Alpha Protocol (PS3) - $16.02 at Amazon

Very mixed reviews. Some people like the dialogue system and writing, but many slam the gameplay and graphics, especially character faces.

Personally, I had a blast with this game. It feels a lot like a PS2 game though. It gave me a fix after jonesing for an action RPG after I'd finish Mass Effect 2.
It's kinda like Alpha Protocol : Mass Effect :: DragonLance : LOTR if that makes any sense. It's the diet cola of the 3rd person RPG shooter game.

This is why I don't pay attention to CAG reviews. Anytime someone says the game is worth it at this price and the price is ~$15 or lower, I know it's a shitty game. Furthermore, they're prone to hyperbole.

A Metacritic rating of 65 and a friend telling me how horrible the game is means I'm passing.

played it through twice and let me offer some insight, the dialogue tree is awesome. If you're playing this through your first time use the recruit path and invest points into CQC - Stealth and Small Arms fire with some point into assault rifles.

when you shoot at people how well you hit is determined via your skills with a certain weapon, there are no headshot one hit kills. rather a successful headshot has a % increase to the damage done.

THIS GAME IS NOT MASS EFFECT! THAT IT THE #1 PROBLEM PEOPLE HAD THEY WHERE EXPECTING MASS EFFECT!

also no alpha protocol thread is complete without.....turn up the radio! learn to love this song cause you'll hear it a lot in the game depending how much trouble you have with a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvg8756yK10

Last edited by a moderator:
Game was entertaining and the dialogues and such are quite good as mentioned before, but the combat is just comically broken. If you put points into stealth you can be outright invisible to enemies for long periods of time, and you can literally walk straight up to them (as they stare at where you are) and strangle them while the guard standing 5 feet behind them (also staring in your direction) doesn't even react to it at all. Then you walk over to him and strangle him also, and repeat for every single guard in the room before it wears off. Enemy AI is really, really terrible.

This game is a good example of developer having many great ideas but unable to make them work. I have no doubt ideas within this game will show up on other titles when someone figures out how to make them work.

It's a fun game with some outright broken mechanics. It's developed by Obsidian (Easily my most hated developer) so you know there'll be a lot of problems with the game.

How is the framerate on the ps3 version? I've been looking to get a copy of this game for a while now.

Alpha Protocol is a game that you can't go into with high hopes of something amazing. If you keep your expectations rather reasonable and not compare it to the likes of other games (specifically Mass Effect), you will have no problem. I bought this game from gamefly for about $10 shipped, and I have no regrets. I wanted the game since it was announced and even after the mediocre reviews, I figured I would eventually pick it up. The game does have it's share of glitches and technical hiccups, but they don't really hinder the experience. The combat at best is rather exaggerated with rag doll physics that I found hilarious sometimes, and a rather odd way of dealing with weapons. For example, a headshot doesn't usually kill an enemy, or is guaranteed to hit even from a close distance. I found that I would aim with my pistol and then wait for another crosshair to load, which would guarantee a sure shot. This paired with a relatively reasonable distance, in regards to the enemy, would usually result in a one shot kill. The dialogue is rather interesting, due to the time restrictions to make each choice, it gives a hint of realism since we don't have all the time in the world to respond in an actual conversation. I feel like I'm rambling here, but I have to state that a person should definitely take a look at this game.

I've recently found that games that were met with bad reviews, I've actually loved and games that were met with critical acclaim, I've actually hated. For example, Alpha Protocol and Rise of the Argonauts are two "mediocre" games that I loved. Two games that I wasn't fond of are Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 1/2. Well I may have been a bit bias of Mass Effect, I wanted to love it but my brief time with it didn't really interest me.

[quote name='doreo503']Alpha Protocol is a game that you can't go into with high hopes of something amazing. If you keep your expectations rather reasonable and not compare it to the likes of other games (specifically Mass Effect), you will have no problem. I bought this game from gamefly for about $10 shipped, and I have no regrets. I wanted the game since it was announced and even after the mediocre reviews, I figured I would eventually pick it up. The game does have it's share of glitches and technical hiccups, but they don't really hinder the experience. The combat at best is rather exaggerated with rag doll physics that I found hilarious sometimes, and a rather odd way of dealing with weapons. For example, a headshot doesn't usually kill an enemy, or is guaranteed to hit even from a close distance. I found that I would aim with my pistol and then wait for another crosshair to load, which would guarantee a sure shot. This paired with a relatively reasonable distance, in regards to the enemy, would usually result in a one shot kill. The dialogue is rather interesting, due to the time restrictions to make each choice, it gives a hint of realism since we don't have all the time in the world to respond in an actual conversation. I feel like I'm rambling here, but I have to state that a person should definitely take a look at this game.

I've recently found that games that were met with bad reviews, I've actually loved and games that were met with critical acclaim, I've actually hated. For example, Alpha Protocol and Rise of the Argonauts are two "mediocre" games that I loved. Two games that I wasn't fond of are Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 1/2. Well I may have been a bit bias of Mass Effect, I wanted to love it but my brief time with it didn't really interest me.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe you like games that the majority don't like and hate games the majority like because you (either subconsciously or purposely) want to be "original?". I've seen it before.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Or maybe you like games that the majority don't like and hate games the majority like because you (either subconsciously or purposely) want to be "original?". I've seen it before.[/QUOTE]
Happens all the time with movies and music, see no reason why some people wouldn't do it with games.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Or maybe you like games that the majority don't like and hate games the majority like because you (either subconsciously or purposely) want to be "original?". I've seen it before.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I like a majority of popular games but I don't understand why some become as popular as they do. I have the typical popular titles like LBP 1+2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Uncharted 1 &2, Assassins Creed series, Killzone 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Infamous, Mag, etc. But then I have games that weren't as popular like Prince of Persia (that cell shaded one), Enslaved, Rise of the Argonauts, Eye of Judgment, Hakuna Matata, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.

There are just certain games that have come out that were well received that I hated, like Borderlands which I found incredibly boring, Lost Planet 2, Cod Modern Warfare, etc.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to what I like, for example I played Oblivion and hated it, yet I played Fallout 3 and loved it. They were both very similar in terms of gameplay but Fallout 3 just rubbed me in the right way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he explains it in his post, and I kind of agree with him. If you wait to play games that are supposed to be amazing, you get exposed to tons of praise and positive reviews. This makes your expectations go way up, and ultimately the game just doesn't or can't live up to them. I definitely experience this with games.

This is a great game. I don't understand the hate some people have from this game other than perhaps they don't understand RPG's - especially an RPG with guns - and also expect to always be able to run and gun - the game definitely rewards stealth. I selfishly urge people to buy it so that maybe one day we will see a sequel. (which I would buy day one full price - not something I usually do)

I haven't replayed a game in years (Even the Mass effects -which I want to return to) but I am currently going through my fourth play through to get my last achievements and still am having fun and more importantly, still seeing new dialogue and none of my endings have been the same (and the fourth will be different as well).

I had a dream about this game. That I bought it but it had one key difference in my dream than it did in real life. Instead of whatever douchebag main character is in it. It was Archer from Fx's "Archer". Than when I woke up I decided that would be the most badass game ever made.

This game was like $8 over the holidays and I still couldn't pull the trigger. I'm sure there are plenty of other better ways to spend my gaming hours.

Shoot! I waited too long. I've been watching it fall steadily over the last 2 weeks to $16 on Amaz. and kept wanting to bite. Today, it's back up to $31 out of nowhere. Oh well, I can always wait.

[quote name='blitzbllmstr']

also no alpha protocol thread is complete without.....turn up the radio! learn to love this song cause you'll hear it a lot in the game depending how much trouble you have with a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvg8756yK10[/QUOTE]

hahaha so true. Overall, the game is a little unpolished, but the story and dialogue alone makes it worth it in my opinion. Leveling up different abilities is awesome.

bread's done
Back