Aliens vs Predator- Game and Demo released

I like the controls and look of the demo, but general deathmatch is not for me. I perfer team deathmatch, or other co-op/competetive modes. I doubt I will play much more of the demo, but it was a nice taste of what to expect in just under two weeks.

This game is just pure fun. It's a little crazy a times but once we get to play species deathmatch I think it will be fine. The horde mode, infestation (1 alien to start then more come after killing marines vs all marines) and the other 1 predator vs all marines mode will be great.

I wish they put in Team Deathmatch instead. It seems kinda weird for the Marines to be going after each other when there's big clawed motherfuckers and scary ass crawling aliens coming for them as well.

Whoever said this game is dark was right...they need to tweak the settings because even all the way up it's not as bright as it ought to be. The flashlight in-game does absolutely nothing either.

And here I was thinking Modern Warfare 2 was dark at times -- it's got nothing on this game!!

Yeah, this game is ridiculously dark. I just tried it on the PS3 version and shiiiiiit, I can't see a thing.

At least the tv I use to play my 360 on is brighter.

Is anyone else having to wait a long time to find a match? I've been waiting about 10 minutes every time.

If you wait a long time, try backing out then rejoining. It may take a few tries.

The lobby system (if that's what you want to call it) just looks pathetic.

I played as an alien and when I kept going upside down I was confused/dizzy as hell.

I gotta say, I'm let down by this game. The auto aim puts MW2 to shame. The kills are not satisfying at all, all you do is press X and you grab and rip their guts out.

[quote name='ammowasted']I gotta say, I'm let down by this game. The auto aim puts MW2 to shame. The kills are not satisfying at all, all you do is press X and you grab and rip their guts out.[/QUOTE]

yeah.. that, or two slash attacks and it's all over it seems. boring.

Mashing X meets Block, then X masher meets Melee and Assault Rifle. The end.

I think the game has been done an injustice by making it Deathmatch. I guess that they wanted to show the 'horror' aspect of the game in the demo, but I think the teamwork aspect is greater and more interesting. I went with 2 friends into a server and we made a group consisting of one Marine, one Alien, and one Predator...solid team. We were just messing around for when we can buy the full version and play the other modes.

I am actually pretty disappointed in the demo. I think they missed a good opportunity to make a truly unique game mode. After getting over my inner geek of just loving playing as a Alien or Predator I notice a pretty bland experience.

Along with Mastastic I think death match is doing more harm than good with this game. You can easily replace, Predator, Alien, Marine with Rouge, Monster, Human. Other than the darkness nothing about the demo is unique to the A v P universe in any way. Also, its really not fun playing as a marine.

Bah...I got caught up in the hype of there finally being another good AvP game and this is what I get.

[quote name='tcrash247']Well, the game is supposed to be dark, very dark. Ever see Alien/Aliens? [/QUOTE]

Gee thanks for the insightful post. Of course I've seen those movies. I'm a massive fan and I've seen both about a hundred times over.

I could see easily more details in the shadows of those movies than this game. It's so dark it's almost unplayable on my TV, which has an high brightness/contrast ratio, so I've never encountered anything like the dark level of this game.

If that's supposed to be one of the game's attributes, this one is going to be a disaster.

You guys do know that there is a survival mode for Marines; There's infestation which is one alien vs a certain number of marines. Once the alien kills the marines they become aliens. There's also team deathmatch.

Also if there was no auto aim being a Marine would be impossible, but I do agree the game could kick the brightness up a notch

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too dark. It sucks playing as a marine. Pretty un-fun demo, but I'll reserve judgment until the full game comes out.

After playing for 3 hours last night, I really enjoy it. Playing as the Predator sucks ass, they really need to start with some kind of projectile. I don't find this too dark at all, it really adds to the mood. As a marine you're supposed to feel like you're alone in the dark. I was doing the best as the marine, the aliens couldn't even get close to me unless they snuck up from behind and I could always tell when a Predator was closing in. The aliens are pretty fun too, I can't wait to try Species TDM when the full game comes out!

[quote name='slickkill77']You guys do know that there is a survival mode for Marines; There's infestation which is one alien vs a certain number of marines. Once the alien kills the marines they become aliens. There's also team deathmatch.

Also if there was no auto aim being a Marine would be impossible, but I do agree the game could kick the brightness up a notch[/QUOTE]

I know that but all of those seem extremely gimmicky.

I dont know, I was looking for some solid gameplay unique to the A v P world. Survival mode is almost a crutch now a days since it seems to be "the thing," people put in games.

And I know how strange that sounds because AvP should be the first game you think of when you think Survival mode. But there needs to be something different going on in order for me to buy into it. Wave after wave of Aliens isnt going to do it for me.

Infestation mode sounds alright but has been done before. They seem to be focusing too much on Marin Vs and not enough on Alien vs Predator vs Marine.

EDIT: The other thing that killed this game was the size of the characters. Predators are around 8-9 feet tall but when you see them in the game they simply look like invisible marines. They dont look frightening like they are suppose to be. Same with the Aliens (which I am most disappointed in) they dont strike fear into you like they are suppose to. I am 100% more scared of a Hunter in L4D than I am an alien in this game. When you see them they just look like wiggling black shadows.

Whatever makes AVP cool...this game sorely lacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished playing a couple of matches and I agree wholeheartedly that the learning curve for playing as a Marine is borderline infuriating. I had no issues navigating throughout the dark environment and identifying threats quickly (even if the radar system in this game is complete trash)... but defending myself from attack or killing them quickly? A completely different story. More often than not if I wasn't gangbanged picking up a weapon I was screwed out of well earned kills after pumping a ridiculous amount of ammo into people for hours before they closed the gap. Lack of hard aim is making matters worse for me. Not to mention firing a weapon is so damn loud in those corridors you would have easily saved time sending everyone messages of your whereabouts. You're almost guaranteed to die a split second afterward because everyone knows exactly where the f*ck you are at a moments notice. And no, the shoddy distance you might cover sprinting will not save your ass.

I don't even want to get started on the bullshit stagger you have to deal with after being melee attacked. I lost count of how many times I couldn't move nor shoot while at the mercy of the alien or pred beating the living shit out of me. I've tried meleeing back AND shooting them but more often than not if you don't kill them faster than they can melee back you're screwed. Aliens truly are a pain in the ass to deal with though I can't wait to tear into TDM or objective based game play on a decent team where we start camping like bitches with huge guns.

Once I get a handle on the available weaponry and map layout I'm sure my opinion of the Marine will change. Despite their limitations there has to be one hell of an annoying big ass gun, grenade launcher, or cheap ass tactic to abuse on that map and I plan to find it before I give this demo a rest.

I don't think the humans are as helpless as everyone makes them out to be, considering they are the only ones with any real effective ranged weaponry (The Predator's shoulder cannon takes too long to lock on and is worthless in tight corridors, and the throwing blade can be seen coming from a mile away) As an Alien or Predator I was constantly getting torn up by pulse rifles left and right due to the high clip capacity of it. Not to mention the shotgun's alt fire wipes out anything close in one blast, and the Smart Gun does all the aiming work for you and picks up most far off targets in the dark. The flame thrower and sniper rifle were crap though. In TDM I can see a pair of humans watching each others back being very, very hard to take down.

I think the demo was somewhat unimpressive, but I'm not going to dismiss the game yet and wait until some reviews pop up to decide whether to pick it up or not. I just think the demo that was released was the worst possible way to represent what the multiplayer is capable of. Its a dumb idea to only showcase individual deathmatches, in a very generic, confined, and uninspired map no less. Kind of undermines the whole species vs. species premise and strategy when every creature is out there for themselves stabbing each other in the back, literally. Hell, half the time I died was due to being killed by the same species. Throws the whole rock, paper, scissors balance of the three species off. Anyway, the multiplayer reminded me a bit of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and I'd love to have an experience like that on the 360.

...Weird. I've yet to one shot anything other than another marine with the shotgun's alternate fire unless the target wasn't at full health to begin with (even at close range). Now that I know how to block it's only a matter of paying attention to your surroundings and radar at all times to avoid a cheap death. Still not a fan of the one hit kill system though and a lot of times I'm not fast enough to react out of a block to avoid a fatal blow from the side/behind. I'm a fan of the sniper though as I had a much easier time racking up kills while scoped than running and gunning with anything other than the shotty.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Just finished playing a couple of matches and I agree wholeheartedly that the learning curve for playing as a Marine is borderline infuriating. I had no issues navigating throughout the dark environment and identifying threats quickly (even if the radar system in this game is complete trash)... but defending myself from attack or killing them quickly? A completely different story. More often than not if I wasn't gangbanged picking up a weapon I was screwed out of well earned kills after pumping a ridiculous amount of ammo into people for hours before they closed the gap. Lack of hard aim is making matters worse for me. Not to mention firing a weapon is so damn loud in those corridors you would have easily saved time sending everyone messages of your whereabouts. You're almost guaranteed to die a split second afterward because everyone knows exactly where the f*ck you are at a moments notice. And no, the shoddy distance you might cover sprinting will not save your ass.

I don't even want to get started on the bullshit stagger you have to deal with after being melee attacked. I lost count of how many times I couldn't move nor shoot while at the mercy of the alien or pred beating the living shit out of me. I've tried meleeing back AND shooting them but more often than not if you don't kill them faster than they can melee back you're screwed. Aliens truly are a pain in the ass to deal with though I can't wait to tear into TDM or objective based game play on a decent team where we start camping like bitches with huge guns.

Once I get a handle on the available weaponry and map layout I'm sure my opinion of the Marine will change. Despite their limitations there has to be one hell of an annoying big ass gun, grenade launcher, or cheap ass tactic to abuse on that map and I plan to find it before I give this demo a rest.[/QUOTE]

Radar system is from the movie aliens. If you haven't seen it watch it and you'll understand. There is a bigass gun too. The shoulder/hip mounted gun that two marines used in the movies is in the game. Its in a corner on one of the highest points on the map

Well the demo is fucking trash. I used to be an avid player of AvP2 on the PC, and this feels nothing like it.

The matchmaking is pretty bad; the fact that it's normal to wait 3-5 minutes to get a match is complete shit.

I didn't get to play as anyone but the Predator so far, due to the long ass wait times and random disconnects during the match-finding, but it really doesn't capture anything that made the older games great. Playing on a controller feels clunky, and things like switching vision modes take too long and/or are too inefficient to be as effective as they're supposed to be. The fact that the Predator starts off with nothing but their talons is stupid, and that jump mechanic doesn't seem to be very useful.

It was basically a game of "see who can press X first" between the Aliens and the Predators; the marines were fucked either way, unless they were lucky enough to shoot someone during the Grab animation.

They should of given Marines flares like they get in sp

The marine weapons that I have found so far- Pulse Rifle, shotgun, pistol, flamethrower, pulse rifle gernade, sniper rifle, shoulder mounted machine gun

Demo is terrible. With the success of Left 4 dead there's definitely a market for a small team vs small team. Honestly a Left 4 dead style game with marines trying to complete a mission with aliens trying to stop them and a Wildcard predator who is just after kills would have probably been awesome if done right.

Predator in this game is nuts. First time playing one and i went 17 kill streak 0 deaths.

Playing as a marine is a joke most of the time. The aliens stunning you after one attack needs fixed/changed some.

Aliens are nice, No real problems with them other than most people play as one so unless your a predator the game boils down to aliens vs aliens most of the time.

Demo should have been TEAM DM.

The reason I do like playing as a marine is because this is one of the rare times that you actually feel vulnerable. I believe this will make team deathmatch, survival and infestation great fun with groups of people that you know.

[quote name='slickkill77']The reason I do like playing as a marine is because this is one of the rare times that you actually feel vulnerable. I believe this will make team deathmatch, survival and infestation great fun with groups of people that you know.[/QUOTE]

Yea i agree team deathmatch will make this game really fun. It sucks alot of people are getting put off by the DM demo.

A team of marines actually working together would be awesome.

I'll explain my experience with the demo without any interjections of my opinion.

>download demo
>spend 25 minutes looking at a translucent penis monster in the "joining for game" screen.
>Get to playing as a human.
>The level looks strangely reminiscent of shit on a log (I lied! opinion)
> I see a big monster running at me so I unload 2 clips into him.
>He turns invisible, gets behind me and shoves his Freddy Krueger claw into my abdomen.
> Then I re-spawn and I hear a noise, then wham, I get molested by an Alien.
> Then I turn off my light in effort to not give away my position, but then I here frantic beeping from my gigameter turned alien finder. And then of course, I die again.
> Turned off 360, threw controller at cat, went to mommy and cried in her arms.

DOESN'T THAT SOUND LIKE FUN KIDS?

Yeah the marines definitely need better detection abilities. I played as the aliens for a few matches and finally got the transitions down but half the time I run past my enemy. Does anyone know what the focus button does for Aliens?

Hold the focus button down and if you're near an enemy, they will have a green aura thing around them. Press RB and you'll do a quick leaping attack at them.

As for marines, I think they're fine the way they are. You just gotta play smart as them. You're not a hunter like an alien or predator, so you gotta play more conservative. If you see blips coming at you according to your motion tracker but you cant see them, just back into a corner and have your gun ready. People think they're weak but it's because the FFA game mode doesnt really suit the marine, but playing team deathmatch and having a team that works together and sticks together makes them pretty deadly.

As much as I want to cancel my pre order for this on the PC I think I will keep it. I don't see why they put a deathmatch in this game at all. In the movies you never see the aliens, predators or marine killing each other so why would they do it in the game. I hate to say it I had more kills as a marine and that was only 5. I started out with 1 or 2 as a predator and was going after my 2nd or 3rd at the start of the game and the host quit. So I'm going to take it that I was about to kill the host. All games seem to only alow 2 predators and I some how was able to play as one in my last game till the host quit. I'm guessing they were the alien I was about to kill. I really hop the PC version has dedicated servers and isnt p2p. Having the host quit is going to get old.

Game informer gives this game 5.7.

I am pretty sure most all of the reviews for this game are going to be crap.

Lol, the demo was laughable. I first played the demo as a marine and I almost ragequited because I was getting back stabbed left and right. But after that match and I became an Alien, it became a bit fun, because I was able to bully the marines around. The game is not something I would buy though.

I think that the Marines would play better if the Alien detection sensor was more like the Heartbeat sensor from Modern Warfare 2.

This game reminds me of a free pc game called tremulous, which has a ton of more features, better graphics, and solid gameplay.

That doesn't mean it is bad. It's fun. But not worth $60. Maybe good at $10 at most, then it would be a great game.

Man I was really looking forward to this game until I played this demo. It reeks of "meh". Fortunately I'm wanting it for the singleplayer so this isn't a complete turn off, will just have to wait and see the final game.

We still have Aliens: Colonial Marines, which looks very promising, esp being from gearbox coming sometime this year if AvP is a complete failure.

bread's done
Back