Age of Empires Online - Free

[quote name='dabamus']Wrong. It's not an MMO. It's a strategy game.[/QUOTE]

yeh i was bout to say otherwise..

[quote name='mikami']does it force you to use games for windows live?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I still don't see why so many people bitch about GFWL...

I'm all for overloading this forum with beta applications. In fact, I extended it with free to play MMO links. Let's clog this up so real game deals are lost.

sound familiar? Idiot.

[quote name='cRodz']No Steam. No play :)[/QUOTE]

Steam is overrated and don't see the hype for it. I enjoy gfwl. Don't like it? Don't play it, simple as that. Going to give the game a try..

[quote name='Vekou']You can.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but cheesily enough, they've assigned many of the current achievements (I didn't count but it could be as many as 2/3) to tasks you are supposed to accomplish "using premium content" (at this point, this generally means ponying up $20 for a premium civilization pack.

If its free wouldnt you imagine it would go in the section labeled free and not the deals section? I mean if it only cost 1.00 down from 10.00 then that would be deal.

[quote name='dabamus']Yes. I still don't see why so many people bitch about GFWL...[/QUOTE]

Me either, I've always had positive experiences with it, and as already said, you get achievements!

The "no steam no play" idea becoming more and more prevalent lately is sort of embarrassing really. I mean if you had a PS3 and an XBox and you preferred XBL, would you NOT play a game because it just came out on the PS3?... Plus with Steam you can still create shortcuts IN Steam to any game, Steam enable or not. Sure you don't get the Steam achievements or auto updates but have we really become that lazy?

[quote name='dabamus']Yes. I still don't see why so many people bitch about GFWL...[/QUOTE]

Here's my experience with GFWL when installing Age of Empires.

-Downloading game.......downloader freezes twice (not sure if GFWL fault, but whatever)

-Installation OK, no problems

-Click on play button, GFWL launches and I get to do the forgot-login-password dance.

-OK so I figured out my ID/password. Logging in......I am prompted for a serial key (wtf?). There is no mention of a serial key on the AoE site or during the DL and install process.

-Spend 10 minutes searching internet forums for how to locate key. No mention of this key is made in the AoE FAQ.

-Find answer: Turns out I have to log into GFWL and go to my games and find the key under the AoE information. OK Fine.

-Login to the GFWL client outside of the game but now I am getting a login error:
"There is a problem with your login: Error 8015403A", with a hard to see link colored in light light gray on a white background that says "Click here to resolve".

-I click the link and the GFWL client opens and I have to agree to some terms and conditions. OK done. Now I am logged in to the client but there is no mention of what the error was....

Google the error number............It means that the terms and conditions have been updated and I need to agree to them. fucking really? They couldn't have just said that instead of giving me some cryptic stupid fucking number?

In the end it turns out I didn't need to manually enter the key anyway. When I alt-tabbed back into AoE the game was ready. The only reason it was asking was because I wasn't logged in properly because of the ToS bullshit. Once I had cleared the error the game automatically verified the key and started.

GFWL sucks ass. If they implemented it in as many games as Steam has then perhaps it wouldn't be such a problem. If I also had an Xbox 360 I wouldn't mind as much since I can get achievement points. Really it's just a half-ass'd attempt to cater to PC gamers and pretend like Microsoft hasn't abandoned them.

As for Age of Empires Online, it's great I played it for several hours. Too bad it isn't on Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
GFWL can be a PITA, but so what, most PC gamers can probably figure out the (usually rare) glitches. It isn't like this is an iOS game or something. . . that it is such a hot topic in a thread about a free game just means the hate is strong on this board, which is no surprise since most people on this board hate PC gaming anyway.

bread's done
Back