Aiptek A-HD 720p Camcorder (SD card format) bundle for $99 after rebate at CC

chair_home

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
Anyone in the market for a very cheap HD camcorder and doesn't mind it being a bit on the cheap (quality) side, check it out. Its available on the site, but I did in-store pick-up without a problem.

$129.99 with a $30 mail in rebate. But wait, there's more! If you look at the bundle information, it says that it auto-adds a Memorex 5pk of mini-dvds (which is kinda useless since the camera doesn't use them) and you have to add item "SSN 8802" (use the search and add it to your cart), a Samsung tripod and bag. I had trouble getting the mini-dvds to show up, but once everything is in there, it will automatically apply the discounts and you will end up paying the same $129.99 final price.

Notes about the camera:
- This is great for the price, in my opinion. I can't afford to get one of the higher end HD camcorders at the moment, so this should be fine, and for the price, I can't complain about too much.
- Yes, it doesn't really compare at all to any of the high-end HD camcorders, but it is still pretty good quality in 720p High Definition
- It records in ".MOV" quicktime format, using H.264 codec which is what most of the HD trailers on Apple's site use.
- Uses SD cards for storage, which is kind of lame. Need a 4GB card for 2 hours of HD recording.
- Battery life sadly comes in at a little less than an hour, closer to 40 minutes, I've heard.
- Can take still photos as well, pretty high quality (3M, 5M or 8M formats)
- has different options for white-balance

If you do some research, there is a guy who has a bunch of information on the camera, including some "ghetto mods" and firmware upgrades. You have to go through some hassle to get the latest firmware (since its not final yet, I guess), but it is supposed to increase the digital zoom and improve the quality of the Mic, which are probably the biggest complaints I've heard about this camera.

I picked this up yesterday, and it seems to work pretty well. Granted, I just turned it on and took a few pics and messed with some of the features without putting an SD card in, but I'm pretty satisfied, especially with the price. I can probably pick up a decent SD card and extra battery for cheap, but the final price would still be sub $200.

[quote name='puternerd']Thanks OP, I've been thinking about one of these. I think I'll pick one up now.[/QUOTE]

No prob. Just make sure if you're going to try to get it in-store that you get the bundle as well. The rebate form has to be done through CircuitCity.com (if you need help on this, let me know).

I heard to get the latest firmware, you have to ask Aiptek's customer service for it, so I'm trying to do that now...

yeah, its decent hd camcorder. It's on top of the tripod, attach to my enter-tech karaoke machine. It's great party tool...

Don't update the firmware. If your cam has v. 1.6 the sound an performance is better than the newer buggy 2.02 firmware. 1.6 also gives you 4x digital zoom as stated on the package. Fishymods has a bunch of info on Youtube so check out his vids if you have any questions.

I always wondered about this company, I never tried it though because I tried a shitty camera that was cheap and it really was... "you get what you paid for".

The thing that sucks about this (or any CMOS) camera is the "wavy" effect you get with motion - including slow pans.

Lock it down on a tripod if you want to get anything nice-looking out of it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I always wondered about this company, I never tried it though because I tried a shitty camera that was cheap and it really was... "you get what you paid for".[/QUOTE]

this is the same line. The camera is good but they fail at one thing. they use a plastic lense instead of an optical lense so you cant zoom at all. Just think of the zoom has 1.25x. i would rather pay the extra 50 and get the Samsung mini DV recorder or...just a get a digi cam that has video recording on it. Aiptek is a waste of money..i bought the HD-Cam on black friday and returned it for a Casio Exlim which is by far superior to that junk....and on top of that..the packaging looks like it came from the dollar store. CAGS...stay away from this camera to save your self the giant dissappointment.

edit: you might as well get a flip video or the sony Mpeg recorder which is also on sale at CC.

Why would you complain about a cam and then recommend 2 additional cams that have exactly the same flaws that you just mentioned plus some of thier own? I'm guessing you didn't know that those other cams have plastic "lenses" and digital only zooms.

Obviously the point of buying the Aiptek is to get into HD video for $100. The cheapest entry level HD camcorders are both Aiptek. Then for about $350 you can get an Xacti HD from and unreputable buyer and the prices only go up from there...

If you want HD on the cheap it's the only way to go.

[quote name='integralsmatic']...they use a plastic lense instead of an optical lense so you cant zoom at all...

edit: you might as well get a flip video or the sony Mpeg recorder which is also on sale at CC.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back