Advice on Live offer from dashboard

Kamera

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've had my Xbox for a little under a month now, and therefore my free month of Xbox Live is coming to an end. I have an offer on my dashboard for another free month, but it requires that I put in a credit card number and says that it will autorenew after a month. Obviously the smart thing to do would be to take the offer and then cancel the autorenewal, but I have no idea how good Microsoft is about things like that (and also with credit card information). Anyone have any words of wisdom they'd be willing to share?

If you cancel autorenewal, it will automatically cancel the XBL gold, but they'll still have your CC info, and if you resub to XBL gold (even w/ a card code), it will redo the autorenewal. So if you don't want MS to have your CC info, don't give it to them, unless you're prepared to go through calling them up.

If I wasn't at work I'd go find a pic of Admiral Ackbar that says 'IT"S A TRAP!!!'.

Confucious say: Only fool gives cc info to Microsoft.

Amazon routinely has deals on 12 month Gold cards.

You know this was actually a problem with my seperation. My husband actually had it set on auto renew on xbox live and wondered why he was getting charged. I really didn't want to say it, but he did it all himself. Of course, he stopped the auto payment.

[quote name='Puffa469']If I wasn't at work I'd go find a pic of Admiral Ackbar that says 'IT"S A TRAP!!!'.

Confucious say: Only fool gives cc info to Microsoft.

Amazon routinely has deals on 12 month Gold cards.[/QUOTE]

Xbox has my CC info but yet my account has NO Renewal or Payment set. :) I've used the CC for 400 (XBLA sales) or 800 Microsoft points on a few occasions.

It had previously been on auto-renewal (month-to-month) back in 2008 ($7.99). I did that for ONLY 1 month and I had the RRoD and I then redeemed the 1-month card that came back with my "repaired" 360 and it seemed to reset/erase my payment info. :) Have gone Silver for months at a time and redeemed some 1-month codes here and there.

I'm vigilant with EVERY transaction posted on my CC and all has been well.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Xbox has my CC info but yet my account has NO Renewal or Payment set. :) I've used the CC for 400 (XBLA sales) or 800 Microsoft points on a few occasions.

It had previously been on auto-renewal (month-to-month) back in 2008 ($7.99). I did that for ONLY 1 month and I had the RRoD and I then redeemed the 1-month card that came back with my "repaired" 360 and it seemed to reset/erase my payment info. :) Have gone Silver for months at a time and redeemed some 1-month codes here and there.

I'm vigilant with EVERY transaction posted on my CC and all has been well.[/QUOTE]

As long as you are careful with what you do with your credit/debit card information then you shouldn't have many problems. If you want to use it then fine, just let them know on customer service you want the auto-renewal turned off, which by most people's accounts they usually offer "deals" when you ask to have it turned off any way.

It is a pain in order to turn off auto-renewal, your on on hold with customer suport for a long time. I only buy the cards from walmart or amazon because Microsoft is a disaster to deal with. I would rather pay more just so I don't have to deal with the crummy customer service.

[quote name='GenPirate']Auto-renewal can be turned off online, you don't need to call in to turn it off.[/QUOTE]

They removed that feature. I took notice of it a few weeks ago, I'm guessing it happened when they updated the website.

Account Management Support

To cancel your Xbox LIVE membership or to change your auto renewal status, please call Xbox Support.

Never ever give MS your card for a number of reasons

1) If your accuont gets hacked, it's not big deal because they wouldn't get anything useful

2) It really is a trap....it's hell getting that card off of your account and more trouble than it's actually worth

3) You can find better deals on cards from Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, etc.

[quote name='jdktech2010']Never ever give MS your card for a number of reasons

1) If your accuont gets hacked, it's not big deal because they wouldn't get anything useful

2) It really is a trap....it's hell getting that card off of your account and more trouble than it's actually worth

3) You can find better deals on cards from Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, etc.[/QUOTE]

Any online account on the internet can be hacked, Microsoft isn't the only suseptable group ya know.

It's easy to get avalid card off Xbox live. Just replace it with a card that's about to expired, or if your card offers the abaility to generate one time use numbers (I think Paypal debit card offers this), create a new virtual number.. Apply it to live... Delete your real card... then close the virtual card number.

[quote name='ArtieMcD']It's easy to get avalid card off Xbox live. Just replace it with a card that's about to expired, or if your card offers the abaility to generate one time use numbers (I think Paypal debit card offers this), create a new virtual number.. Apply it to live... Delete your real card... then close the virtual card number.[/QUOTE]

This is the best route to go but keep in mind even if you change it to a card that is about to expire that if your card company gives you a new card with the exact same number and just an expiration date you will more then likely continue to get charged. Microsoft will just try and push it throw for the same month exp for the next 6 years until it authorizes it for being the correct one. That happened to me once so I would avoid going that route because you have to chew a ton of ass out at microsoft to get them to refund your card and even then they technically never did anything wrong because you failed to update your info as you agreed to when you selected to sign up for live and blah blah blah

bread's done
Back