AKIRA blu-ray deals?

The only place I can think of other than Amazon is Borders Bookstore with their 50% off...although I realize not all Borders are doing the 50% off sale.

I got mine there for $24.99, which is not bad considering I got the more rare 1st edition printing w/ the black slip-on cover and 32 page booklet :)

[quote name='SakBee']I got the more rare 1st edition printing w/ the black slip-on cover and 32 page booklet :)[/quote]
;p srsly? there's not a 'more rare' print, they're all the same

they dont make the one with the black slip cover with the 32 page booklet. I saw them going on ebay for over $60 so far. So SakBee is right.

ye i traveled 100 miles to get that Akira Blu-Ray at the furthest BB from me for $17.99..and im damn proud of it cuz it is indeed one of the best lookin AND sounding blu-rays i own

I don't really see the point of cancelling the 1st print within weeks of its release, but I guess hardcore Akira fans must really want it. When I bought mine, the standard blue cased Akira was next to it with the same price, so I said what the hell, I might as well buy the one with all the extras, lol

Best buy online shows that 2 of the ones in my area have it. I'm not sure if it is the first print or not however they do use the art for the first print as the picture. Looked on eBay to see what they were going for and someone is trying to sell one for 499.99. Don't really see what is so great about it. I have this on DVD and would like to pick it up on BD but can't see in paying so much when I have it on DVD already.

People are stupid. That is the explanation. Do you REALLY care about a booklet (a very technical booklet mostly about audio) and slipcase so much that you're willing to spend double or more retail? It's not like the first printing has extra features or a t-shirt or anything at all useful over the regular release. And yes it's worth the retail price on blu ray. You should get the blu ray even if you have the old tin dvd edition (but keep that one because most of the extras weren't ported over) but not for much more than $30.

I think I'd be happy without any bookcase, slipcover, or shirt. Just give me a cheaper disc without unnecessary extras.

I wasn't happy with the weak Japanese audio on the DVD release.

[quote name='ronin47']I think I'd be happy without any bookcase, slipcover, or shirt. Just give me a cheaper disc without unnecessary extras.

I wasn't happy with the weak Japanese audio on the DVD release.[/quote]

That would be another option but even the regular edition without the slipcover is the same price. The Japanese audio on the BR version is pretty amazing.

Does the bluray have the original English dub, or the one that came out later?

/no discussions on OH I LIKE SUBTITLES please

[quote name='enterwhy']People are stupid. That is the explanation. Do you REALLY care about a booklet (a very technical booklet mostly about audio) and slipcase so much that you're willing to spend double or more retail? It's not like the first printing has extra features or a t-shirt or anything at all useful over the regular release. And yes it's worth the retail price on blu ray. You should get the blu ray even if you have the old tin dvd edition (but keep that one because most of the extras weren't ported over) but not for much more than $30.[/quote]

I admit I'm a sucker for "first print limited edition" items, which is why I bought AKIRA early to get these items. On the flip side, the Japanese version comes with the Japanese booklet and slipcase with every version, not just first print.

[quote name='enterwhy']The Streamline dub? No that's not on here. This only has the Pioneer dub.[/QUOTE]

If anyone wants the Streamline dub, I can send you a copy if you cover blank DVD & shipping costs. I copied my VHS copy to DVD a few months ago.

hmmm... I just checked FYE.com and Akira bluray w/ the booklet and slipcase is on sale for $42.99. It's not much of a deal but it says it's still in stock as of right now. I figured some people can buy it from there instead of paying $60+ on ebay.

[quote name='SakBee']hmmm... I just checked FYE.com and Akira bluray w/ the booklet and slipcase is on sale for $42.99. It's not much of a deal but it says it's still in stock as of right now. I figured some people can buy it from there instead of paying $60+ on ebay.[/quote]

BEWARE! I got my FYE order sans booklet and slipcover :cry:

bread's done
Back