All right. Should I wait for a PS4.5/PS4K, or...?

Ceol_CAG

CAGiversary!
Howdy, CAGers.

My best bud's got a birthday coming up, so I've been shopping around for a PS4 as a gift. With all this hubbub around a possible upgrade coming around, though, I'm wondering if I should hold off in case there's something about the new system that's just too awesome to pass up, or in case there's a significant price drop on the current model (probably not, I know, but what if, guys).

The second or so iteration of every console always seems to be the best way to go. My friend would definitely enjoy a PS4 now, so it wouldn't be a waste, but I don't wanna get 'em something that's gonna be considered out of date in just a year, either.

What do?

Well considering the PS4K isn't technically something that exists, I'd say go for it now. The PS4 will obviously receive a new model, but we don't know what the new model will exactly entail and I can tell you that I highly doubt we will see games in 4K, but 4K Blu-Ray and the ability to stream Netflix in 4K seems likely and the fact that 4K Blu Ray Players run around $400, I'd easily buy a $500 PS4 upgrade instead of just a player. Sony isn't going alienate the millions of PS4 owners already out there. 

Well considering the PS4K isn't technically something that exists, I'd say go for it now. The PS4 will obviously receive a new model, but we don't know what the new model will exactly entail and I can tell you that I highly doubt we will see games in 4K, but 4K Blu-Ray and the ability to stream Netflix in 4K seems likely and the fact that 4K Blu Ray Players run around $400, I'd easily buy a $500 PS4 upgrade instead of just a player. Sony isn't going alienate the millions of PS4 owners already out there.
All good points, Sigma, thank ya kindly.

It doesn't actually exist, you're right. You're spot on about 4K Blu-ray and video but not games, or, at least, that's my gut feeling, too. There isn't enough real info on what a new model could or would be, so I guess I just fear (like everybody does) getting the timing wrong.

Rumors about "the next thing" are gonna fly around all the time, but, man, like, what if it's backwards compatible, or warrants "PS4 Slim Exclusives" or something? That would suck.

It's too hard to make a call right now on how much better the PS4K will be for gaming. It'll do 4K video, that's about the only thing anyone can say with any confidence. I've been considering if I should upgrade too and might, if gaming performance is better. I doubt Sony would do BC or even allow for PS4K only versions of games. If anything, we might see better framerates and/or more consistent performance on the PS4K vs the regular version. 

There's also potential hardware quality questions. These aren't the same internal components as the current PS4 so there's no way to know for sure if there will be early hardware issues. 

I'd say if you can wait till e3 you should. Granted that is a few months away. Cause I imagine if they are going to announce something they would do it then. Or they might announce a price drop or more bundles.

My guess on the ps4k or whatever it is called. It will just be a ps4 with the vr add on box inside it. And will release with the vr headset with a bundle that includes it. Probably new design with newer/cheaper internals for cost cutting. Since the apu in it hasn't received a die reduction.

its not going to be called Ps4.5 or PS4K its going to be called PS5 that does 4K its not like they called the new system after the super slim PS3 PS3D Because it did 3D

bread's done
Back