Advice on Ebay Auction - Don't Feel Comfortable Sending Item

TheShepherdSauce

CAGiversary!
- I noticed the buyer marked the item as payment sent even though ebay shows that he never went through checkout and there's no payment showing in paypal (no pending, e-check, or otherwise)

- I contact buyer and ask him about marking the payment as sent. Buyer responds that he tried twice and will be waiting for the item.

- I check the buyer's bid history and notice that he's been bidding on and winning multiple auctions of the same games (including mine).

- I respond to the buyer stating that ebay shows he had not gone through checkout and that I saw no payment in paypal. I also linked him to his bid history and asked (politely as I could) why he's been bidding on multiple auctions of the same games. I also pointed out that he had won 4 auctions of the same game (in my auction) in the past month.

- Buyer responds that I was correct and he had made a mistake. He plans on paying me tomorrow. He also removed the payment sent status on the auction.

So, at this point I'm pretty sure he was trying to scam me and got scared when I presented him with evidence of his bid history. He never explained why he was bidding and winning multiple auctions of the same game either.

Any advice on what my next step should be? Obviously I don't think I should send the item, but I'm not too sure on the best way of "canceling" this transaction.

Yikes, this sounds like a pain! While I've never sold on there, maybe you can preemptively contact eBay regarding your suspicions just in case he tries to go to them saying you never sent it. That way they already know what's up and you don't get penalized for it. Hopefully others will have some better advice for you. Good luck either way!

The guy might just not know what the hell he's doing. The last time I sold a bunch of codes, I had one person who went a month waiting for the code because she didn't realize I had already sent it immediately after receiving payment (I even sent a follow-up when I noticed that the code hadn't been used yet). And one guy paid me and never responded when I asked if he wanted an Xbox or PS3 version of the code...that was months ago.

Anyway, if you're not comfortable with continuing the transaction, you have every right to cancel. Because he still hasn't even sent you a payment, it should be relatively quick and easy.

No payment = No item. Plain and simple.

You checked his bidding history - bidding on multiple auctions is one thing - winning multiple auctions and not paying/scamming is another.

Did you check his feedback? Any problems/complaints?

If the bidder pays and you do send - Make sure you have proof of delivery.

Interestingly enough, the buyer's been getting positive feedback - even on items he's won multiple auctions of. Call me paranoid, but I still don't feel comfortable sending the item. So I sent a cancel transaction request to the buyer. Knowing my luck, he'll probably ding me with a neg but I'd rather have a neg than be out of money.

I'd do the same. What kind of buyer claims that he tried to pay twice, and that they would be waiting for their item? This guy is obviously not a buyer that can be trusted, and I wouldn't want to deal with him

You can still get the final value fee. You'll have to file an upaid item case. Assuming ebay sides with you, you'll get the fee back.

The big problem with ebay is that you can't give buyers negative feedback. Some sellers will give positive feedback as soon as they are paid. So if the guy hasn't sold anything, his feedback is kind of useless.

I think you should give him a reasonable deadline if one wasn't specified in your auction. I.E., if you don't pay within the next 48 hours I am filing an unpaid item claim and move forward. You're only other option would be to refund him if he paid and then you probably will be denied the fee unless you try to lie and say something happened to the item and there is no way you can ship.

Fake your own death!

Say you are your grandma finishing some unfinished business and that the item can't be sent because she doesn't speak anything but Navajo.

It might work..

No payment no item, he's probably trying to scam ya. I'd check his feedback left, because most sellers won't send you feedback until you send to them.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']You can still get the final value fee. You'll have to file an upaid item case. Assuming ebay sides with you, you'll get the fee back.
[/QUOTE]

All of my auctions state that I expect payment within 3 days or the item will be relisted. I'm actually pretty lenient with it if they contact me about it, though.

Apparently you can't file a UPI dispute if you've previously requested to cancel the transaction. I've tried numerous times through the resolution center.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']- I noticed the buyer marked the item as payment sent even though ebay shows that he never went through checkout and there's no payment showing in paypal (no pending, e-check, or otherwise)

- I contact buyer and ask him about marking the payment as sent. Buyer responds that he tried twice and will be waiting for the item.

- I check the buyer's bid history and notice that he's been bidding on and winning multiple auctions of the same games (including mine).

- I respond to the buyer stating that ebay shows he had not gone through checkout and that I saw no payment in paypal. I also linked him to his bid history and asked (politely as I could) why he's been bidding on multiple auctions of the same games. I also pointed out that he had won 4 auctions of the same game (in my auction) in the past month.

- Buyer responds that I was correct and he had made a mistake. He plans on paying me tomorrow. He also removed the payment sent status on the auction.

So, at this point I'm pretty sure he was trying to scam me and got scared when I presented him with evidence of his bid history. He never explained why he was bidding and winning multiple auctions of the same game either.

Any advice on what my next step should be? Obviously I don't think I should send the item, but I'm not too sure on the best way of "canceling" this transaction.[/QUOTE]

maybe hes making a game fort :)

No money, no mail. If he pays, you must send. If you do have to send, get delivery confirmation. Pay for insurance, in case he tries to claim damaged item. As for why he's multibidding, that's his deal. As long as he pays, it matters not.

Can you still report the game as being lost/misplaced and therefore impossible to send? If not, I would contact customer service directly.

bread's done
Back