All-Pro Football 2008 2K is back to football - Full Customization Confirmed

neudog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
281 (100%)
I figure I'd start a thread for this upcoming title because I'm a huge 2K sports fan, especially football. I'm so glad I'm not just left with Madden this year. I enjoy Madden and am looking forward to VY on the cover, but if you've played one Madden you pretty much have played them all with slight improvements every year. Here is the direct link for All-Pro Football 2008: http://www.2ksports.com/games/football2k8/ I can't wait to score with Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. Then on defense you got the greats like Dick Butkas, Derek Thomas and Ronnie Lott. The Hall of Fame lineup is outstanding. Welcome back 2K you've been missed:D

Edit//

I figured I'd include RawisJericho's PS3 link for this game:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136301

After reading the piece in Game Informer, I'm pretty dissapointed with this one. They had a tremendous chance to shake up the industry, and by leaving out some key options, are missing.

[quote name='Sarang01']It's on EA, you're about to be schooled.[/QUOTE]
Possibly, but they'll still make their money. neudog, you're not worried about the curse? As an Eagles fan, I believe.

[quote name='BIG5']Possibly, but they'll still make their money. neudog, you're not worried about the curse? As an Eagles fan, I believe.[/QUOTE]

At least it'll make EA look bad gameplaywise when they rate the latest Madden as a steaming pile of shit compared to the 2K Football.

oh shit. Joe montana, jerry rice, tom rathman, bubba paris, ken norton jr., and dwight clark! Never really liked NFL 2K games but I'm definitely going to give this game a shot. But I dont know how fun it will be playing as all star teams all of the time.

Yes, EA is about to be schooled. Because certainly, the licensed, ESPN branded, $20-selling NFL 2K5 really kicked Madden's ass, and this unlicensed, generic looking, probably-full-priced game is gonna really cut into Madden's marketshare.

It's one thing to hate EA, it's another to be outright stupid. And anyone who thinks this All Pro Football game is gonna affect Madden's numbers, in any way, is stupid. I probably won't play either game, but I'm just speaking as someone who knows how to read sales charts.

Actually, after checking out the roster, I might give this game a try. I can't wait to get a call from Carmen Electra, asking if I wanna play! But in all seriousness, the roster looks better than I thought. I was thinking there would only be a handful of huge name legends, but I'm pleased to see guys like Herman Moore and Chuck Foreman in the game. And will Christian Okoye be as IMPOSSIBLE to tackle in this game as he was in Super Tecmo Bowl?

I'll tell you one thing...if this game comes out at $59.99, it won't sell worth donkey nuts.

I'm a huge fan of the 2k series, but they need to step it up a notch if they are going to charge full pop for a completely unlicensed title.

[quote name='JDMxB']I'll tell you one thing...if this game comes out at $59.99, it won't sell worth donkey nuts.

I'm a huge fan of the 2k series, but they need to step it up a notch if they are going to charge full pop for a completely unlicensed title.[/quote]That's the other problem. If it ships for $29.99 or something around that, people will think of it as an inferior, bargain bin-type product, and having no license doesn't help at all. They better plaster as many big time faces and names on that box as possible.

No franchise and no player/team customization is a kick in the nuts. But 2K games always play a mean game of football. Hopefully, that's enough to overcome the goofy, giant, animatronic rhino in the stadium. :lol:

Scroll over the highlighted/white bold faced names and you see the player's faces. Pretty good. Dan Marino is probably the most realistic.

[quote name='BIG5']Possibly, but they'll still make their money. neudog, you're not worried about the curse? As an Eagles fan, I believe.[/QUOTE]

Since the announcement of the cover athlete it has been in the back of my mind, but I have a feeling VY will break the curse.

I realize that not having certain features will affect this game, but we need other games besides Madden. That shit is way to repetetive and the NFL IMHO made the dumbest move with giving the rights to one company. When 2K had the rights in 05 and 06 I enjoyed their titles 100 times more than Madden. I enjoy Madden in small amounts, but just like Gran Turismo, simulation gets boring and frustrating. 2K brings fun gameplay into their franchises. Hopefully this will launch with a $39.99 price tag for this next gen and we all know it will be $20 on current gen because past 2K7 games were at this price point. I was happy when Blitz the League hit the market and I'm ecstatic about 2K's new football title.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, EA is about to be schooled. Because certainly, the licensed, ESPN branded, $20-selling NFL 2K5 really kicked Madden's ass, and this unlicensed, generic looking, probably-full-priced game is gonna really cut into Madden's marketshare.[/quote] Actually, NFL 2k5 did very well against Madden, take a very significant chunk out of EA's market share.
The result of this was EA gobbling up the exclusive NFL license.

However, why they chose to release this version at $60 is pretty mind-boggling.

I thought the played faces looked a bit "odd" on that website. Also, it says there will be over 240 players....so that means there is about 10 teams. Also, will players NOT tire? It basically seems like an arcadey game of football. We'll see how the gameplay is when it is released, but $60 is just laughable.

[quote name='CheapyD']
However, why they chose to release this version at $60 is pretty mind-boggling.[/quote]
They probably need to make up for paying all of these HOFers to appear in the game.

The only way this will be good is if they make it possible to easily add your own players, teams and graphics. That way some clever modders could turn it into a current day NFL game. I loved the 2k football games on the dreamcast, and they still hold up well today when compared to Madden 2k7. If the engine is solid, and these are moddable then this should sell a decent amount.

I've been suffering with the Madden series, and I actually started to find myself becoming more adept a it...but my love for the 2k series has been tried and true since the ye old Dreamcast days. In fact I popped the discs in a few weeks back and had my DC whirring again.

[quote name='futhamucka']The only way this will be good is if they make it possible to easily add your own players, teams and graphics. That way some clever modders could turn it into a current day NFL game. I loved the 2k football games on the dreamcast, and they still hold up well today when compared to Madden 2k7. If the engine is solid, and these are moddable then this should sell a decent amount.[/QUOTE]

They already said in previous news that you won't be able to customize teams and such.

At $60, this game is gonna bomb. It'll sell marginally better at lower prices but without an NFL license it isn't going to do very much.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']They already said in previous news that you won't be able to customize teams and such.

At $60, this game is gonna bomb. It'll sell marginally better at lower prices but without an NFL license it isn't going to do very much.[/QUOTE]

The GI made it seem that while teams will be custumizable, there won't be the ability to accurately make NFL teams and Players.

[quote name='CheapyD']Actually, NFL 2k5 did very well against Madden, take a very significant chunk out of EA's market share.

However, why they chose to release this version at $60 is pretty mind-boggling.[/QUOTE]

Really! There is not why this game should be priced at $60, I have always found is hard to justify a full priced sport game every year. However, this have not stopped me from buying them year after year when I was younger.

I think what made NFL 2k5 so strong in terms of sales was the $19.99 price tag. I think the 2k games have always had stronger sports games since there first release on the Dreamcast. I remember they were the reason I jumped in the next-gen era of gaming back with the Dreamcast. I begged my mom for it and she finally gave in, it was an amazing day.

I'll be in for this, but not until a price drop. It'll be nice to play a good football game again.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, EA is about to be schooled. Because certainly, the licensed, ESPN branded, $20-selling NFL 2K5 really kicked Madden's ass, and this unlicensed, generic looking, probably-full-priced game is gonna really cut into Madden's marketshare.[/QUOTE]

NFL2k5 is the reason EA got scared and spent all that money to get the NFL exclusivity. Where have you been?

It's one thing to support EA, it's another thing to be downright stupid.

I can't wait for more information and screenshots. I have wanted a 360 for nba 2k7 and now this would push me to buy one.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'll be in for this, but not until a price drop. It'll be nice to play a good football game again.

NFL2k5 is the reason EA got scared and spent all that money to get the NFL exclusivity. Where have you been?

It's one thing to support EA, it's another thing to be downright stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 2k5 had EA worried but Madden '05 still outsold it by quite a healthy margin.

[quote name='mik']No franchise and no player/team customization is a kick in the nuts.[/quote]

That's my biggest disappointment as well because you know someone would have taken the time to recreate each NFL team. :cry:

I'll give it a rental, just to satisfy my curiosity. If the gameplay is top notch and the online league options are plentiful, I might buy it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah 2k5 had EA worried but Madden '05 still outsold it by quite a healthy margin.[/QUOTE]
Healthy, perhaps, but it was still enough of a hit that EA got worried about 2-3 years down the road. Imagine had there been a 2K6 or 2K7, up to the release on next-gen consoles. It's likely 2K would have continued to whittle away at EA's lead. It's not like you can sleigh the giant in one year. Madden has really dropped the ball since jumping to next-gen, and now more than ever we need a worthy competitor.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'll be in for this, but not until a price drop. It'll be nice to play a good football game again.

It's one thing to support EA, it's another thing to be downright stupid.[/quote]If I recall, the NFL was the ones who offered up their license as an exclusive, and made it open to any bidder. It's not as if EA went to the NFL, said "We'll give you all this money", and the NFL took it. 2K/Take Two could have bought it as well.

It's going to be a good game IMO. Its supposed to be fully customizable.
Only thing I dislike is the $60 price point. But I could always sell my copy of Madden 07 to knock of some of its price.

[quote name='Graystone']It's going to be a good game IMO. Its supposed to be fully customizable.
Only thing I dislike is the $60 price point. But I could always sell my copy of Madden 07 to knock of some of its price.[/quote]How much is a year old Madden game gonna be worth 3 months from now, anyways?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']If I recall, the NFL was the ones who offered up their license as an exclusive, and made it open to any bidder. It's not as if EA went to the NFL, said "We'll give you all this money", and the NFL took it. 2K/Take Two could have bought it as well.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah 2k5 had EA worried but Madden '05 still outsold it by quite a healthy margin.[/quote]
On the PS2, Madden indeed outsold NFL 2k5, but not by the usual Madden-competitor margin. However, on the XBOX, NFL 2k5 actually outsold Madden...we were just discussing this over at VGtalk (DVDTalk) and a member dug up the numbers...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7617412&postcount=42

[quote name='VGTalk']PS2 2004 sales figures:
Madden NFL 2005 (PS2) - 3.2 million
ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2) - 1.5 million

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137806

Xbox 2004 sales:
ESPN NFL 2K5 - 1.1 million
Madden NFL 2005 - 1.08 million

http://vision.pcvsconsole.com/?article=13
[/quote]

[quote name='Ronin317']On the PS2, Madden indeed outsold NFL 2k5, but not by the usual Madden-competitor margin. However, on the XBOX, NFL 2k5 actually outsold Madden...we were just discussing this over at VGtalk (DVDTalk) and a member dug up the numbers...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7617412&postcount=42[/QUOTE]
But this was in part, or maybe mostly, due to the fact that Madden was not yet online for XBOX Live, correct? Or was that the tear before?

This many posts and no one's mentioned the fact that OJ Simpson's a playable character in this game?

Granted, we don't have confirmation yet, but his name's in the logo banner, two rows below Walter Peyton.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, EA is about to be schooled. Because certainly, the licensed, ESPN branded, $20-selling NFL 2K5 really kicked Madden's ass, and this unlicensed, generic looking, probably-full-priced game is gonna really cut into Madden's marketshare.[/QUOTE]

I know you're not stupid and you know that this game will look good graphically and make Madden look like shit on the other hand. I don't doubt it one bit.

The only way this will sell is if it has customization. I know 2k already said it won't but there is no way people are going to buy this for just old time players. I could care less if I am John Elway if I'm not in the broncos uniform. I believe you can make a good game without the NFL license if you give the gamer the ability to create his own little world. How much fun would it be to create a team filled with all of your friends. They could get the vision camera involved so you can take pictures of your friends and put them on the players. I still think the best baseball game ever made was baseball stars on NES. It didn't have the MLB license but it did have great gameplay and the ability to create teams and players.

I read the GI article, good read. Makes you hate what EA and the NFL has done with football games. But this game doesnt sound like it will be to good with not having normal NFL teams and such. The game system sounds better more accurate.

[quote name='CheapyD']Actually, NFL 2k5 did very well against Madden, take a very significant chunk out of EA's market share.

However, why they chose to release this version at $60 is pretty mind-boggling.[/QUOTE]

I thought i read that the NFL was the party that initiated the whole "exclusive license" talks, and so EA made sure they got it. If that is the case(which i believe it is), then EA didnt grab the license because 2k hurt sales, but because otherwise they would lose their biggest franchise game.

As for All Pro, while the concept is nice, the teams make all the difference. If i can play with Steve Young, but not on the 49ers, then theres no point in it for me.

[quote name='BigHow']This many posts and no one's mentioned the fact that OJ Simpson's a playable character in this game?[/QUOTE]
This game is missing one big thing.

FATALITIES.

I would love it if everything in the game was customizable, but I can live without that. One thing I absolutely can not live without is a Franchise mode. 2k what are you thinking? I was really looking forward to this game because I just don't like Madden. But the more I hear about All-Pro the more dissapointed I become. Looks like it is still a sad time to be a football video game fan.

I think the lack of NFL license, etc will really hurt this game. Most football gamers will see it as a complementary game to Madden than a replacement. At $60, most people will buy one or the other. At first, I scoffed at the lack of features like franchise but as I've had some time to think about it, I realized that during most of my franchises I simmed most of the games anyway especially in Madden. As I've thought about my 2k days I realized that I played more games than I do with Madden so while I'll miss the franchise mode, I'll enjoy playing a game of football more. I'm also extremely intrigued about the lack of attribute ratings and building a team to take on all comers. I like the idea of my fast team going head to head with a power team. I think 2k is trying a lot of stuff out here to see what works and what doesn't and how to tweak it appropriately.

As for the larger picture. The decision by 2k to not allow you to customize it to re-create the NFL and to not allow excessive celebrations, injuries, etc. is extremely smart. The exclusivity deal expires in December 2009 and most long-term contract renewals begin about 2 years before the expiration of the deal just months after both products hit the market. The NFL would react negatively to 2k if 2k allows their consumers to mimic the NFL without the NFL receiving compensation. If 2k included celebrations, wild injuries, boats in Minnesota, Las Vegas stripclubs, etc. the NFL would not consider negotiating with 2k as 2k would be allowing what the No Fun League is attempting to outlaw. 2k chose to re-enter the football market "for the fans" and I believe that to be partially true. But why has it been 3 years? I think 2k is attempting to put out a truly superior product to show the NFL what their games could be just as renegotiations with EA begin. They're using the Hall of Fame players as a lure just as they used the 19.99 price point. I doubt EA will lose license as most exclusive deals rarely change.

At the time, it was reported that EA had been lobbying for a deal for a while but it was the NFL that was a willing partner in this. Even if the deal had gone the other way, Madden would have sold more copies than 2k for a while as Madden has huge recognition and I'm sure that made the NFL's decision a lot easier. I doubt anything short of EA truly stumbling will cause the exclusivity agreement to end based on the NFL's renewal with DirecTV and satellite radio. If the deal fails to materialize, maybe 2k will put out downloadable new players every year instead of a new game.

Here's to hoping 2k strategy works and we see NFL 2k in 2009 or 2010. Most of all I'm happy 2k football is back.

[quote name='wwjasond']I doubt anything short of EA truly stumbling will cause the exclusivity agreement to end based on the NFL's renewal with DirecTV and satellite radio. If the deal fails to materialize, maybe 2k will put out downloadable new players every year instead of a new game. [/QUOTE]
Well, EA did pay a ton for the NFL license. There are those who think they spent so much that it hasn't proven worth it to them. That, in truth, it might make more financial sense for EA to return to the old arrangement, instead. EA bought the rights as a desperation move to keep them out of 2K's hands exclusively, but if they were guaranteed long-term both companies would have rights to them, then I could see them letting the deal slip, and 2K simply doesn't have the money to buy the rights exclusively, at least not for what EA paid.

bread's done
Back