Advice needed on a Vectrex

JoeCamNet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
Hey, local store around me has a Vectrex for sale. He says it comes with like 3 games, the controller is in great shape and it works without any problems.
It's for sale for $80.

Is it worth going after this thing at that price? I know it's an older system, should I be worried it's gonna shit out on me super quick?

Any info is MUCH appreciated. I'd love to snag this soon if it's worth it before it's gone.

If it is in nice condition, that is a great buy IMO. The cheapest your gonna find one on eBay is $100 + shipping, no games.

[quote name='JoeCamNet']Hey, local store around me has a Vectrex for sale. He says it comes with like 3 games, the controller is in great shape and it works without any problems.
It's for sale for $80.

Is it worth going after this thing at that price? I know it's an older system, should I be worried it's gonna shit out on me super quick?

Any info is MUCH appreciated. I'd love to snag this soon if it's worth it before it's gone.[/QUOTE]

As long as you get to test it before you buy and can confirm it works. Sounds like a good price (and there's one Asteroids type game built in, so you are getting 4 games overall).

If I were in your shoes, this thread wouldn't exist, becuase Id've bought it already. I'd love to have a Vectrex- they used to bring one to my local anime con every year, but a new group does the retro room now so it's long gone. I miss that thing...

I don't think Vectrex systems are prone to failure... I could be wrong, though. My friend's dad had a Vectrex collection that would make most retro collectors shit their pants instantly. He had the console complete in box along with 25+ games, also complete in box. I don't think he had any idea how much all his stuff was worth, as he kept it in a closet in their attic. I remember playing it pretty much every time I went to visit my friend. I don't recall the unit having any problems or errors, so I wouldn't be worried about the system breaking. From what I know, $80 is a pretty fantastic price.

Are they seriously worth that much? My cousin has one in the basement. They have a ton of games for it because when the system was dying, there were some series fire sales on the games.

Vectrex is a great console if you like old vector arcade games. Definitely test first if possible, but the Vectrex is pretty reliable. The humming noise is normal. There are hardware mods to reduce the hum if you wanted to.

Systems are usually worth $100+ in decent condition. Loose games are usually $10-$15 and CIB games are $20-$40. There are only a few rare/expensive games, like Pole Position or Polar Rescue. The 3D glasses add-on and 3D games are $$$ and the light pen and light pen games are a little pricy too but they're both just collector's novelties and not much fun.

All of the original releases were issued as public domain long ago, so the only reason to buy original carts is for collecting and to get the tinted screen overlays. Otherwise there are several multicarts available that give you all of the original release games selectable from a menu.

Vectrex also has a lot of homebrew releases. Since all the hardware/developer docs were made public domain, Vectrex was one of the first retro consoles to attract homebrew development. Modern technology allows larger cart sizes so a lot of the homebrews are better than the original retail release games. Most homebrews are on-going availablility and are available cheap. A few had limited runs and are $$$. Check out vectrexcarts.com for some cheap homebrews. Gravitrex Plus, Protector/YASI, and Thrust are excellent. Some of the homebrews are available on multicarts too. (not those 3)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']If I were in your shoes, this thread wouldn't exist, becuase Id've bought it already. I'd love to have a Vectrex- they used to bring one to my local anime con every year, but a new group does the retro room now so it's long gone. I miss that thing...[/QUOTE]
When did this happen imo!

Not yet. It's a problem of money. Getting paid, hoping to have enough after bills.
If not, time to trade in a ton of shit there so I can grab it. Hopefully it's still there!

[quote name='JoeCamNet']Aaand the system is gone.
DAMMIT.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. That was a sick deal, if it was in anything other than shambles.

Vectrex kicks so much ass.

So. I woke up this morning to a Vectrex sitting on my table.
My wife decided to sneak out and buy the thing on me as a little present!
Sadly, the guy told us wrong initially and it didn't come with any extra games, but it's still got the one built in and I think they have a few extras at the store I can check out sometime.
A little dusty, but in great shape, works without any problems, and it looks awesome sitting with all my other stuff.

Pic here: http://twitpic.com/1s5lfq

[quote name='JoeCamNet']So. I woke up this morning to a Vectrex sitting on my table.
My wife decided to sneak out and buy the thing on me as a little present!
Sadly, the guy told us wrong initially and it didn't come with any extra games, but it's still got the one built in and I think they have a few extras at the store I can check out sometime.
A little dusty, but in great shape, works without any problems, and it looks awesome sitting with all my other stuff.

Pic here: http://twitpic.com/1s5lfq[/QUOTE]
:rofl: Best wife ever!

bread's done
Back