Allergies are kicking my ass

I take Singulair every day, only thing that really helps me. Cheap stuff like claritin and zyrtec don't do shit.

[quote name='JolietJake']I take Singulair every day, only thing that really helps me. Cheap stuff like claritin and zyrtec don't do shit.[/quote]

Is that prescription or over the counter?

I've had bad post nasal drip lately. I take Nasonex every day, and have been using Alavert too and no luck.

I've had bad acid reflux lately too, and think that may be part of it as it can cause throat/drip issues so I started a course of Prilosec today to see if that helps.

[quote name='JolietJake']Prescription, expensive too.[/quote]
Does that stuff make you sleepy?

[quote name='Xevious']Does that stuff make you sleepy?[/quote]
No, most antihistamines don't make me drowsy anyway.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I took Zyrtek for the first time a few weeks ago. It took one dose and everything was completely gone.[/quote]

My Dad and I took Zyrtek. For some reason, it made me really sleepy and fogged my mind. My Dad said it didn't affect him.

I tried it for a week and I quit using it. Today my allergies came rushing back so I guess I may have to go back on the stuff again.

[quote name='JolietJake']Has anyone ever used that mucinex stuff? Thought about trying some when sinuses are all stuffed up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it works well--especially the DM. It's a bit pricey and a pain to get since it has pseudophedrine in it (so it's behind the counter and you have to give them your license etc.). But it works great.

I get sinus infections fairly often and it's what my doctor recommended to take any time I was getting stuffed up with a cold or allergies to help it drain out so it doesn't turn into an infection.

Really just anything with pseudophedrine works well--shame the meth heads made buying it such a pain.

[quote name='Xevious']My Dad and I took Zyrtek. For some reason, it made me really sleepy and fogged my mind. My Dad said it didn't affect him.

I tried it for a week and I quit using it. Today my allergies came rushing back so I guess I may have to go back on the stuff again.[/quote]

I had never taken anything like that before. Ever. Within probably 2 hours of taking it, all of my symptoms were gone. I haven't had to take one since then. I was able to work my full day, etc, without side effects. Funny how it works differently for different people though.

I've already been to an allergist and was told there's nothing they can do for me outside of dangerous, expensive, and painful shot rotations.

Claritin's been diluted until it doesn't do anything now that it's OTC, but it's all I can take. I still sneeze and cough and itch, but at least I don't cry from the pain and get nosebleeds.

I miss the Claritin + pseudoephedrine, but that stuff is so expensive AND it's a pain to get. Walmart had a generic that was absolutely great, then they changed the recipe and it's weak shit now like all the others.

I take generic Zyrtec every day, which works pretty well for me. Claritin does nothing for me, but for some reason Zyrtec gets the job done.

I never had seasonal problems, but I'm allergic to cats and lived with one for about 3 years. Allegra worked pretty well at first, but I eventually was given Advair to take on top of it. It seemed like Advair tamed the cat allergies but when I had a lapse in insurance for 2 months I woke up choking because my throat had closed so much. Scared the shit out of me and I wound up paying full price for a refill the next day at Walmart. I think not having it when I needed it made it worse than what I was used to before (if that makes sense). I'd agree that anything OTC has been watered down the past few years. You could always try going to the doctor and telling them that what you're taking isn't working.. I have a friend with a hereditary asthma problem who's had to try at least half a dozen different medications so far.

As for Mucinex.. I've only ever taken it for the sake of clearing out phlegm since that is what the active ingredient is meant to do more so than anything with allergies.

[quote name='QiG']
As for Mucinex.. I've only ever taken it for the sake of clearing out phlegm since that is what the active ingredient is meant to do more so than anything with allergies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only reason to take it for allergies is if you're really stuffed up to thin out the mucus and get it out of your sinuses before you get a sinus infection. And if you don't have a history of sinus infections then don't worry about it.

If you do, it's great--but you have to get one with psuedofed in it--and not one that's just expectorant/cough suppressent that's for chest congestion.

Also, forgot to mention earlier one of the best things to use is a saline sinus rinse. Gets the allergens rinsed out of your sinuses and makes a huge difference for me when I'm having a bad allergy attack.

I prefer this one of the ones I've tried:

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

You can get the kits at CVS for like 10 bucks.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Allegra D works for me and the shit is costing me $50 for 30 pills >< How much more expensive is Zyrtec?[/quote]

I found some great deals on Zyrtec on Amazon...It depends on how many pills you want though..

Depends on the allergy. If it's a cat allergy, Benadryll allergy seems to be just fine. If it's something more serious, Claritin seems to work just fine for me.

Benadryl usually works for me when I'm sick. If it does not work them I usually have somthing called in and that does it within a few days. However now I'm having issues and nothing seems to work. Started out with Benadryl and it workd then a day or so later it all started back up and I took Sudafed. That worked so I stopped taking it now the shit is back so I started taking that Zyrtec today after somone from work told me they get what I have from time to time and it works great. I'm not so sure.

What I have is just the sinus drainage. It is not to bad other then first thing in the morning. When I way up just around my ear and jaw is killing me like some one took a bat and hit me there when I was a sleep. Seems like it will go away for a day maybe 2 if I'm lucky then come back and be worse then it was before.

Yeah the neti pot works wonders. I live in the South with a ton of pine tree pollen, and I never took one pill this spring because I would use the Neti pot about once a week. I'm not a big ole hippy either but some alt medicine works for sure. I also use a nose spray. Flonase works. It's prescription but it only costs like 4 bucks.

bread's done
Back