decrypter or DVD fab.

[quote name='Sejad']You are allowed to have one copy made for backup this allpies even to PC games.[/quote]Where in the law does it say you are allowed to do such?

[quote name='Z-Saber']Where in the law does it say you are allowed to do such?[/quote]
last time I checked it was there in the pc game book, btw I am in canada the law might be different.

[quote name='Sejad']last time I checked it was there in the pc game book, btw I am in canada the law might be different.[/quote]That's probably a significant difference.

[quote name='Z-Saber']That's probably a significant difference.[/quote]is being canadian great enough of a difference to account for being ignorant and completely wrong, yet maintaining that one knows enough to correct people in this thread? that is the question

Even if it is illegal to even crack the protection on a DVD or CD, that wouldn't make it illegal to do so. Using the programs that do this would be illegal, but owning them is technically not. So I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about where to get the programs.

i know most cases of people wanting to copy dvds is for illegal purposes, but in some situations it is not illegal (legal backups of owned copies, etc) so, for people to, right from the start, call someone a pirate or a criminal is wrong....i want to know how many people that called the OP a pirate before knowing if he wanted to make legal copies or not have never broken the speed limit in their car, bc, if they have broken the speed limit, then they have also committed a crime and should not "cast the first stone..."

[quote name='NegativeZero']My advice, is don't do it, only bad people do those things! Don't be a bad person![/QUOTE]

hahahaha *sigh* Thanks for the laugh.

okay people still dont believe that it's legal.....okay why then do you have to pay for some of the software that does it and they have also legal disclaimers and other stuff, so why would they put themselfs in any danger of getting sued? okay maybe I used the wrong word I meant "backup up copy" is that still illegal? i'm sure your allowed a copy if your original gets broke or too scrathced.

[quote name='Sejad']okay people still dont believe that it's legal.....okay why then do you have to pay for some of the software that does it and they have also legal disclaimers and other stuff, so why would they put themselfs in any danger of getting sued? okay maybe I used the wrong word I meant "backup up copy" is that still illegal? i'm sure your allowed a copy if your original gets broke or too scrathced.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, there IS a reason why DVDShrink and DVD Decryptor have stopped production...

[quote name='djkunai']You are a pirate.[/QUOTE]

Aw man, now I've got this catchy ditty stuck in my head.

"I am a pirate!" :D

[quote name='valleyvampiress']hahahaha *sigh* Thanks for the laugh.[/QUOTE]

Laugh? I'm serious, I mean come on, do you realize howmuch money you'll save and also how much space you'll save, I mean it's just not right........oh wait. Hmmmmmm.........

Someone please lock this thread already. If you want to continue the discussion over what program is best, etc., check out forums.afterdawn.com. If you want to continue the argument over whether or not the use of such programs is legal/illegal, useful, etc.- use the Vs. forum.

[quote name='Graystone']No its not but its illegal to crack the copy protection on those discs you own. Thats why it making copies of dvd's is in a grey area.[/QUOTE]

You need to do that when you make any changes to the DVDs, like reencoding dual layer discs to fit into a single layer. But if you just make a straight 1-to-1 copy, is decrypting still needed?

[quote name='Sejad']why then do you have to pay for some of the software that does it and they have also legal disclaimers and other stuff, so why would they put themselfs in any danger of getting sued?[/QUOTE]

You have to pay for assassinations too, it doesn't make them legal.

And in the U.S. you are always in danger of getting sued by anyone for anything. The question is ultimately whether the case has merit.

[quote name='Warner1281']SIf you want to continue the discussion over what program is best, etc., check out forums.afterdawn.com.[/QUOTE]

And if you want to talk about video games, use gamefaqs.com .

[quote name='Sejad']last time I checked it was there in the pc game book, btw I am in canada the law might be different.[/QUOTE]

The law is different in canada - but the movie industry is pushing to get DMCA clones passed in many countries. The nice thing about Canada is that some politicians act in the public's interest.

check out http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/05/10/14/1521256.shtml

And of course, Michael Geist's site, including "30 things you can do". It's too late to save this country, but you can try and save yours.

So many many naive people. Some things will always be around.......... And if the programs were illegal they wouldnt be around, they do have legal purpose. And for the sake of making an arguing:bomb: I am going to make the controversial point that piracy does nothing bad to anyone else, dvds and cds have consistently stayed the same price and it has little to no effect to the general consumer so to each his own. However people want to pussy foot around the question of making copies of whatever this probably isnt the best place to discuss it, many people have made good solutions to your problems.

[quote name='NegativeZero']Laugh? I'm serious, I mean come on, do you realize howmuch money you'll save and also how much space you'll save, I mean it's just not right........oh wait. Hmmmmmm.........[/QUOTE]

What the? I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make, but yes, it did make me laugh. Please tell me you've never broken one single law in your entire life (that includes going over the speed limit by even one mph as someone mentioned or jay walking etc.), and then you can tell other's they're "bad".

And while we're on this "good" person, "bad" person topic, how are your morals? Ever broke any of those? Ever told a fib? The questions can go on. You can choose to do whatever you want, but don't make the mistake in thinking you can go around judging other people and labeling them as "bad" or "good". The fact of the matter is, they are "bad" in your eyes. However, your eyes aren't the end-all-be-all of of "bad" and "good".

bread's done
Back