Advice: The eternal question. Xbox One or not to Xbox One

dravack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
Short Version:

I'm bored and putting off studying for a final I have lol. So yeah feel free to ignore all of this if you want. I'm just looking for an excuse to not study.

Long Version:

Moving into a new apartment in a month. Comes with awesome hdmi tivo like cable box. Really tempted to buy xbox one for the silly "xbox I want to watch history channel" Or "xbox scifi channel" etc.. silly things. Of course I do want to play Ryse, Dead Rising, and Titanfall (yes I could go with the 360 or pc version) so wouldn't all be for the silly gimmicks. Pricing is getting about right for me was going to wait for $300 for the system. Newegg just had a deal for $450 + titanfall + forza. Which made the system like $330 to $350 depending on pricing of games or how much I'd be willing to spend (forza is nice and all but I love my arcade racers need for speed etc..) plus who pays full price for games lol.

So yeah my problem is should I buy one? I have a ps4 so don't tell me it's better and I should buy one. Also have a decent enough desktop for computer gaming. It's about 4 or 5 years old now so could use some updating but honestly i don't care to pc game right now goes in phases lol. I'm like the moon sometimes I want to go all serious and get on a computer and nerd out. But, honestly now I just want to crash on the couch and play a few games in between classes and work plus their more (local) multiplayer friendly though that's really more the wii/wii u territory.

So yeah what do you guys think worth it? Or am I just wanting something shiny that's on the other side of the fence since it's always greener there. Oh and yeah I know in the end it's my opinion and choice that matters but I'm bored and putting off studying for a final I have lol. So yeah feel free to ignore all of this if you want. I'm just looking for an excuse to not study.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an XB1 back when it was $500 by itself and it was before they put out the software updates to fix it. For that reason my opinion of it is tainted. I thought it was a waste of money and potential.

I bought an XB1 back when it was $500 by itself and it was before they put out the software updates to fix it. For that reason my opinion of it is tainted. I thought it was a waste of money and potential.
Yeah I think all the issues I've heard has tainted my opinion of it too. $500 which is asking at most stores when not on sale is just to much in my opinion. But I figure at the $300 or at least close to it price range it can't be that bad.

I, too, am avoiding studying/writing papers for finals. So I can empathize with you in that aspect.

I will make it short though- don't do it. I know quite a few people who

1. Have bought one and don't play it at all because of lack of good games.

2. Bought one, but play their 360 on a much more regular basis

3. bought it, traded or sold it for a PS4

honestly, I don't think its an impressive system. The Kinect thing is junk and kind of dumb. I mean, if you want to sound like a crazy person yelling at your TV, watch sports or something. In all seriousness, I just don't think it is a worthwhile investment.

I, too, am avoiding studying/writing papers for finals. So I can empathize with you in that aspect.

I will make it short though- don't do it. I know quite a few people who

1. Have bought one and don't play it at all because of lack of good games.

2. Bought one, but play their 360 on a much more regular basis

3. bought it, traded or sold it for a PS4

honestly, I don't think its an impressive system. The Kinect thing is junk and kind of dumb. I mean, if you want to sound like a crazy person yelling at your TV, watch sports or something. In all seriousness, I just don't think it is a worthwhile investment.
Pffft don't lie you know you do that already anyway! This way the tv just responds back when you yell. lol jk

Honestly, other than the three games I mentioned above I don't know anything else that's xbox (or at least Microsoft) exclusive that I'd want right now. Is a system worth three games I guess I should be asking. (probably a few more games I'm not thinking of right now)

Right now on my ps4 I only have call of duty and need for speed. Kinda thought about getting killzone but I dunno. It's only like $35 or $40 right now on amazon so its tempting. What I really want to come out is watchdog, destiny, and last of us. Never got to play it on ps3 so figured I'd wait for the ps4 release in hd yada yada before buying it.

Depends on what you want it for. I've had both systems since launch and I've spent the vast majority of my time on Xbox One, mainly because of Titanfall and I also love how it integrates itself with my other electronics. I love being able to say "Xbox, On" and my system turns on, turns my TV on, and then to sign in I just have to sit down in front of it. I know that sounds dumb, but you really can't appreciate the convenience of this until you try it. I know it gets ragged on a lot, but I know very few people who bash it having given it a chance and tried it out.

But, if you're going to spend money on it, you have to make sure it's going to be worth your while. I've always seen Xbox as a more shooter oriented console, which is what I love the most, so I've always had one. Titanfall is truly amazing and if you're into first person shooters is definitely worth a try. I've put more time into it than all my other games on PS4/Xbox One combined.

What other games on the system are you interested in? If you're into Gears or Halo and there's games out now that interest you, I say go for it. If you're not into any games coming out soon that are exclusive to Xbox, then it's probably not worth it.

Depends on what you want it for. I've had both systems since launch and I've spent the vast majority of my time on Xbox One, mainly because of Titanfall and I also love how it integrates itself with my other electronics. I love being able to say "Xbox, On" and my system turns on, turns my TV on, and then to sign in I just have to sit down in front of it. I know that sounds dumb, but you really can't appreciate the convenience of this until you try it. I know it gets ragged on a lot, but I know very few people who bash it having given it a chance and tried it out.

But, if you're going to spend money on it, you have to make sure it's going to be worth your while. I've always seen Xbox as a more shooter oriented console, which is what I love the most, so I've always had one. Titanfall is truly amazing and if you're into first person shooters is definitely worth a try. I've put more time into it than all my other games on PS4/Xbox One combined.

What other games on the system are you interested in? If you're into Gears or Halo and there's games out now that interest you, I say go for it. If you're not into any games coming out soon that are exclusive to Xbox, then it's probably not worth it.
Yeah I'd get halo. But meh on gears I don't like 3rd person shooters. First person is good. I like first person shooters, racers (arcade and kart games), and rts games best but yeah... rts is pc only really. so shooters and racers and maybe the odd platformer. I'm also really enjoying mercenary kings right now.

I like RPGs like final fantasy and zelda. But honestly my real love is for multiplayer games.

hook your pc up to your tv. BOOM, free more powerful xbone!
mehhhhhhhhhhh pc sucks lol. It's great for rts and other solo style games (yes i know rts is multiplayer via lan or internet)

console is great to have when your buddy comes over you both grab a beer and can sit on the couch and couch and game. Play todays version of crappy madden (god I miss blitz lol)... Actually was it blitz I can't remember old game back in the 90s maybe early 2000s. You could type in codes to get different costumes for your players like giant heads etc...

Besides I'm going to be honest I'm want the xbox for the tvio/dvr/direct tv like interface it will give my crappy cable box. Though since I'm moving in a few weeks and getting a new cable box with new company (comcast yay) I might actually have a decent box that has whats coming up next etc.. right now im stuck with that crappy little channel that on loop.

Look. If you can afford an X1 and want to game. Get one. I love mine. I use it for everything. Games, Blurays, YouTube and Netflix. The games out now are a lot of fun and its only gonna get more and better. They and get one of the ones that are $450 including Forza 5 and Titanfall.

As someone who owns both consoles (X1 and PS4) I would say wait. Unless you have a game in mind that you want to play right away I would steer clear of both consoles at least until E3.  

As someone who owns both consoles (X1 and PS4) I would say wait. Unless you have a game in mind that you want to play right away I would steer clear of both consoles at least until E3.
Yeah I plan on waiting. But if another $450 deal comes up i'm going to pounce on it. Hard to be a current gen system this close to launch for $330ish. Only thing I know thats out right now I want to play is titanfall, ryse, and deadrising. Rest of the stuff like halo etc.. won't be out for a few months. Kinda the same issue with the ps4 nothing is out.

bread's done
Back