All these broken Xbox 360's

I'm getting a bit nervous about getting one after reading all these posts about what is going wrong with their 360's from disc read errors to freezing and what ever else.

I'm about to plop 80 bucks for a hard drive and 40 for NBA 2k7 and I'm wondering if I should back out. How much does it cost to get it repaired by Microsoft? I bought a 100 dollar console from Amazon and I don't think they off warrenties.

What are you talking about? At first there were some issues with 360s, but the current run have had very few issues whatsoever. I have owned mine for quite a few months now and have not had any problem.

Any new 360 has a warrenty from Microsoft for 2 or 3 months at least. And yeah, the last major problem was the fall update bricking some consoles, but that was a software problem, not hardware. Most of the kinks in the 360 have been worked out, which is a lot more than can be said for the other 2.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Well, I was reading some posts and people talked about how their xbox's were freezing, giving disc errors, and chipping their dvds..[/QUOTE]
Chipping their dvds? What the hell are they doing? Shaking it up while it's playing a DVD? I'd not even heard of that one before. To my knowledge only Chromehounds and Dead Rising have any sort of freezing issue, and those are not widespread. DREs happen, but a certain amount of any disc based console system has to deal with that. The 360 is, without question, the best thing on the market. I've had mine since nov 22nd last year and have had no major problems with honestly in excess of 3000 hours of use.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Well, I was reading some posts and people talked about how their xbox's were freezing, giving disc errors, and chipping their dvds..[/QUOTE]

You also need to realize that for every person who posts a problem there's likely hundreds that don't since they've never experienced any issues. People are much more likely to create a thread for a problem than creating a thread because they don't have a problem. Don't let the seemingly large amount of problem threads/posts discourage you.

My brother got his 360 on launch day and has never had any problems at all. I got my 360 in April and haven't encountered any problems either.

Never had any problems with my 360 and I have had it for almost 3 months.

It has only froze once while playing Dead Rising.

Other than that its all good.

If we had people make threads about how good their system was working each day you'd never be able to see a negative thread, at least on the front page of the forum.

Just stay away form the November 2006 system update until MS fixes it, and you'll be fine. Hardware is not faulty at this point. Its the crappy updates Microsoft releases.

I bought a launch unit, and it did crap out on me. Exchanged it 5 months later, without receipt for another, no questions, no hassle. So far, it's been perfect, and I play it A LOT. Definitely don't bail on this system,... MS has delivered only 100% satisfaction since their debut in the h/w field. They are right up there with NoA with customer service, and try as hard as they can to fix any problems that arise.

:)

[quote name='screwkick']Just stay away form the November 2006 system update until MS fixes it, and you'll be fine. Hardware is not faulty at this point. Its the crappy updates Microsoft releases.[/quote]I DL'ed every update and had no problem, why should he stay away from it?

Just go check out Major Nelson.... I think it was a complication with SOME units, but don't remember. Mine worked fine as well,.... now if only currently released XBOX 180 games would COME compatible. I had to break out my old faithful to play MK and Capcom volume 2... WTF :)

[quote name='LiquidNight']I DL'ed every update and had no problem, why should he stay away from it?[/quote]

I DL'd it and had no issue with the update either.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']I'm getting a bit nervous about getting one after reading all these posts about what is going wrong with their 360's from disc read errors to freezing and what ever else.

I'm about to plop 80 bucks for a hard drive and 40 for NBA 2k7 and I'm wondering if I should back out. How much does it cost to get it repaired by Microsoft? I bought a 100 dollar console from Amazon and I don't think they off warrenties.[/QUOTE]

You bought one for $100. You want to spend another $120. That's a 360 for $220. If you buy the extended warranty from MS, thats another $60. So you're getting a full system for under $300 with a warranty. I think that's a pretty fair deal.

But if you're THAT nervous, sell it and make some money.

I hear all 360's explode upon impact and can level entire cities for massive damage.

just so you know, I heard this on the internets so it must be true.

I've had mine since May and it's only frozen on me once. You may want to look into getting an intercooler and do everything else people have mentioned here if you plan on using it for extended periods of time. The problems were mainly with launch units and everything else is either coincidental or possibly even non-existent. (go back and read the thread about the disk chipping)

[quote name='LiquidNight']I DL'ed every update and had no problem, why should he stay away from it?[/quote]

Because some people have had issues and just because you doesn't mean he won't?

LMAO..... an INTERCOOLER LOL

That thing is the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. Read the reviews, then actually check the temps in the case with it. LMAO

I may actually mod some Chill Paks though, they actually work. :)

I never had a problem of any kind until the day I downloaded Dig Dug of all things. My system was nearly a year old, I download that game and it immediately starts acting up and freezing like crazy. Within hours the freezes had turned to red lights of doom. Got it repaired free and it has worked perfectly since.

Maybe the 360 crashes everytime it see's its own price tag. lol. I think cartman's trapper keeper is trying to bring itself back to life. error disk read failure (merging with trapper keeper) I think people should sent there 360's they plan to toss back to microsoft and let them referbish em. Them give me one for free. Tha be da day haha (not funny) Really now I'm very surprised at how many systems actually messed up. I don't think its a good thing though. Hopefully when the price goes down (future of XX year) so will the failure rate.

My 360 broke, two of my friends had launch systems and they broke, and another friend of mine bought one in April that broke after Dead Rising came out.

Even though it broke, I still want to play it. It has some really good games on it.

[quote name='crowbb']I never had a problem of any kind until the day I downloaded Dig Dug of all things. My system was nearly a year old, I download that game and it immediately starts acting up and freezing like crazy. Within hours the freezes had turned to red lights of doom. Got it repaired free and it has worked perfectly since.[/quote]

haha dig dug. at least your system didn't break trying to play a crappy game lol.

What are you worried about? You only spent $100 on the console. It's not like you're going to be out a boatload of money if for some reason the system dies on you. Plus, you do have a limited warranty from Microsoft.

Hooolllyyy crap I'm sick of these threads. ANYTIME you buy a piece of high-technology equipment, you always have some sort of risk that it may break, or not function correctly. No piece of technology is risk-free. Just buy the damn thing. If you really are scared, purchase the extra warranty like most everyone else has JUST IN CASE, because everyone KNOWS there's always a risk.

[quote name='DaveD']My 360 broke, two of my friends had launch systems and they broke, and another friend of mine bought one in April that broke after Dead Rising came out.

Even though it broke, I still want to play it. It has some really good games on it.[/quote]

Is dead rising a system killer?

Out of all the games that I have Dead Rising is the only game that when playing my Xbox has a louder sound & funny things happen.

[quote name='2pac']Is dead rising a system killer?

Out of all the games that I have Dead Rising is the only game that when playing my Xbox has a louder sound & funny things happen.[/quote]

No, it gives me less problems than with GoW for me. But neither actually acts up anymore, only the first week did I really have any DREs.

Though GoW did give a DRE at my friends house when I droped by to play with him today.

Rumor is, as many as 30% of launch systems failed. My system was purchased in March, and failed. And no, not all high tech equipement is as unreliable as launch consoles. A company has to have some really deep pockets to let a design out the door with a failure rate that high. I'm sure MS knew what was going on, but made a strategic decision.

There is no way to know if the bugs have been worked out, so the OP's question is valid. If the OP decides not to get the system, please send me your code, as I would love to use it

:bouncy:

I had bought a 360 last December 19th and it broke 8 days later on the 27th. I took it to a local gamestop because I know the guys there and they gave me a Brand new 360 free through the exchange of my broken one even though I bought it at walmart. Well all was good until Friday 12/08/2006 Almost a year later . After watching Beerfest I turned off the system and went to turn it back on 5 minutes later and low and behold the ring of death. I was like wtf. I have had no problems prior whatsoever. Called Microsoft the next morning and since the system was manufactured before January 01st 2006 I do not have to pay a penny for shipping or repair. They did not ask for any reciept or anything, Just my address and phone number. "Just put the console and nothing else in the box we send and we will have it back to you as soon as it is fixed" I am not sure how long that will be so I bought another 360 yesterday that I will prolly sell because it gets too hot to put in my car. That my friend is Excellent customer service. Even though I have been quite unlucky with my Xbox 360s (not to mention my n64 that I through across my room into a wall but thats a whole other story) I would deffinately say buy a 360 and do not worry about it breaking and if it does you have 90 days through microsoft, not to mention the optional extended warranty you can purchase through them once registering your sytem, They will send the extended warranty letter in the mail close to the date your 90 day warranty is up. I am deffinately buying it for my system once it gets back. Anyways if you want to play the best games available now do yourslf a favor and buy a 360 and stop twiddling your thumbs with a copy of nba 2k7 and no system to play it on.
Laterz

From what I hear, Dead Rising was one of the first games to really tax the 360's hardware, and that is what caused my friends to break.

[quote name='pop311']how do I find out my 360 manufacture #/ date?[/quote]Look on the back of the console, there's a sticker with manufacture date and serial number...

Don't use the Intercooler. MS recommends against it and some are melting to the backs of the consoles. It will void your warranty.

http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nykos-intercooler-causes-problems-for-xbox-360/

http://www.gwn.com/articles/article...oling_Consoles_Down_Or_Heating_Gamers_Up.html

Issue seems to be that this thing causes power drops which makes components fail. Also, faulty design and cheap manufacturing is causing the thing to short the 360. If they only would have made it USB powered, it would be a good product.

[quote name='pop311']console or box?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='grendel19']Look on the back of the console, there's a sticker with manufacture date and serial number...[/QUOTE]

Somebody's got a case of the Wednesdays...:lol:

[quote name='2pac']Why?

Whats so good about Costco?[/quote]
They have an uber long/good warrenty that you get for free...

STOP MAKING/BUMPING THESE THREADS....WHY DONT THE PEOPLE WITH GOOD 360 START MAKING THESE THREADS ALL THE TIME....Stop Bitching

[quote name='slickkill77']They have an uber long/good warrenty that you get for free...

STOP MAKING/BUMPING THESE THREADS....WHY DONT THE PEOPLE WITH GOOD 360 START MAKING THESE THREADS ALL THE TIME....Stop Bitching[/QUOTE]

Too busy playing their 360's to make them?

I have to buy 300+ dollars worth of stuff to actually use it though. I'm selling it anyways, none of the games interest me.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']What are you worried about? You only spent $100 on the console. It's not like you're going to be out a boatload of money if for some reason the system dies on you. Plus, you do have a limited warranty from Microsoft.[/quote]

[quote name='Zoglog']I hear all 360's explode upon impact and can level entire cities for massive damage.

just so you know, I heard this on the internets so it must be true.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am returning my console tommorow.

bread's done
Back