Age of Empires Online

ExplodingRat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Anyone playing?

So far (I'm only level 5) it's pretty easy, but I just started playing quests where I can do them co-op.

I also figured I'd throw out the idea of maybe having a CAG chatroom we could all go into? General Chat is absolute rubbish.

Anywho, anyone playing currently or play during beta with thoughts?

I enjoyed it during beta reminded me of Age Of Empire 2. The PVP was botched when I was in the beta not sure how it is now.

I'm at 6 or 7.....

I haven't decided if paying is going to benefit me more or not... considering I'm already getting items I can't use... and I can only make 2 generators of items....

[quote name='xycury']I'm at 6 or 7.....

I haven't decided if paying is going to benefit me more or not... considering I'm already getting items I can't use... and I can only make 2 generators of items....[/QUOTE]

I sprang on the retail version, to get the premium Greek and the "Windy's Wild Widgets" store.... Which was a waste. I figured it might be neat as that's the only way you can get that "Store" in your town, but I wish I had gone for the launch special.

I really like the game so far though.

Just got to my first co-op available quest and I'd love to play with some CAGers.

Gamertag: TristanGDP

I got the launch special. I'm liking it so far got to level 7 with Greek and Egyptian. Might want to put your server cause that matters when playing with people I think. I'm on the Abydos. I had a friend on the Marathon and he said he kept trying to play with me and said it wouldn't let him.

I'm playing and currently level 12. BIG AoE fan and this is pretty fun actually.

Best part is later on we could all get on the same server and it wouldn't affect anything that I know of. For free of course

Hey,

Just logged in and I am already lvl 4. This game has improved a lot. I like it very much. Add me as I think this will be in my play cycle for some time.

Cheers,
Megazell

[quote name='Megazell']Hey,

Just logged in and I am already lvl 4. This game has improved a lot. I like it very much. Add me as I think this will be in my play cycle for some time.

Cheers,
Megazell[/QUOTE]

Gamertag?

[quote name='Temidien']Gamertag?[/QUOTE]

Megazell in all things online.

I just started playing as well. Sadly no one on my friends list have started to play, so if anyone wants to play, send me a friend request.

Interesting..I am downloading this now to check out. I haven't touched the series since the first and its expansions, but I loved it back in the day. Great LAN play.

Started playing the other day and I'm only a Level 4.
I'm still trying to figure out if the I should get the Special Launch offer that includes Prem Egypt and Greek with Defense of Crete Booster for $40. Here I planned to just play this damn game for free.

I've still been playing. I wish one of my friends would get this game but they are either on mac or have outdated PCs that can't run it. I like it but get bored of playing on my own. Its hard for me to find someone around my level to coop missions with. :(

I'm still playing this game. My Greek dudes are like level 25 and I have the Egyptians up to 10.

I got to a tough challenge last night called Hope Eternal. The first time you do the challenge, you just start on an empty island and have to build a city center and get to Age IV within like 15-20 minutes. The third time you do the challenge, all the islands on the maps have bad guys on them. I can get to Age III before the bad guys stumble across me and wipe me out.

I thought of a a couple things this morning I'm going to implement tonight. If I can't beat it this time, I'm just going to move on and try again sometime in the future.

[quote name='Hoffer']I thought of a a couple things this morning I'm going to implement tonight. If I can't beat it this time, I'm just going to move on and try again sometime in the future.[/QUOTE]

and I beat it.

I had a purple special ability that called in 30 assorted mercenaries. Once my town center was built, I called them in and they plowed through the bad guys that were on the island with ease. Maybe it was kinda cheating, but I beat the damn thing. :)

Who here is playing the free version and who has paid? For those who have paid, are you seeing value for your money?

I enjoyed the original AOE, played a very small amount of 2, never played 3, but I'm contemplating checking this out...

I bought the pack that comes with Greek and Egyptians with the free Defense of Cretes.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what I even got with it. You can't use the special colored items. Like purple items. You also can't get most of the achievements. Being a big achievement fan on Xbox 360, I get something out of those.

I'm playing for free, although I was in the beta which let you play as a "premium" civ. I haven't done any PvP, but for the PvE stuff it seems that the only difference is annoyance. You're limited on the number of storage buildings you can have, and not being able to do certain quests or use certain items is might get to you, although you can beat every quest fine without them.

I think I'm going to wait until there are more civ choices before I buy one myself.

I kinda regret buying both civs. I have spent many, many hours playing as the Greek and I'm only at level 31. I have my Egyptians to level 10, but I don't see getting them to level 40. I can't imagine when they come out with more civs I'd even consider buying them.

Maybe when I get to the Greek to 40, I can take a many month break. I find my self neglecting other great games that have come out recently. Gears of War 3 comes out Tuesday. I'll for sure turn my attention to that.

I've got my Greek civ up to level 38. So close to 40 I can taste it. :)

For some reason, I was not concentrating on the achievements for building that library and Spartan Academy. If I got the blueprints or resources for these in the past, I would have sold them off.

I got the blueprint for the libary over the weekend, but now getting the resources for it is a pain. I got two of the three things needed, but it looks like getting the third is luck. I guess you can buy stuff from other players, but I don't have a clue how to do that. Tried doing some google searches, but that didn't help me either.

I also did A LOT of the Cretes booster thing over the weekend. Enough that I was able to build the first blueprint you unlock for beating a 10 wave game. That was a grind, but for some reason I really enjoy it.

It looks like there are two achievements for playing coop. I need to find myself a partner for that.

Just downloaded the game, man that took a while, and played a bit. I'm level 3 right now and uhh I know how to play Age of Empires, wish I could skip these tutorial quests. This feels like Starcraft 2, essentially the same gameplay from the 90s but with now graphics and retweaked design structure.

I got my Greek civ to 40 last night. I really spent a lot of time doing that. My Egyptian civ is at level 10. Not sure I'll ever get them to 40. I think I need a break from Age of Empires. :)

[quote name='eastx']They just halved the price of the PDLC, making it much more attractive to buy. See my article for details.[/QUOTE]

wow, thanks for the heads up, I might just pick up the triple. playing 20 was way out of scope.

but for 25, I will play some more!

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']The spring update is live and the Celts are only 400 MSP.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

I am waiting for them to lower the Greek to 4.99... only one that I haven't bought.

haha seems like I'm paying for the whole game now.

[quote name='xycury']thanks!

I am waiting for them to lower the Greek to 4.99... only one that I haven't bought.

haha seems like I'm paying for the whole game now.[/QUOTE]

You can get it on steam for 4.99. They also have a pack on steam, 4 civilizations and 2 dlc for 16.99$.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13943

[quote name='Khalid']You can get it on steam for 4.99. They also have a pack on steam, 4 civilizations and 2 dlc for 16.99$.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13943[/QUOTE]

Yeah I found that out reading the steam forums :cry:

But I'm going to download the Free to play and see if it will register my account and buy the Greek pack later if it works.

I sure like Steam.

Here's my post in the Steam thread.... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9497214&postcount=1026

Seems like just uninstalling and reinstalling in Steam works fine and transfers over. Hello Greeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm just looking to do PvE stuff is there any reason to get more than one civ? I got the Celts and so far the tutorial quests are identical to the other civs. Do later level quests change depending on the civ or is it just same quests/different units? I don't think I'd want to go through leveling more civs if the quests are all the same.

Nope, sorry you can't get me interested. I've uninstalled and re-installed the game a staggering amount of times but I'm done with it. Very repetitive if you decide to stay on the free path.

[quote name='yukonrye']If I'm just looking to do PvE stuff is there any reason to get more than one civ? I got the Celts and so far the tutorial quests are identical to the other civs. Do later level quests change depending on the civ or is it just same quests/different units? I don't think I'd want to go through leveling more civs if the quests are all the same.[/QUOTE]

I would get them all, 30 bucks for all 4 civs and the booster packs, great deal compared to when each civ used to cost 20 bucks. Yeah the Greek and Egyptian share the Argos and Cyprus quests, but are totally different civs though. Have not really played with the Persians too much. The Celts was fun from what I played so far.

bread's done
Back