Aliens: Infestation (DS) $19.99 + FS @ NewEgg

I got this used at GS for 16.xx, had a lot of hope, but the combat is rough, the controls are not really that smooth and it got boring fast. The first 30 minutes you basically kill robots and human troops with some aliens here and there. I returned mine and would recommend passing.

Got this for $19.99 at Fry's last month. Also saw it at this price at BB last night. It's a fun game especially if you like "Metroidvania" type games. The Aliens license on it is just icing on the cake.

[quote name='AwRy108']I've heard this is extremely short; I mean, like 2-3 hours. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I beat it in ~4-5 hours, over the course of a few nights. Once you know the layout, you can cut a substantial amount of time off of that in replays since you don't need to explore to find the hidden stuff anymore.

Excellent game, great atmosphere & sound, fantastic 2d art and animation.

I have no idea what Gameboy280 is talking about, or what he expected of the game. The controls were smooth and responsive, & the combat is perfectly suited for the environment you play in. It is NOT a guns-a-blazing Contra/Gunstar Heroes kind of affair, but a Metroid-vania style game. Only thing I can think of is that sometimes the Aliens will dash past/knock you down before you can get a bead on them, but that can be compensated by just being cautious or spamming the roll move.

Was worth it @ $30 when I bought it at launch, I say it's more than worth it @ $20. Also, Wayforward produces nothing but pure gold, I have yet to play a bad game by them. They used a fair amount of elements from William Gibson's 'Alien3' script, which if you're a fan of the franchise, you know how awesome that is. Word is, the current-gen Aliens;Colonial Marines game that's also coming out uses a lot of elements from that as well, so "Infestation" might be considered the 'abridged' version of that game.

[quote name='DesertLeo']I've come THIS close several times to buying this, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger...[/QUOTE]
I'd honestly wait for it to drop to $15. It's pretty good so far, but I've got to agree with gameboy280 in that the combat and controls are a little rough.

Thanks for the advice on it jedideath
s

Great game. $20 is a real bargain.

Spent a lot more than 5-6 hours on it--maybe 12-18? Depends on whether or not you want to explore every last nook and cranny.

Its a typical WayForward game--a post-modern 2D platformer--if the idea of a 21st Century SNES game doesn't appeal to you, then don't play it. Tight visual design and gameplay. Only 1 level of difficulty (I wish it had more). Minimal extras. No more repetitive than any other game--a lot more variety than WayForward's Thor game--which is still a lot of fun by itself. Really enjoyed trying to discover what came next. The first level can be a little challenging to get thru, but about half-way thru the game after you have upgraded the shotgun things get much more tolerable--found it a little easy towards the end. If it had difficulty levels, I would definitely play through again. The art is really outstanding, from one of the early Aliens comic book illustrators at Dark Horse Comics. Keep an eye out for the Charlton Heston homage.

I've played a lot of Wayforward games and their idea of typical 2D platformer is something that barely stands out against modern... eugh... indie works much less the old SNES days.

Of course, that's not to say I've played Aliens yet

[quote name='DesertLeo']I've come THIS close several times to buying this, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger...[/QUOTE]

I second that. Maybe if it was $5 cheaper, I'll bite. I do love WayForward...

bread's done
Back