Advice on a new PC rig

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Relinking the OCZ 700W PSU so others know which you picked out (since your link is broken).

I think you picked out all the great parts. May I ask why do you think you need Vista 64bit other than to use the full 4GB of RAM?[/quote]

While it's not as great as sliced bread, there is the DirectX 10 support.

I would recommend Vista 64 bit over 32 bit anyday. For the most part, you should be able to run most if not all of the 32 bit programs you want. 64 bit is just much more stable and better overall, at least that's been my experience.

Couple of options for your motherboard.

It uses the p45 chipset which has produced a very solid range of motherboards. However, they do not support full x16 Crossfire. So, if you were thinking of choosing that board because of its ability to do crossfire, keep in mind that it won't be "full" crossfire.

If you don't need Crossfire and can do without the Firewire port, this would probably be a better mobo choice and save you some money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345

If you do want full Crossfire, look to the x48 chipset motherboards.

This is one of the cheapest x48 chipset board that works very well assuming you use 800mhz ram with it (which you already have chosen).

This will also bump your price up, and really, with the 4870, you probably won't be needing x16 crossfire anytime soon.

[quote name='Dyson']Last time I built my own dekstop was about 5-6 years ago, I bought a prebuilt one some time in between then and know and was disappointed greatly. I've decided it might be time to build a new one. This is what I've come up with so far, what do you guys think?

Q6660
cpu cooler
overclocked to 3.00ghz

Mobo
4gb ram
radeon hd 4870
640gb hdd
700w psu
case
vista 64bit[/QUOTE]

pretty nice rig, i just built mine a month ago & there's nothing better then building your own rig, Good luck!

bread's done
Back