Advice on laptops?

B56

CAG Veteran
So I plan on getting a laptop, but I don't really know where to start researching or really where to buy. Should I customize or buy a pre-made? It seems to me a pre-made is a bit cheaper. What brands are good? I heard Dell was good a couple years ago, but I'm not sure what the situation is now. Are there regularly sales for laptops like on Newegg?

just sign up for mailing lists on newegg and tigerdirect for their exclusive deals, and check slickdeals/cheapcheapcheap/retailmenot regularly for a good deal. Not sure how much you're looking to spend, but a couple days ago lenovo had pretty good quad laptop going for 800 bucks. As for what brands are good, I don't really know. If you don't mind recertified, refurbished, open box, or scratch and dents, you can always check dell outlet, which may or may not have good deals (inventory is always changing). I'm also in the market for a laptop, although I have a year to find one. If you can wait, you may want to hold off until black friday.

I've ordered a couple systems from Power Notebooks and they have some good quality stuff. They also firmly stand behind their products, which isn't always the case when going with the big-name vendors (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc).

I recommend Asus laptops. Their price is probably the best for the spec you can find from all the brand name laptops. They have great warranties too (Free 2 year normal warranty, and FREE 1 year accidental warranty). I'm thinking about picking up an i5 laptop soon and I already know I'm getting an Asus.

[quote name='luan87us']I recommend Asus laptops. Their price is probably the best for the spec you can find from all the brand name laptops. They have great warranties too (Free 2 year normal warranty, and FREE 1 year accidental warranty). I'm thinking about picking up an i5 laptop soon and I already know I'm getting an Asus.[/QUOTE]

agreed I'm looking at getting a netbook or 13" Asus laptop

Get the best deal with the highest amount of cashback.

I was looking for laptops and I ended up finding a great sale at BestBuy with 5% cashback. So $600 laptop and I'm waiting on my $30 now.

You can find great deals on all types of brands they're all good really.

Tigerdirect has 15% BCB right now. If you're looking to save, that'd be the site to order from. I just bought the Gateway NV5925U, which has an i5, it's 15.6", has a class 2 GPU and is $800 before BCB, $680 after BCB. Have to love them now that they don't tax CA.

Post what your primary use of the laptop will be. Then you can get better help. Honestly just watch slickdeals daily for laptop deals. Depending on what your looking for you won't have to wait long. If looking for a budget laptop the deals are a dime a dozen.

[quote name='saturnotaku']I've ordered a couple systems from Power Notebooks and they have some good quality stuff. They also firmly stand behind their products, which isn't always the case when going with the big-name vendors (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc).[/QUOTE]

their top of the ling offering are extremely over priced.
no OS is "standard" lol

I'm going to do a bit of casual gaming like Sims 3 and other RTS. I was thinking about this laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613

or maybe this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157118

which would you say is better?

I'm not really sure what the price range of a budget laptop is, but I don't change computers frequently, so it would last for at least 2 years.

Would you guys say Dell overcharges their product? I was looking at their Dell Studio XPS 16.

If you're going to use it for games, you're probably going to want the lenovo, as it carries a quad core, and I don't think theres a lot of games that will eat up 6gigs; 4 is plenty. If you didn't already bite the bullet, you may also want to look into this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00352LQZS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=pc

The specs are similar to the quad core, except the screen is slightly bigger and it has a one year "Lol i threw my comp in the pool" warranty.

Keep in mind, if it will usually be used unplugged, the i7 processors tear through a battery pretty quickly. They are sweet though. Don't bother buying more than 4Gb of RAM, if you need it later, you can add it yourself. If you want to put more money in, put it into the speed of the storage drive. SSD's are freaking pricey, but sweet. Check out external ports. esata and USB 3.0 are very nice to have. Firewire is great, but if you don't work with nicer video gear, you will likely never need it.

[quote name='tekzor']their top of the ling offering are extremely over priced.
no OS is "standard" lol[/QUOTE]

You get what you pay for. The system I bought from them 4 years ago is still going strong. The system my dad bought 3 years ago is still going strong. My wife had an HP that died after 18 months. I had a Dell that died after 24 months.

[quote name='helluvagood']id recommend the alienware 11mx. its a tiny little beast that will rip through any game, even crysis![/QUOTE]

Agree... it's really nice.

bread's done
Back