Advice on selling a Xbox 360 on Craiglist

kme06d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm trying to sell a 250gb slim Xbox 360 on Craigslist, but I'm having trouble closing on the sale. Every buyer I've talked with wants to see that the unit works in person, but given how sketchy craigslist is, I'm not letting them come to my house or going to theirs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can sell this thing locally? I'm trying to get at least $80 for it. I'd like to avoid eBay because I've had numerous shipping troubles in the past.

Thanks in advance!

I've never sold on CL, only bought, but I'll try. Unless you've done this already, maybe put up pictures of the Xbox turned on, playing a game, browsing an app. Something that proves the console works, without revealing any info, like your GT. Obviously, a picture of the console itself helps.

Give them a list of ten games you own, have them choose one at random, boot up and show the load screen for the game they chose and snap a pic and send it to them.  

Thanks for the suggestions. This is my first time selling a console on there, and I thought this would be an easier sell.

Unfortunately, no one will go for the picture idea since they want to see it in person. I did tell someone I'd offer their money back if they take it and it doesn't work.

That might have been opening up a new set of problems, but that seemed to be the only agreeable solution. They're thinking it over and will get back to me later.

I understand from a buyer's point of view to not get ripped off, but safety is the #1 concern, on both sides. Make it crystal clear, that since you don't know them, it's not a smart idea to let them in to your home/apartment. If they can't accept that, then there's no sale.

You just want $80? Trade it in at a retailer for $100 - $150 towards a next gen console. If you are pressed for cash then try and sell it for a bit more on ebay so you get around $80 after fees. Post some pictures of you playing a game on it so people know its legit. Just a few ideas. I traded mine in towards a ps4 then sold it on ebay. 

Only way you could do it "on the road" as it were, would be to bring a small (19-22" TV) and a DC-to-AC inverter that would handle 300-400W of AC output in the car with you.    Then, you could do it somewhere public, like the parking lot of a police station.  Borrow those items from a friend, if you have to, though the DC-to-AC inverter is a useful item to have for the car.

A couple of the local towns here have offered up their front lobby or their parking lot for people to do exchanges via Craigslist, due to this local case where a college student selling his car on Craigslist was shot and killed:

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/06/taylor-clark-body-found-hazelwood/70879300/

If you can come to an arrangement, a police parking lot wouldn't be a bad idea.

[quote name="mikeg818" post="12774837" timestamp="1435589319"]You just want $80? Trade it in at a retailer for $100 - $150 towards a next gen console. If you are pressed for cash then try and sell it for a bit more on ebay so you get around $80 after fees. Post some pictures of you playing a game on it so people know its legit. Just a few ideas. I traded mine in towards a ps4 then sold it on ebay. [/quote]
Thanks! I already have the next gen consoles, but I'll try eBay again if the deal with this buyer doesn't work out. I only paid $40 for it on Amazon Warehouse Deals, so I'm just trying to make a bit of a profit.

I had it up on eBay for $100 plus $10 shipping last week and noone bought it.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12774844" timestamp="1435589485"]Only way you could do it "on the road" as it were, would be to bring a small (19-22" TV) and a DC-to-AC inverter that would handle 300-400W of AC output in the car with you. Then, you could do it somewhere public, like the parking lot of a police station. Borrow those items from a friend, if you have to, though the DC-to-AC inverter is a useful item to have for the car.

A couple of the local towns here have offered up their front lobby or their parking lot for people to do exchanges via Craigslist, due to this local case where a college student selling his car on Craigslist was shot and killed:

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/06/taylor-clark-body-found-hazelwood/70879300/

If you can come to an arrangement, a police parking lot wouldn't be a bad idea.[/quote]
Eesh... Scary stuff. That's why noone is coming to my house. That's a good idea about the car, but I still have the same concern with safety. I usually meet people in a public place by the front door to deter any funny business.

Eesh... Scary stuff. That's why noone is coming to my house. That's a good idea about the car, but I still have the same concern with safety. I usually meet people in a public place by the front door to deter any funny business.
No reason why you shouldn't have concerns about your safety.

The DC-to-AC inverter and small LCD monitor/TV were how I've heard other CAGs and other people have allowed for testing of a console system and not need to be at one's house to show it off. Thought it might be helpful.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12774922" timestamp="1435592422"]No reason why you shouldn't have concerns about your safety.

The DC-to-AC inverter and small LCD monitor/TV were how I've heard other CAGs and other people have allowed for testing of a console system and not need to be at one's house to show it off. Thought it might be helpful.[/quote]
My worst case scenario brain can come up with a lot that can happen safety wise.

That does sound like the best bet, but no one I know has one to borrow. I looked up the price of those adapters and they're $40! A great investment if I was going to use it a lot, but for a one use purchase it's not worth it.

And my luck just changed! A friend of mine does have one! I can bring him along for protection and I can use his adaptor for the Xbox and a monitor. Thank you for the idea!

[quote name="soonersfan60" post="12775114" timestamp="1435597603"]I remember selling something so I plugged it in an outlet on the exterior of a bank building... Cops pulled up and asked what we were doing. :p[/quote]
Ha ha! That would seem suspicious.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12774922" timestamp="1435592422"]No reason why you shouldn't have concerns about your safety.

The DC-to-AC inverter and small LCD monitor/TV were how I've heard other CAGs and other people have allowed for testing of a console system and not need to be at one's house to show it off. Thought it might be helpful.[/quote]
Do you know how much power a Xbox 360 requires? I want to make sure the adaptor my friend has has enough power for the Xbox and a small monitor. Thanks!

Do you know how much power a Xbox 360 requires? I want to make sure the adaptor my friend has has enough power for the Xbox and a small monitor. Thanks!
It could be up to 220W, if it's an old fat system. A small LCD monitor/TV should be about 50-75W, so as long as the converter does 300W+, you should be good to go.

Make sure the monitor or TV does audio, otherwise they'll be questioning if the 360 has working audio.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12776838" timestamp="1435674922"]It could be up to 220W, if it's an old fat system. A small LCD monitor/TV should be about 50-75W, so as long as the converter does 300W+, you should be good to go.

Make sure the monitor or TV does audio, otherwise they'll be questioning if the 360 has working audio.[/quote]
Thanks! It's the slim model, all matte finish. It was manufactured in 2012.

My solution is to record yourself testing out the system.  

You just need a camcorder or a smartphone.  I flip some systems on CL and what I do is I record the system's serial number by logging into the Xbox 360 settings and testing out the online log in to show it isn't banned and then loading a game into the disc tray, playing it, and removing it.  It'll help if you have somebody to help you record obviously but you can do it by yourself if you're careful enough.  All in all, my videos are usually 5 minutes long.  

That way, you'll be able to meet at a public place with your video.

You're welcome ;)

Another option I'd recommend for you I think was mentioned earlier in this thread is to just trade into GS for the $150 promo towards a current gen system.  Return the system and you'll bank the $150 credit.  Nobody will pay you even close to that with cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="Donut2922" post="12777044" timestamp="1435680160"]My solution is to record yourself testing out the system.

You just need a camcorder or a smartphone. I flip some systems on CL and what I do is I record the system's serial number by logging into the Xbox 360 settings and testing out the online log in to show it isn't banned and then loading a game into the disc tray, playing it, and removing it. It'll help if you have somebody to help you record obviously but you can do it by yourself if you're careful enough. All in all, my videos are usually 5 minutes long.

That way, you'll be able to meet at a public place with your video.

You're welcome ;)

Another option I'd recommend for you I think was mentioned earlier in this thread is to just trade into GS for the $150 promo towards a current gen system. Return the system and you'll bank the $150 credit. Nobody will pay you even close to that with cash.[/quote]
Would Gamestop think that's fishy doing that? Or would they even know if I go to a different store to return?

Also, the barcode on the Xbox is there and visible, but looks like someone cut the top of it off. Idk if they would reject it for that.

[quote name="soonersfan60" post="12780876" timestamp="1435842674"]My understanding is that no bar code/serial number means GS will not accept the unit.[/quote]
It's there, but just the top is cut. Everything is visible on it. I wasn't sure if they required it to be all there. No idea why someone did that.

I'll take it in tonight and see what they say. Worst case is that they will reject it.

Okay back from gamestop. The guy noted the torn barcode. I also had a working but busted controller that I paired with it and forgot to bring the hdmi cable. But he had another controller in back and an extra hdmi so he gave me the promo credit.

I'm now a proud owner of a ps4+batman game for $264. I've never done this before, so when do I return the console? Do I wait a week or can I go tomorrow? Any chance they'd deny the return or only give me partial credit back since my return was part of a promotion? I'm going to a different store to return just to be safe.

Okay back from gamestop. The guy noted the torn barcode. I also had a working but busted controller that I paired with it and forgot to bring the hdmi cable. But he had another controller in back and an extra hdmi so he gave me the promo credit. I'm now a proud owner of a ps4+batman game for $264. I've never done this before, so when do I return the console? Do I wait a week or can I go tomorrow? Any chance they'd deny the return or only give me partial credit back since my return was part of a promotion? I'm going to a different store to return just to be safe.
No reason you can't do it today, though you have a month to return it as long as you haven't opened the console or the game.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12784421" timestamp="1436022264"]No reason you can't do it today, though you have a month to return it as long as you haven't opened the console or the game.[/quote]
Thanks. I did end up going yesterday. I mentioned this in the $150 off gamestop trade in thread, but here is what happened when I returned...

"They took the system back no problem (but opened it to check the serial number?) and I got the $150 back. I walked around the store for a bit and then got some Amazon giftcards. I asked if you can use credit to get them (I knew you could, but I was trying to be innocent about it) they said yes and rang me up. The manager came over to me and told me that they usually do not allow returns when using promo trade-in credit so I know in the future.

I'm not sure if he just had a lot of people abusing this promo or thought I was suspicious, but I've now been verbally warned by a store.

Other than that, I had no issues. Maybe it would have been better to buy the giftcards at another store, but I didn't want to drive all around today."

They opened it to check the SN to make sure you weren't doing a switcheroo on them and give them a different console (like a non-working one) than the one you bought.

Unfortunately, they are right about the trade-in promo being an issue on a return, though it's usually only Jr Detective employees or asshole GS managers that make a stink about it.  They know trade-in credit can't be spent anywhere else, so it's not like they're giving you cash money back on the return.

[quote name="shrike4242" post="12784732" timestamp="1436044758"]They opened it to check the SN to make sure you weren't doing a switcheroo on them and give them a different console (like a non-working one) than the one you bought.

Unfortunately, they are right about the trade-in promo being an issue on a return, though it's usually only Jr Detective employees or asshole GS managers that make a stink about it. They know trade-in credit can't be spent anywhere else, so it's not like they're giving you cash money back on the return.[/quote]
That makes sense about the console.

I initially wasn't sure if they would give me the full trade in credit back or just $50 for the real trade in value of the system and keep the rest since I returned the promo item. The guy that came over to me wasn't around when I did the return transaction, but I guess he was in the back when they brought the ps4 back there. I assumed he was a manager, but I don't know for sure.

I'll avoid that store for a while in case they flagged me for some reason. I think I might have done this once before, but if I did, I can't remember it and doubt it would have been recent enough for them to have me flagged.

As other's stated Trade it in to GameStop and get the bonus but pre-order the Forza limited edition Xbox1. Then wait a few days or so and cancel the pre-order? Unless you actually need the cash...

If that's the case have them meet at the local gamestop etc they test the system like you are trading it in. Once they test and give offer say you changed your mind. Head back to parking lot and do your deal.

[quote name="SnoT" post="12810412" timestamp="1437078073"]As other's stated Trade it in to GameStop and get the bonus but pre-order the Forza limited edition Xbox1. Then wait a few days or so and cancel the pre-order? Unless you actually need the cash...

If that's the case have them meet at the local gamestop etc they test the system like you are trading it in. Once they test and give offer say you changed your mind. Head back to parking lot and do your deal.[/quote]
Thanks. I traded it in already for the $150 credit for next gen promo, and was successful. I also successfully returned the ps4, but received a verbal warning not to return an item bought with promo credit. I went to a different store, but maybe I did it too soon.

Thanks. I traded it in already for the $150 credit for next gen promo, and was successful. I also successfully returned the ps4, but received a verbal warning not to return an item bought with promo credit. I went to a different store, but maybe I did it too soon.
Dude, we live in the 21st century and all you say is complete nonsense. Firstly, the buyer wants to make sure that the device is working, this is completely normal. Secondly, I don’t understand why you can’t make a video and send a video proof to the buyer. Thirdly, for any successful sale you need good advertising. And in the fourth, a craiglist is a terrific platform on which millions of transactions take place daily, so I don’t understand why you criticize so much ... In any case, you also use the craiglist regularly and I’m interested in answering my question. What do you think, how does a craiglist company profit? There are no ads or paid elements on the site except for certain sections. At the same time, the company makes huge profits. You can read about it here https://investotrend.com/how-does-craigslist-makes-money/. There is a lot of interesting information, but I did not understand the method of their earnings.

bread's done
Back