Alan Moore's Watchmen Getting Big Screen Debut

Well, I got my wish, although I can't seem to find the "what book would you want to see as a movie thread" anymore.

Now we'll see if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

And now I'm kinda glad I got one of those free 300 tickets from Best Buy.

The Watchmen = best comic book ever. Watchmen the movie = worst film idea ever. This will not end well.

Terr Gilliam is probably the only director who could do this right:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] In interviews while Munchausen was being released, Gilliam was seen to wear the famous blood-stained smiley badge familiar to fans of graphic novel Watchmen. Says Gilliam, "What happened was, Watchmen came along. Joel Silver came along and convinced me there was this 'go' project, and they had a huge budget and all that stuff, and I like Watchmen a lot; I think it's really good. And so I got caught up in that thing, and I was actually terrified of it because it was going to be one more monstrous project. But we went along with it; it was weird, because I was sort of propelled forward because it was subject matter I liked a lot, and I knew I could do it, I recognised that I was about the only person who could do it well, and then I didn't get the money. So I was 'saved' from that one."

Gilliam worked with Charles McKeown on this movie, adapting the script created by Sam Hamm, but producer Joel Silver failed to raise the finance to make this picture. "However, I was contacted by the new owner of the rights in January [1996], wanting to know if I was still interested. I think it's going to be impossible to make as a film, unless you make it three and a half hours long, which most people aren't going to want", said Gilliam.
[/FONT]

[quote name='peteloaf']The Watchmen = best comic book ever. Watchmen the movie = worst film idea ever. This will not end well.

Terr Gilliam is probably the only director who could do this right:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] In interviews while Munchausen was being released, Gilliam was seen to wear the famous blood-stained smiley badge familiar to fans of graphic novel Watchmen. Says Gilliam, "What happened was, Watchmen came along. Joel Silver came along and convinced me there was this 'go' project, and they had a huge budget and all that stuff, and I like Watchmen a lot; I think it's really good. And so I got caught up in that thing, and I was actually terrified of it because it was going to be one more monstrous project. But we went along with it; it was weird, because I was sort of propelled forward because it was subject matter I liked a lot, and I knew I could do it, I recognised that I was about the only person who could do it well, and then I didn't get the money. So I was 'saved' from that one."

Gilliam worked with Charles McKeown on this movie, adapting the script created by Sam Hamm, but producer Joel Silver failed to raise the finance to make this picture. "However, I was contacted by the new owner of the rights in January [1996], wanting to know if I was still interested. I think it's going to be impossible to make as a film, unless you make it three and a half hours long, which most people aren't going to want", said Gilliam.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Gilliam was the first name I thought of when people first started kicking around a Watchmen film around.

That'd be a dream.

Watchmen should be done by Terry Gilliam and be made into a miniseries shown on HBO. Truth is, we'll probably never see Watchmen on the big or small screen, but hey maybe our kids or their kids will!

The problem with Watchmen (and I am a HUGE fan) is that it has a multi-layer narritive reflecting itself and jumping between many time periods. No way in hell would a 2 hr mainstream Hollywood release keep any of the complexity of the story (because the "typical" movie goer just likes explosions and tits). They have to make it accessible for the mainstream, so expect it to be watered down and edited worse than a Cartoon Network airing of Fritz the Cat.

Now, an HBO miniseries is a perfect idea; that way the story can be weaved in a similiar manner without rushing the pacing for a theatric release. The more I think about it, that is the only way I can see Watchmen done in a, well, watchable fashion.

I hate to sound like a "hater" - but I would rather not see this movie made. (Which they haven't been able to make anyway, after 15 odd years of trying.)

Let's face it, Watchmen is, at its core, NOT about superheroes; it's about conspiracy, paranoia, fear and impotence (amongst other things, but I've gone on too long as it is) where the characters just happen to wear long underwear. Anyone old enough to remember the mid-80's can also really appreciate the themes of the time period it hails from. Dollars to donuts, it will just turn into a movie about a hero gone rogue, even though he has good intentions. IF we are lucky, they may play up the whodunit aspect.

Okay, I'll stop my ranting now...

It's hard to call it Alan Moore's Watchmen when he's completely against it being made into a movie. LXG the sequel!

I love the Watchmen novel but a movie? ehhhhhhhh. It could be good but I don't think any director could pull it off. It might be hard to match the fell and intensity of some of the panels through film imo. I would be really really mad if it sucked.

bread's done
Back