All these Limited Collector's Editions really put a damper on my OCD.

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
As if paying $60 is bad enough, them releasing Collector's Editions for $70 pains me. I want all of my games to look "uniform" on the shelf, and the darn tin cans won't make it match. Not to mention $70 is an obscene amount for games.

What are your thoughts regarding Collector's Editions? We never seen any during the PS1/PS2/Xbox era (well Xbox did have a good few). The Gears of War stuff seems cool as does the Smackdown vs. Raw Limited Editions. But now I'm thinking it might not be worth it.

I have like 50 games that I'm staring at on my shelf as I sit here typing. All though so many are awesome games, as I look at them, I realize, they are just games. I've played them, loved them, and that's it. Ya know how when you first start dating a girl you can't wait to see them and kiss them and touch them but after dating for like 2 years, it's sort of "ehhhhh." Thats what I see when I look at my games.

That's why I'm hesitent about getting Gears of War LE. I want the LE just because GoW looks awesome and so does the artbook, but I'm afraid when it comes down to it, a year from now after I played it to death, it won't be so "fresh and new and exciting" and it would be a waste to have spent that extra $10.

What is everyone's thoughts on CE or LE or SE?

I think although a lot of the extras are cool, the only one that was really worth the price difference is Growlanser Deluxe vs the game only.

Dave

I'm tired of CE's that aren't worth it. A fucking extra book with 'art' from the game shouldn't be the only thing you get in a tin. I want 3-hour long behind the scenes shit.

Agreed.

I passed on the Collector's Edition Prey tin, after about an hour of arguing with myself.

I got the Halo 2 Special Edition in a can with a DVD and other useless crap. Since then, I've never felt the desire to get a Special Limited Collector's Edition of any game.

if it contained content of some sort extra maps or a dashboard theme or something i might get it. I ordered the reg edition.

thats what they should do throw in themes and crap for the dashboard.

The only collector's edition of anything I've ever purchased in my life was the office space special version, simply because that's one of my favorite movies of ALL time. Glad that I'm not tempted to buy anything else :)

off topic for the xbox, but on topic with the collector's crap...My roomate just bought the X3 collector's edition today in the tin case for 23.99. Thought it was two-disk like the others, but when it was opened we found out it was one disk. We took it back and got the "normal" dvd for 13.99 ($10.00 FOR THE TIN CASE!!!!!) crazy that there was no difference whatsosever. oh well.

People buying the $60 SE's on the Xbox are the exact reason why we have $60 games on the 360. They were testing the pricing waters and the gamers bought it, hook, line & sinker.

Thanks guys!

;)

[quote name='paz9x']if it contained content of some sort extra maps or a dashboard theme or something i might get it. I ordered the reg edition.

thats what they should do throw in themes and crap for the dashboard.[/QUOTE]

forget about that they should throw in a faceplate with every CE game

Don't you just love when they release a "collectors edition" of something and then notice later they've got more copies of it new and used than they know what to do with? Ex: Halo 2 CE.. I still see that everywhere. Kind of ruins the point of calling it a CE.. shouldn't something like that be in limited supply?

I think most of them are just a waste.. and I already feel bad dropping $60 on a new game; there's no way I'm paying $70 to get a CE of anything.

Biggest ripped off is Need for Speed Most wanted blacke edition. I mean the extra cars are coded in the regular edition, the just hide it from you.

Doom III had a good CE.

Halo 2's CE got all scratched up on me for some reason, plus with the disks sitting atop each other, the game disk gets all scratched on the bottom (if you have a CE, check it out, you'll see what I'm talking about). I was so fucking pumped for that game, the making of might have been worth $5, but definitely not $10.

The Gears of War Collector's edition looks like one of the better ones, the hardcover book looks fantastic, and there are a couple features on the DVD I'd like to watch... will I end up buying it? Depends on how hyped I am for the game by Emergence Day (or whenever I pre-order it).

Prey, Oblivion, Perfect Dark Zero. They all sucked, pointless waste of money. Plus, if people keep buying them, who knows when they'll just up the price of all the games to $70? If people are willing to pay it, then they'll charge it.

It's only a matter of time before we get "Army Men" CE's. Or whatever the equivalent of that series is today.

I think it's a fine idea for the AAA-level, highly anticipated games....Gears of War, MGS, Halo, etc. But now we're getting a lot of B-level games trying to milk people for that extra 10 bucks (Smackdown vs. Raw and Prey come to mind). Much like "microtransactions," we've already slipped on the slope and begun to fall. Unfortunately, it's a long, long way to the bottom.

Example of a great Collector's Edition: Halo 2. Tin case with slipcover, bonus disc with a sizeable amount of interesting extra content, unique manuals and artwork. Only $5 more than the regular edition.

Example of bad Collector's Edition: Mortal Kombat Deception. Cardboard sleeve, rehashed content you can get elsewhere for free, minimal original extras, very poorly emulated port of a previous game in the series. $10 more than the regular edition.

[quote name='tayaf69']off topic for the xbox, but on topic with the collector's crap...My roomate just bought the X3 collector's edition today in the tin case for 23.99. Thought it was two-disk like the others, but when it was opened we found out it was one disk. We took it back and got the "normal" dvd for 13.99 ($10.00 FOR THE TIN CASE!!!!!) crazy that there was no difference whatsosever. oh well.[/QUOTE]

There is no two-disc edition for that movie. That will be sometime next year. Perhaps if you visited the DVD forum you might have known that.

I pass on most CE's but I do buy them for games I want really bad. Halo 2 I got the CE for and I have the Gears of War CE on preorder. Games like Carbon, Prey, and stuff like that I passed on though.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's only a matter of time before we get "Army Men" CE's. Or whatever the equivalent of that series is today.

I think it's a fine idea for the AAA-level, highly anticipated games....Gears of War, MGS, Halo, etc. But now we're getting a lot of B-level games trying to milk people for that extra 10 bucks (Smackdown vs. Raw and Prey come to mind). Much like "microtransactions," we've already slipped on the slope and begun to fall. Unfortunately, it's a long, long way to the bottom.

Example of a great Collector's Edition: Halo 2. Tin case with slipcover, bonus disc with a sizeable amount of interesting extra content, unique manuals and artwork. Only $5 more than the regular edition.

Example of bad Collector's Edition: Mortal Kombat Deception. Cardboard sleeve, rehashed content you can get elsewhere for free, minimal original extras, very poorly emulated port of a previous game in the series. $10 more than the regular edition.[/QUOTE]

don't forget the "rare" collectible trading card

I agree with the whole "premium" release thing. The only Collector's editions that I've bought are Halo 2 and Resident Evil 4 (GC). These games were seriously worth it for the collector's editions as they are premium, triple A titles. I also picked up the Doom 3 Collector's when it dropped to 20. For shit like Perfect Dark and Prey, I got the regular editions.

Also, for Gears, I just have the regular edition paid off, but I may end up getting the Collector's one. I gotta see more stuff from it first.

Get rid of the collectable trading cards, IMO. Worthless. I'll take a second disc (in a real holder you Bungie bastards) with extra features and the nice metal case for $10. An extra weapon or car (ala NFSMW Black) would seal the deal.

Only CE game I have is Halo 2, and that was a gift. I have never even taken the 2nd disc out of the package; however, the tin case is definitely awesome and I do like the look. I'm glad for the slip cover too, as it makes it look uniform with the rest of my games :) Definitely one of the better CEs.

I preordered Perfect Dark Zero Regular Edition, but all my Gamestop got it was the Deluxe edition. I paid the extra $10 and vowed NEVER to do that again. That was after the Halo 2 fiaso, where on the special edition, the disks were stacked on top of each other, increasing the probability of scrathing tenfold.

Paying $60 for a game is crazy, paying $70 is absofuckinglutly insane.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I preordered Perfect Dark Zero Regular Edition, but all my Gamestop got it was the Deluxe edition. I paid the extra $10 and vowed NEVER to do that again. That was after the Halo 2 fiaso, where on the special edition, the disks were stacked on top of each other, increasing the probability of scrathing tenfold.

Paying $60 for a game is crazy, paying $70 is absofuckinglutly insane.[/quote]
How would the discs get scratched? Aren't they separated by "holders" like any other 2 disc game like Xenosaga II? Or a game with a bonus disc like Jade Empire, Dragon Quest VII with FFXII demo, or Zone of the Enders with MGS demo?

perfect-dark-zero-collectors-edition-20051128015743375_thumb.jpg

For larger image: http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...zero-collectors-edition-20051128015743375.jpg

img_3236795.html

[quote name='icecubedx5']How would the discs get scratched? Aren't they separated by "holders" like any other 2 disc game like Xenosaga II? [/QUOTE]

Nope. It's like the regular DVD case, with the 'button' in the center the DVD pops onto? It's a bit longer, and one pops right on top of the other.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Dang so why is that picture on IGN different?[/QUOTE]

Because he was talking about the Halo 2 LE's stupid case where both discs stack on a single hub, not PDZ LE.

halo2-3.jpg

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']That was after the Halo 2 fiaso, where on the special edition, the disks were stacked on top of each other, increasing the probability of scrathing tenfold.[/QUOTE]

All these Limited Collector's Editions put a damper on my faith in the human race.

they give you a trailer and an uniformative "making of" video. and a metal case if you're lucky.

[quote name='Apossum']All these Limited Collector's Editions put a damper on my faith in the human race.

they give you a trailer and an uniformative "making of" video. and a metal case if you're lucky.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I don't get why any of them are worth the extra $10.

Start giving me extras maps, cars, characters, items, SOMETHING to justify an extra $10, not just a fancy case, a making of video, and an interview... all of that shit will be ripped to Youtube in a day anyways.

The Prey / Oblivion CE's were a step in the right direction.

I tend to shy away from CEs. The last one I bought in good faith was the Oblivion CE. I unfortunately bought the PD:Z because when I picked up my 360 there was no standard editions of the game and I was so tired I figured it was worth the $10 just to get home and set my damn system up. Other than that, the Halo 2 CE because I bit into the hype after that E3, and of course the Gold Cartridge Zeldas.
I have purposely passed on a lot of CEs when given the option.

Did Doom 3 CE come in a special tin or was it a normal Xbox case with a slightly different cover than the regular edition? I think I seen it at TRU but I don't remember now.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Did Doom 3 CE come in a special tin or was it a normal Xbox case with a slightly different cover than the regular edition? I think I seen it at TRU but I don't remember now.[/quote]

Metal case like Halo 2 and Splinter Cell CE

The thing I really don't get is how there are CE versions of Need for Speed, Madden, and Smackdown vs. Raw. We're going to have $70 games before we know it. If people are willing to pay $70 for a "good" but not GREAT (Final Fantasy, MGS, Halo), prices will rise even further.

[quote name='guyver2077']just noticed on ebgames that rainbow six also has a le...jesus christ[/QUOTE]

According to Ubi's store, its going to contain:

The Making of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Go behind the scenes with the development team of Rainbow Six Vegas.

The Faking-of the Making-of
Designing video games isn't all fun and games. Sometimes it's just FUNNY.

Plus bonus features that show Rainbow Six like you've never seen before!

On a side note, and maybe I'm misunderstading the OP, but folks are buying CE/LE without much interest in the game just because they're CE/LEs? I've only picked up CEs that I was either extremely interested in the title (Prey) or were extremely cheap (Marc Ecko). I skipped out on the Smackdown vs Raw one because I am not a major wrestling fan and I'd hate for a true fan to not be able to get it because I demanded the CE version of the game (This is assuming THQ decides to buck the trend and give it an actual limited run).

bread's done
Back