Advice on a job application follow-up?

DarkSageRK

Banned
Well, I've been trying to get a job for a while now. (As a student worker at the University I'm enrolled in.) Anyway, I just called up the HR division because my application has been under review for one position for about two weeks now. He gave me the contact information (e-mail, but I have her name so I could probably find her phone number...) of the person in charge of the position. Apparently, there are also a few other people who have applied for the position and no interviews have been arranged yet. I think contacting the person in charge of this position would be a good way to put me ahead of the rest, but I'm not sure exactly what I should say.

I figure some of you might know what to say that would indicate my interest in the position without sounding desperate or whiny.

If you could help me, I would appreciate it a lot.

I'm kind of in a similar position now where I'm waiting to hear back at one company I applied for (I just finished college btw).

I'm about to apply to more places, but I'm not completely sure how long I gotta wait.

Go figure I'm in the same position.

All of my friends (who have started their "career path") say don't shy away at all from calling the employer regarding your application. Don't feel like you're annoying them or anything.

The logic is that by calling consistently (I'd say weekly is a good rule of thumb), you automatically start to distinguish yourself because you start to show that you are REALLY interested in working for the company. It also shows that you're a go-getter and that you pursue what you want. If you're equally qualified with the other candidates, and you show all of the above, you'll get the job.

If you are looking for a specific thing to say, you could just call and ask for the status of your application. You could also call to ask and see if there is anything else they need from you such as another reference (have one ready though). It is very true that HR people and others in the workforce like to hear from excited and driven job seekers. The worst they can say is you are no longer being considered for this position, and then you can ask what you could improve on for the future.

Do they know you posted this?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']To put it simply, I find you devoid of anything that could rightly be compared to intelligence, and I reflect this view through my sarcasm. I do admit this may be a bit cruel, as it's akin to hitting a mentally challenged boy with a stick so as to inspire him to learn math problems faster. In this instance, no matter how well I argue you'll never realize just what an incontrovertible moron you are. But, just like hitting the boy with a stick, sarcastically rebutting your posts sure as hell is fun.
[/QUOTE]

Because if they do, they're not going to hire your crazy ass.

Just call the person, tell them who you are and you're calling because you put in an application for such and such position 2 weeks ago and would be interested in setting up a time to meet with them to discuss you're application.
Do not just ask about the status, go the extra step and ask about a time to meet. Don't pester them for a time just make the initial offer if they haven't already. It usually works to get an interview in the next few days. And it usually gets an interview for the people they weren't going to even consider.

Gamer's Girlfriend;4761862]Just call the person said:
Woah, thanks. I'll try that next time. I ended up calling them and asking about the status of my application (thanks for the advice, guys) and the HR department it seems gave me the wrong number, so I got bounced around a lot until finally one guy just said he'd send out a mass e-mail to everyone in charge of hiring for me. So I ended up getting this wonderfully generic e-mail after a while. >_O

My name is Sally Dins. I am hiring for the 4:00-8:00 pm position with Minitex that you applied for. Your application has been received and is being considered with the others who have applied. If you are selected for an interview, you will hear from me within the week. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your interest in the Library Assistant position.
Have a nice day.

Oh, well. If it doesn't work out I guess I'll just get to go food service. Since every other student job is from 8:00-4:30. Yeah. That makes sense. Open up student positions for the times when students are most likely to be in their classes. BLEGH.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Go figure I'm in the same position.

All of my friends (who have started their "career path") say don't shy away at all from calling the employer regarding your application. Don't feel like you're annoying them or anything.

The logic is that by calling consistently (I'd say weekly is a good rule of thumb), you automatically start to distinguish yourself because you start to show that you are REALLY interested in working for the company. It also shows that you're a go-getter and that you pursue what you want. If you're equally qualified with the other candidates, and you show all of the above, you'll get the job.[/quote]

I agree with this.

I've always had good rapport with my employers, and a lot of that comes from just being honest at all times. On that note, I would contact the person whose info you were given, and express to them your desire and interest in the position in question. It certainly won't hurt, and it just might help.

Student positions at most schools I know of are basically first come first serve, so they'll go in order of when applications were received, interview in that order and the first that they like (normally the first they talk to) gets it.

Basically put your name out for every position that fits your schedule because if you wait for the first one you may end up missing everything.

Note: This is in reference to work study positions at school not the real world, where you should put the effort in to follow up.

[quote name='bob2008']The only other English language only sets were released before Magic gained enough popularity to support foreign markets.
Placing all the Unhinged cards in reverse alphabetical order will cause the following message to appear.
===========================================================
Bob
Job Opportunities[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='bob2008']The only other English language only sets were released before Magic gained enough popularity to support foreign markets.
Placing all the Unhinged cards in reverse alphabetical order will cause the following message to appear.
Bob
Job Opportunities[/quote]

my mind is blown

I completed college about five months ago and I can't get a job to save my life. I had good work experience throughout school but took the last year off to dedicate myself to school full time. I have been getting interviews with great companies. I've had interviewers tell me that I'm great for a position or that I look like it would be a good fit. However I always follow up and the position always winds up going to someone else.

Sigh.

Bob
Job Opportunities[/QUOTE]
wj9Eqnxmge9qjqqbT7j9Ta1Go1_400.jpg

All I have to say is this. I am glad I am self employed. I never need to ever call anyone for any reason. People call me for work.

I sit around the house until I get a call from someone then I go work and charge them 20 an hour. (Although since I work hard...I rarely get to sit around I get calls everyday)

Sorry. Did not mean to toss salt in your wounds....I just remember a time like everyone else where I hunted for 3 or 4 months looking for work. I am just really happy I never have to do that again.

The problem with HR people is that 90% of the time they have NO background education/degree in that field. They are usually office clerks who usually snake thru the system if they hang around the company for a few years. HR people have poor communication skills and it seems Emails and the words "Good Luck" seem to be the kiss of death in the rejection process.

My sister in law "insists" that I send a friendly email or post card thanking the place I got rejected from. Some people say that's a good idea, while others say it's just a waste of your time, gas and money for a job that pretty much threw your application in the trash after they rejected you.

In my current job, I actually applied for it back in May I think, was told nothing was opened and was told that my application was going to be kept on file. Then mid august I get a call from the new HR person and find out they kept my application and wanted to bring me in for an interview. Interview went well but never got a call back, so I called them two days later, left a message. Called them back the following monday, left a message. Finally the next day I get a call back and a job offer to start the next day. Since the government jobs were either taking too long to get back to me or rejecting me (because not enough experience or education :roll:) I took what I could get.

Bottom line is call and leave a friendly voice message but be prepared for either the rejection email, post card or NO CALL BACKS or responses at all, which seems to be the way the county school system I used to work at works.

Oddly enough, at our office, we get so many applications it negatively effects you to constantly try to get in touch with our hiring people. During our prime hiring period, we get about 200 applications a week (we have a workforce of 550), and ended up with about 1500 applications. We'd get about 100 calls a day with people asking about their application status, and then people who hadn't heard after 2 or 3 days resubmitting (meaning we got probably 2500 apps for 1500 people). Eventually we had to just tell people who were applying not to call us, because it was disrupting our ability to conduct our business.

[quote name='lordwow']Oddly enough, at our office, we get so many applications it negatively effects you to constantly try to get in touch with our hiring people. During our prime hiring period, we get about 200 applications a week (we have a workforce of 550), and ended up with about 1500 applications. We'd get about 100 calls a day with people asking about their application status, and then people who hadn't heard after 2 or 3 days resubmitting (meaning we got probably 2500 apps for 1500 people). Eventually we had to just tell people who were applying not to call us, because it was disrupting our ability to conduct our business.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

We also find them more same at: Job application

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX']

In my current job, I actually applied for it back in May I think, was told nothing was opened and was told that my application was going to be kept on file. Then mid august I get a call from the new HR person and find out they kept my application and wanted to bring me in for an interview. [/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to my wife.

The funny thing is, I always thought that the "keep your resume on file" line was just a semi-polite brush off. She started work at the new place today.

[quote name='Mayson']The same thing happened to my wife.

The funny thing is, I always thought that the "keep your resume on file" line was just a semi-polite brush off. She started work at the new place today.[/QUOTE]
Keeping resumes on file is quite common. Most places will keep a small number on hand just in case someone leaves unexpectedly or only a few people respond to a jobs posting.

[quote name='hdblue']Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.[/QUOTE]

He probably did keep posting considering you revived an almost 3 year old thread.

bread's done
Back