Advice on what form of High-speed to get

you can get dsl for like 12-20/ month. that's a good deal. even though it's a bit slower than cable, it's not worth paying twice as much for

if money is not an object (i know this is cag but people do like to splurge), i recommend verizon fios...i have it and its fucking awesome....they charge per speed, i have the 15mb package for $50 right now, but they also have a 5 mb package for like $30 i think...imo thats has better value than dsl by far

I have 6Mbps service from SBC for 27.99 a month, I don't know if you live in the "SBC footprint" but if you do, check it out

I got DSL and I live at my college's dorms. It goes up to 3mgs and it's less then $30 a month. I think it's $23.. maybe $25.. I don't remember haha.

As a cable guy I can give you my 2cents.

DSL(NOT DS LITE) is good but you have to take into consideration a few things. How far are you from their switching station? This will affect your total speed. 2nd How good(old?) is the telephone lines in your house? With DSL you can ussaly get a cheap price but for the most part you are cought in a 1-2 year contract. You will be able to rerate and upgrade but also have to restart your contract. Depending on the package you get you might have to wait a few days to get the full speed(this is called ramp up) while the modem configures your signal.

Cable is pretty common, IF you already have cable TV you could have Internet as soon as you walk down to the local cable office and pick up a modem. The quality of the cable line is also something to keep in mind. If you have a big splitter in you basement connecting 100 TV's thats going to be a problem. For the most part if you have a tech come out to do the install the tech will be able to make sure the signal is right and if need be make you a new outlet. Usually Cable is a few bucks more then DSL but you get a higher speed,you also get the full speed right away out of the box,and the big PLUS IMO is that you are not in a contract, don't like the service? Cancel with no termination fee.

FIOS is excellent but limited to certain areas. FIOS is going to offer the highest speeds and pretty competitive prices to that of the competitors. you can check out Verizon.com to see if FIOS is available in your area, if it's not they will email you when it is.

No matter what you pick, check the local BB and CC ads before you sign up with anyone. My local BB will give you a $150 giftcard for signing up with them at the store.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']As a cable guy I can give you my 2cents.

DSL(NOT DS LITE) is good but you have to take into consideration a few things. How far are you from their switching station? This will affect your total speed. 2nd How good(old?) is the telephone lines in your house? With DSL you can ussaly get a cheap price but for the most part you are cought in a 1-2 year contract. You will be able to rerate and upgrade but also have to restart your contract. Depending on the package you get you might have to wait a few days to get the full speed(this is called ramp up) while the modem configures your signal.

[/QUOTE]

Cable also has some problems. If there are alot of users on your node, that can significantly decrease your speed. Also, Cable tends to be more expensive. Look at something like comcast. Sure its $20/ month for 3 months, then it goes to $35 if you have other services with them or $50 if you dont. I may have to renew a contract for my DSL every 6 months, but I can allways get the promo rate. YOu wont find that with cable.

[quote name='Michaellvortega'] With DSL you can ussaly get a cheap price but for the most part you are cought in a 1-2 year contract. You will be able to rerate and upgrade but also have to restart your contract. [/QUOTE]

Not true. I had DSL with a local company and there was a contract or no contract option. I also upgraded before and didn't have to sign a contract. I did go with the contract option because it was cheaper and they had a really good reputation.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Usually Cable is a few bucks more then DSL but you get a higher speed...and the big PLUS IMO is that you are not in a contract, don't like the service? Cancel with no termination fee.[/QUOTE]

Depends on where you live. My DSL was costing me $19.99/month for 1.5MB or $29.99/month for 3MB. I'm with a cable provider right now that's charging me $59.99/month for the same 3MB connection (the upload is even slower). I have to pay this because the house I'm currently in has a screwed up phone line so I can't get DSL here. Also, I AM in a contract.

My best recommendation to the OP is do your research. Prices, reliability, and speeds will definitely vary depending on where you live.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']Not true. I had DSL with a local company and there was a contract or no contract option. I also upgraded before and didn't have to sign a contract. I did go with the contract option because it was cheaper and they had a really good reputation.

Depends on where you live. My DSL was costing me $19.99/month for 1.5MB or $29.99/month for 3MB. I'm with a cable provider right now that's charging me $59.99/month for the same 3MB connection (the upload is even slower). I have to pay this because the house I'm currently in has a screwed up phone line so I can't get DSL here. Also, I AM in a contract.

My best recommendation to the OP is do your research. Prices, reliability, and speeds will definitely vary depending on where you live.[/quote]

Well what he said is true in general, but overall you are right: the OP should check with their local providers for price, service terms, and availability.

It's high;y dependent on where you live.

For instance, legislation was just passed in California that the telcos desparately wanted before pushing their fiber expansions into high gear.

One of their major objectives is to compete with the cable MSOs on TV service. That capability goes hand in hand with being able to offer FIOS types speeds. The problem for them is that cable companies have always had to deal on an individual basis with municipalities. Every rinky dink small town can have some weird rule they have to follow. The telcos are accustomed to dealing with county or state level authorities and waged a campaign to have the laws altered so they could do the same when it came to TV service.

They got their way, so things could be heating up in the DSL sector of this state much more rapidly than previously. Having another competitor for TV service cannot hurt and it gives thme the incentive to bring their fiber ever closer.

[quote name='uli2000']Cable also has some problems. If there are alot of users on your node, that can significantly decrease your speed. Also, Cable tends to be more expensive. Look at something like comcast. Sure its $20/ month for 3 months, then it goes to $35 if you have other services with them or $50 if you dont. I may have to renew a contract for my DSL every 6 months, but I can allways get the promo rate. YOu wont find that with cable.[/QUOTE]

You can do the same with cable. Just call and rerate or say your canceling, no point paying more for less if there is a competitor to you current service.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']You can do the same with cable. Just call and rerate or say your canceling, no point paying more for less if there is a competitor to you current service.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Time Warner was great for that. I called and just said I wanted a cheaper rate (I was going to say I wanted to cancel, but didn't even need to). The CSR said sure, the funny thing is she couldn't reduce the rate, so she just gave me 6 month free (making it half price). I ended up moving out of that apartment before the rates kicked in again, so I got 6 months of free internet. Obviously that was pretty lucky.

You have to have HOME PHONE service to have DSL, correct? I know I live with just a cell phone right now because $30+ for home phone service is not really worth it.

[quote name='doubledown']You have to have HOME PHONE service to have DSL, correct? I know I live with just a cell phone right now because $30+ for home phone service is not really worth it.[/QUOTE]

Usually. That's why I have cable.

[quote name='doubledown']You have to have HOME PHONE service to have DSL, correct? I know I live with just a cell phone right now because $30+ for home phone service is not really worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you do need a phone line to have DSL. This is why I can't have DSL because my phone line is messed up.

[quote name='doubledown']You have to have HOME PHONE service to have DSL, correct? I know I live with just a cell phone right now because $30+ for home phone service is not really worth it.[/quote]You can get dryline DSL. You don't need to have home phone, but you will have to sign up with your telco for the DSL.

[quote name='Hunter55']if money is not an object (i know this is cag but people do like to splurge), i recommend verizon fios...i have it and its fucking awesome....they charge per speed, i have the 15mb package for $50 right now, but they also have a 5 mb package for like $30 i think...imo thats has better value than dsl by far[/QUOTE]

You lucky SOB. FIOS isn't available in my area. I've got 3mbps Verizon DSL.

[quote name='slvrdrgn123']You can get dryline DSL. You don't need to have home phone, but you will have to sign up with your telco for the DSL.[/QUOTE]
Some telcos, such as Qwest, Verizon, and AT&T offer naked DSL, but they often charge more than the equivalent bundled service. The FCC ruled that states can't for telcos to offer naked DSL, but they will make it worth their while if you skip out on their bread and butter.

bread's done
Back