All-Pro Football 2K8

I think the 60 dollar price tag is what truly makes me hesitant to buy this game, 39, or 49 would have made me bite on the game. oh well.. time to be patient.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Anybody pick this up and is interested in some online play, or even possibly a league?[/quote]
I'd love to.
I've played about 2 dozen online game so far.......I'd say about 2/3 were clean players, the others, not so.
Surprising, you'd assume "cheesers" would go with the Madden franchise.

What's your screename? I'm behz9, hit me up if you ever see me.
This game is my favorite ps3 game, by far.
You will not be disappointed with its purchase, trust me.

[quote name='thehoo']I'd love to.
I've played about 2 dozen online game so far.......I'd say about 2/3 were clean players, the others, not so.
Surprising, you'd assume "cheesers" would go with the Madden franchise.

What's your screename? I'm behz9, hit me up if you ever see me.
This game is my favorite ps3 game, by far.
You will not be disappointed with its purchase, trust me.[/quote]
Sure, my PSN name's under my avatar. Feel free to add me while I get acquainted to the game and pick out a good team.

Okay, since I don't have a manual, as I rented it from Gamefly, I'm asking for clarifications on a few things I'm confused about:

-I see motion control in the menus, what exactly is it used for here?

-I can adjust my DB's positions with the right stick, but not LB's. Am I missing something or is that just how it is?

-Is there still no way to change the RB's run direction before the snap?

-Oh yeah, is there a way to rotate the camera before the snap so I can see all of my receivers and their routes?

Are there significant differences between this and the 360 version? Another poster said PS3 runs at 30fps and the 60fps, but I thought the discrepancy was only the case with NCAA and possibly Madden.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Are there significant differences between this and the 360 version? Another poster said PS3 runs at 30fps and the 60fps, but I thought the discrepancy was only the case with NCAA and possibly Madden.[/quote]
That's the main difference for all of the football games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's the main difference for all of the football games.[/QUOTE]

No, Madden will run at 60fps on both supposedly.

I thought I read AP2K8 was 30fps on PS3, 60 on 360. I could be wrong?!

Well since I don't have a 360 I picked up NCAA 08 for the PS3. I've been debating about getting either 2K8 or Madden. I haven't bought an NFL game since 2K5 for the PS2 since that was the best IMHO. Madden is the same every year with a few minor tweaks. I like the idea of the legends in 2K8 but I also like playing seasons as my boys DA BEARS.

[quote name='doubledown']No, Madden will run at 60fps on both supposedly.

I thought I read AP2K8 was 30fps on PS3, 60 on 360. I could be wrong?![/quote]
Wrong, it was confirmed as fake by EA themselves on the latest Sports Anomaly podcast.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wrong, it was confirmed as fake by EA themselves on the latest Sports Anomaly podcast.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my mistake....well, that confirms I will wait for 360 version of all.

How does AP2K8 play on the Ps3 though? I may pick it up when it hits $30 or so.....depends which one drops faster, Ps3 or 360.

[quote name='doubledown']Sorry, my mistake....well, that confirms I will wait for 360 version of all.

How does AP2K8 play on the Ps3 though? I may pick it up when it hits $30 or so.....depends which one drops faster, Ps3 or 360.[/quote]
It plays pretty much just like 2K5 with maybe a few small tweaks, so if you're a fan of 2K5, you'll probably enjoy 2K8. The framerate's smooth enough, so it's not a huge deal in terms of playability.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Okay, since I don't have a manual, as I rented it from Gamefly, I'm asking for clarifications on a few things I'm confused about:

-I see motion control in the menus, what exactly is it used for here?

-I can adjust my DB's positions with the right stick, but not LB's. Am I missing something or is that just how it is?

-Is there still no way to change the RB's run direction before the snap?

-Oh yeah, is there a way to rotate the camera before the snap so I can see all of my receivers and their routes?[/quote]
To answer your first three.....I have no clue.
The last one? Yeah, it's L1 or R1...I forget.

Seriously, if you're able to get over the lack of license, this games is light years ahead of Madden. It's not even close.

[quote name='thehoo']To answer your first three.....I have no clue.
The last one? Yeah, it's L1 or R1...I forget.

Seriously, if you're able to get over the lack of license, this games is light years ahead of Madden. It's not even close.[/quote]L1 and R1 just shows routes/names. I'm looking for rotation so I can see what's going on near the sidelines.

As for the second part, I cannot agree with that at all. It's just lacking in so much, but that doesn't really ruin the fun. I can only say it's good, just not great.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']L1 and R1 just shows routes/names. I'm looking for rotation so I can see what's going on near the sidelines.

As for the second part, I cannot agree with that at all. It's just lacking in so much, but that doesn't really ruin the fun. I can only say it's good, just not great.[/quote]
Try the R3 or L3 button. You must have a standard 4X3 TV if that's a problem, right?

This game doesn't have franchise mode.....sorry, you can't control the hot dog prices. But, if you're looking fora football game to play, and are looking for the best football game, this is the game, no questions asked.
Consider 2k the WE series and EA, well EA in their publishing of Fifa.

[quote name='thehoo']Try the R3 or L3 button. You must have a standard 4X3 TV if that's a problem, right?

This game doesn't have franchise mode.....sorry, you can't control the hot dog prices. But, if you're looking fora football game to play, and are looking for the best football game, this is the game, no questions asked.
Consider 2k the WE series and EA, well EA in their publishing of Fifa.[/quote]
:lol: I'm not paying for a football game that has the same singleplayer modes as football games from 10 years ago. Quit trying to act like this shallow football game is the best game ever.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:lol: I'm not paying for a football game that has the same singleplayer modes as football games from 10 years ago. Quit trying to act like this shallow football game is the best game ever.[/quote]
Name a better football game. 2k5?
Madden is crap. You can control hot dog prices, but the gameplay is horrendous. It's a joke compared to the game 2k continually makes. Shame that the majority associate Madden with football games and don't even give others the chance, as they do with FIFA soccer.

[quote name='thehoo']Name a better football game. 2k5?
Madden is crap. You can control hot dog prices, but the gameplay is horrendous. It's a joke compared to the game 2k continually makes. Shame that the majority associate Madden with football games and don't even give others the chance, as they do with FIFA soccer.[/quote]
Of course 2K5 is better than this, it was a third of the price with twice the content. :lol: The flaws in 2K5 that are still around in 2K8 are hard to ignore for the $60 price tag.

Madden has had better controls (the ease of the pre-snap playmaker controls make me cringe when I see that my running back is about to run into a wall of defenders in the 2K games), though I do admit the passing in 2K8 is better than the last Madden game I played (05), but that's too be expected three years later. Madden's players look more like their real counterparts, but at least 2K8 has fat players now instead of seeing a skinny Jerome Bettis rushing for yards in 2K5. The features were pretty much equal, with maybe the online leagues pushing the 2K games ahead of Madden, but that advantage is back in EA's camp now that they have much more to do when you're not online.

With that said, 2K8's a good game, still fun to be had, but it's clearly the first installment of a series with a big potential. If they can meet that potential, great, but right now, this game is only leaving me wanting more.

Well, I was going to pick this up for the PS3, but bought the 360 version instead. Why do they insist on still making games that only do 720p when they know there are a lot of TV's out there that cant do 720p. If MS can make every game 1080, there is no reason that the PS3 can't do all 1080 either. I refuse to buy a game that will play in 480 on my 480/1080 HDTV........

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) was, and still is, the best football game ever made. I really hope 2k sports gets the NFL license back though, Madden gameplay just sucks so bad.

I rented this game the other day, and is it just me, or does it play like crap? I mean, I LOVE the concept. The gameplay is just awful to me. It feels buggy. I don't know.. maybe I am used to madden? I did love 2k5 though.

[quote name='kingsoby1']Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) was, and still is, the best football game ever made. I really hope 2k sports gets the NFL license back though, Madden gameplay just sucks so bad.[/QUOTE]

Wow, so everyone has played Madden 08....amazing. Supposedly they stepped it up this year, we'll see. I enjoy Madden, and I will buy it again (for my 360....if it ever comes back).

darlyfoot.... love the avatar.

For the record Tecmo Superbowl is greatest football game of all time hands down. I have been wanting a quality update of it for years (yes, I know they made it for the PS1 but that game was rancid! The SNES sequels were cool) especially on a portable system. That would be a great game for on the go.

Well Sensible World of Soccer while a Soccer game, follows more closely in the footsteps of Tecmo Bowl in that it's a simple game, play skill has more to do with it. Jump in a play kind of game.

The next company that makes a high end football game of tha type will make a lot of money if done well.

[quote name='Chitown021']Just to clarify... all of the EA football titles this year will only run 30fps on the PS3, same with All Pro 2K8?[/quote]
It's the same with all three football games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Of course 2K5 is better than this, it was a third of the price with twice the content. :lol: The flaws in 2K5 that are still around in 2K8 are hard to ignore for the $60 price tag.

Madden has had better controls (the ease of the pre-snap playmaker controls make me cringe when I see that my running back is about to run into a wall of defenders in the 2K games), though I do admit the passing in 2K8 is better than the last Madden game I played (05), but that's too be expected three years later. Madden's players look more like their real counterparts, but at least 2K8 has fat players now instead of seeing a skinny Jerome Bettis rushing for yards in 2K5. The features were pretty much equal, with maybe the online leagues pushing the 2K games ahead of Madden, but that advantage is back in EA's camp now that they have much more to do when you're not online.

With that said, 2K8's a good game, still fun to be had, but it's clearly the first installment of a series with a big potential. If they can meet that potential, great, but right now, this game is only leaving me wanting more.[/quote]
Madden's players look real? Are you serious? Do your research, buddy.
The gamplay is the most important factor, as well as graphics and physics, and APF blows Madden out the water, case closed.

I just picked this up today and I've got to say it's impressive. The only other "next gen" football I've played is Madden 06 on the 360, so this is a nice step up in terms of smooth play. It's just right... like the 2K series used to be.. Do I miss the teams, logos, and NFL license? No, not in the least. These new stadiums are really neat... and I have to say, the animation is smooth even at 30fps. I don't think people will notice the difference... There's enough fun in the game to keep it from getting frustrating. It's just enough of a challenge for casual players like myself... and I'm sure at the higher difficulty levels it poses a challenge to more skilled football sim'ers.

I hope it sells respectably enough that there's a 2K9. :)

[quote name='thehoo']Madden's players look real? Are you serious? Do your research, buddy.
The gamplay is the most important factor, as well as graphics and physics, and APF blows Madden out the water, case closed.[/quote]
I never said that they look real, just that they look closer to the real players than the skinny players that the 2K series has always had.

It's all about opinions, but you're treating it like these are facts. There's no use discussing this because you'll just keep spouting your fanboy facts.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I never said that they look real, just that they look closer to the real players than the skinny players that the 2K series has always had.

It's all about opinions, but you're treating it like these are facts. There's no use discussing this because you'll just keep spouting your fanboy facts.[/quote] It's pretty much universally accepted that 2k>>>>>>>>ea in gameplay and graphics.
Madden's always overplumped players, and 2k, in my opinion and nearly anyone's if they look at the comparisons, does a much better job in accurately portraying the players.

[quote name='thehoo']It's pretty much universally accepted that 2k>>>>>>>>ea in gameplay and graphics.
Madden's always overplumped players, and 2k, in my opinion and nearly anyone's if they look at the comparisons, does a much better job in accurately portraying the players.[/quote]
:rofl: This is too much fun.

Have fun with Barry Sanders doing the Dirty Bird.

Heck at this point I'd almost rather just break out my copy of 2K5 and update the rosters. When does EA's contract expire with the NFL? I really hope they don't renew their monopoly on NFL licensed games.

[quote name='Chitown021']Heck at this point I'd almost rather just break out my copy of 2K5 and update the rosters. When does EA's contract expire with the NFL? I really hope they don't renew their monopoly on NFL licensed games.[/quote]
I believe in 2010, so nfl2k11?
If I were still able to play 2k5 online.....I'd be playing that. Awesome game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:rofl: This is too much fun.

Have fun with Barry Sanders doing the Dirty Bird.[/quote] Exactly. :roll:

[quote name='[email protected]']Well, I was going to pick this up for the PS3, but bought the 360 version instead. Why do they insist on still making games that only do 720p when they know there are a lot of TV's out there that cant do 720p. If MS can make every game 1080, there is no reason that the PS3 can't do all 1080 either. I refuse to buy a game that will play in 480 on my 480/1080 HDTV........[/quote]Oh, did someone confirm this doesn't upscale to 1080?

Just because it doesn't say 1080 on the box, doesn't mean it doesn't upscale (VF5, Sonic)
All new games should.

bread's done
Back