AGP Video Card Recommendations?

DrFoo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm still running a 9800 Pro AGP card in my PC and I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on a video card under $150 (maybe even a little more but only if the money makes a large difference) that would be a cheap and worthwhile upgrade. I meant to order one of those x800 pros on newegg for $130 but they are all sold out now. Any help on finding new deals would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to comb ebay and such.

PC Stats:
Athlon 64 3400+
1gb PC4200 Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb AGP
2x200 GB hard drives
(just trying to prolong the life of a system thats going to die fairly soon, on the last CPU for my socket and of course AGP...)

Thanks

I think the X850 Pro is the best you'll do in the $150 range. It's a fairly decent card on it's own and should provide a nice boost form the 9800.

[quote name='Vinny']I think the X850 Pro is the best you'll do in the $150 range. It's a fairly decent card on it's own and should provide a nice boost form the 9800.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the recommendation.
Yeah it does look like a real nice card. Over twice as fast as the one I have in my computer atm. Anybody have any recommendations on where to buy one? Pricegrabber (which searches newegg and several hundred other online retailers) didn't even find any x850 pros (just x850xts that were all over $400). Do you think it would be a good idea to just buy a used card on eBay (there are no new ones when I checked) thats guarenteed against being DOA and sold by someone with a decent amount of positive feedback?

Used cards are always... hard to judge. There's no way to check to see what kind of abuse the card received.

I got my card used after Newegg ran out of them when I had to send my original one back because it was faulty.

So far, after about 2 months of use it's been perfectly fine. Not only that, but I even over clocked it and it's been perfectly fine. The seller I got it form seemed honest but I was still worried. It worked out fine for me but I probably get lucky.

You always run a risk but if the seller has decent feedback, then it might not be that bad. Try to get one from a seller who'll let you return it so that you can test the card out to make sure it runs fine.

Ended up winning a new X850 Pro for almost exactly $150 including shipping with a 30 day warrenty (a little short but if it works when it arrives it will probably work for the next 20 years). Now I just have to figure out how to flash and overclock it up to X850 XT speeds... :)

bread's done
Back