Alan Wake's American Nightmare (XBLA) - Available Now - 1200msp ($15)

For those of us that have followed the saga of Alan Wake for a very long time, the PC version of the first game will hit Steam in two weeks. Amazing. The circle is now complete lol.

I'm just as excited for new Old Gods tracks as I am for the game. Only a couple weeks away! I hope they do gear on the avatar marketplace, in addition to the awards.

I really loved Alan Wake and will buy this the day it is released.
I'm sure it will be worth it and I want to send a message to the Dev's that I love their games and to keep putting shit out.

Also, this will probably be the first game I have bought this year!

[quote name='grrouchie']I really loved Alan Wake and will buy this the day it is released.
I'm sure it will be worth it and I want to send a message to the Dev's that I love their games and to keep putting shit out.

Also, this will probably be the first game I have bought this year![/QUOTE]

It should be my first game this year also.

Also, cleaned up the OP after learning how to do custom spoilers.

The first review is out! It's from IGN.
For people who are avoiding spoilers, which I very much respect. Allow me to summarize what they say. They give it an 8.0, they says that the combat is very good but the story does not compare at all to the original. He says it is still a great game, even though it does not match up to the original.

I am still looking forward to any bit of Alan Wake.

[quote name='Dark Rider']The first review is out! It's from IGN.
For people who are avoiding spoilers, which I very much respect. Allow me to summarize what they say. They give it an 8.0, they says that the combat is very good but the story does not compare at all to the original. He says it is still a great game, even though it does not match up to the original.

I am still looking forward to any bit of Alan Wake.[/QUOTE]
did he mention the length

[quote name='Rodimus']Honestly, I couldn't make much sense of the first ones story. It lost me at the end.[/QUOTE]
werd something about darkness and his g/f missing that's what I got from it

[quote name='GUNNM']did he mention the length

werd something about darkness and his g/f missing that's what I got from it[/QUOTE]

He said it would take about 4-5 hours to finish, not including "Fight Till Dawn" mode.

4 to 5 hours is very respectable for the story mode, considering the length of the first game. Not bad for $15, especially when you consider the Fight til Dawn mode.

Wow. That IGN review described the story as sub-par. That kills some of my excitement, but definitely picking this up on Wednesday, even if I don't get to play until Friday.

[quote name='Necrozilla']How long are reviews saying the main story is? Not the horde mode thing.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like it's nearly as long as the first game, with a story that's not as good.

[quote name='Necrozilla']How long are reviews saying the main story is? Not the horde mode thing.[/QUOTE]

After reading close to 4 of them, I've heard as low as 5 hours to as high as 10 hours. Pretty good considering it's $15 and the first one was $60 and about the same length.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']The reviews have been very consistent. It's getting solid 8 to 8.5's just about everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow everyone! Who's excited? I will be picking it up as soon as I can, and will post my spoiler free impressions.

Just a note, this thread can be used for spoilers, but you will be expected to use the spoiler tags.

Edit: BTW, on the first page I guessed the game would be called "Alan Wake: Nightmare". I deserve points for being so close.

Can't wait to buy this tomorrow and sit on it for a few months without playing! I still need to get to the DLC for the main game and I have owned those for over a year. :(

[quote name='Yanksfan']Can't wait to buy this tomorrow and sit on it for a few months without playing! I still need to get to the DLC for the main game and I have owned those for over a year. :([/QUOTE]

Yes you should, the DLC is very good. From what I understand, the game is a continuation of "The Writer" DLC.

I'm trying so hard to immerse myself back into the story. I remember being so into it when the first one ended too. Hopefully this game will refresh my memory on some things. Has anyone found a good story recap? I tried the wiki page, it did well for the main story, but not the DLC's, and I don't have time to replay AW1 and play AW:AN in time for the release of Mass Effect 3.

Should now be available for download (through Xbox.com at least). Can't wait to give this a play. I thought I'd have enough time to go through Alan Wake on PC one more time, and I'm almost done... but I guess I'll miss it by just a hair.

Oh well.

[quote name='krashhole']Speaking of the DLC for the first. Which was better? The Writer or The Signal?[/QUOTE]

I thought the Signal was better, but if you love AW, then both are required.

I have AN downloading now. Can't wait to play tonight!!

I'm really liking this so far. Can't wait to get further in the game.

bhk, that's totally up to you. This is more of a stand alone version. However, if you do play the first you will have a general idea of what the story is about.

Have you had a chance to delve into Fight Till Dawn yet, Krash? That's what I plan on jumping straight into for the avatar award.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Have you had a chance to delve into Fight Till Dawn yet, Krash? That's what I plan on jumping straight into for the avatar award.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I have tried a couple times but I keep dying lol. The shotgun is a pain because of the slow reloading, yet you are able to take out a couple spirits at a time. The Uzi is not bad, just goes through a lot of ammo. I did best using the 9mm though. Fight Till Dawn is a lot of fun and I look forward to playing more of it.

Also in Fight Till Dawn, there is stuff laying everywhere. Ammo, flash bangs, flares, etc etc. Really helps you out providing you can stay alive long enough :lol:

Have to say, after playing for about and hour and a half, I am really enjoying this game. It seems very solid combat wise, and it answers a lot of questions I had in the first game. My only beef with it so far (And it's small) is that I liked Alan narrating everything. Not that I think now is bad, I just liked the other better. I though it gave a sense of lonesomeness.

[quote name='krashhole']Yeah, I have tried a couple times but I keep dying lol. The shotgun is a pain because of the slow reloading, yet you are able to take out a couple spirits at a time. The Uzi is not bad, just goes through a lot of ammo. I did best using the 9mm though. Fight Till Dawn is a lot of fun and I look forward to playing more of it.

Also in Fight Till Dawn, there is stuff laying everywhere. Ammo, flash bangs, flares, etc etc. Really helps you out providing you can stay alive long enough :lol:[/QUOTE]
Did they take out the ability to tap X to reload faster?

Thanks man. I had a chance to play a map a few moments ago and you were spot on. It's pretty difficult but I managed to survive my first time out. Those old AW skills are starting to come back, heh. I forgot how much I love slo-mo dodging Taken. I can already tell this game is going to make the wait for AW2 that much more torturous.

[quote name='GUNNM']Did they take out the ability to tap X to reload faster?[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think about that. Will have to try next time I play.

Will be downloading when I pick up some points, but probably won't get around to playing until Friday. Pretty stoked, however.

[quote name='krashhole']Can you be anymore specific?[/QUOTE]

dont want to get into spoilers but the story just seems to be very mediocre. im only in act 2 so maybe things get better.

I loved the first game because of the story but so far i am very bummed out about the lack of it so far.

also the lack of regenerating health is somewhat annoying since the first game used that well IMO

Alright, I have beaten the game. (3 Hours according to Raptr) I am going to tread closely along the line of spoilers so I recommend finishing the game before reading.

First, I thought the combat was way better then the original. Different guns, strategies, and enemies makes for a much more interesting game.
Second is the gameplay/story. The game is so repetitive. You literally play the same game three times. The story and dialogue is obviously what kept me going, and you won't face disappointment till the end.
I could not believe the bi-polar ending. Where they basically say that this may be how it ends, maybe, or maybe it's in the future. I am not sure what the point of the last cut scene, I would have been happy with another "cliff" ending like in Alan Wake Real. Unless this is how it ends?

Anyway. /end rant.

I still loved the game, and was pleasantly surprised by "Fight till dawn" mode.

Picked this up at 6am today before I went to work. Was more than happy to pay $15 for it not knowing anything more than it was Alan Wake!!

Love this series and the only thing that I can possibly see being maybe a little disappointed in would be that it is too short...as it is DLC after all.

Cant wait to start playing here in a few minutes! :D

Literally just started the story mode after two star-ing everything but the last two FTD maps. The mode truly is difficult, but not impossible. Map and weapon knowledge is certainly key to reaching 100,000 and above. Anyway I'm pretty content with my purchase thus far. I'm really glad they went the Night Springs route with the narrator.

bread's done
Back