Alright lets hear it, who DIDN'T score a Wii on Sunday?

Put me down in the no Wiii for me catagory...

I went to my CC at 5:00AM. When I arrived I was the 9th person in line. I figured I was a shoe in to get one until I was told they only had 6. I checked the door and sure enough it said 6. Since I was there and all of the other lines looked much worse I figured I would stay. I thought maybe this number was wrong and surely they would get at least 10-12. About 6:50AM the manager came out and said that they only had 6 units. He told everyone to get out a picture ID because they were only allowing one unit per household and everyone had to prove they lived in different places. #1 & #2 in line were a younger couple huddled up in a blanket. The guy got out his ID but the girl said she didn't have it. She asked if she could come back later with it and he said no. He told her without the ID her system would go to someone else.

The next 4 people in line all presented ID and were given a ticket. #7 in line was told that if #1 could not produce ID within 20 minutes the ticket was his and he could wait if he liked. I turned around and left at that moment. As I was leaving #1 was on her cell phone desperately trying to get someone to bring her ID to her. I don't know how long they had been there but that would suck to camp out all that time, be #1 in line, and not get a Wii. At the same time I like the effort by the store to prevent hoarding (the Johnson family lining up 5 people and having each purchase one).

I went by a Target and BB on the way home but by 7:00AM I knew the tickets had been handed out and I had no chance.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I didn't buy a Wii yesterday . . .
. . . I have mine since launch :lol:
[/QUOTE]

QFT.

No Wii for me. All I have is the Wii component cable (the only online order that went through without getting cancelled).

I went out at 4am.

Best Buy had 24 units, 27 people in line
Target had 18 units, 22+/- in line
Toy's R Us had as many people in line as Best Buy - I didn't bother asking how many units they had.
Wal-Mart - saw one guy waiting, then an employee came out and said, "We have no Wiis, don't bother."
Drove to another Best Buy, 3 huge tents; Drove to another Wal-mart; they had none.

I'm getting tired of turning up empty handed. So much for putting a million Wii's on the market; I've put more effort in looking for the Wii than any other console.

My last bet is the amazon lottery; If I don't get one there, I'll probably end up not getting one at all.

[quote name='atlcrei']
Best Buy had 24 units, 27 people in line

Toy's R Us had as many people in line as Best Buy - I didn't bother asking how many units they had.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have given up on TRU so easily. My local store has consistantly had more than BB.

I gave up any hope of getting a Wii about 2 weeks ago, I didn't want to prolong my depression. Now that I've missed Christmas and most likely winter break, I've lost interest in the Wii for now. I'll just try to get one around when SSB and Wario Ware come out.

I knew this would be a hot item and got one on day 1. I was not one of the many who though "GameCube didn't sell very well...this won't either". Glad I got mine! I have 7 damn games for it. More soon.

I got mine on release day as well. First in line for the preorder, so no problems. They have been next to impossible to find around here. The guy who sits across the aisle from me at work went out to get one yesterday for his son, but he didn't start early enough so he went home empty handed. He hit the first store at 5 AM.

I signed up for the PS3 at the Amazon lottery, but I should have signed up for a Wii....I'd have made someone at work happy this year. Everyone is looking for one for their kids and are slightly annoyed that the 32 year old engineer is the only person they know with one.

TBW

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']I got mine on release day as well. First in line for the preorder, so no problems. They have been next to impossible to find around here. The guy who sits across the aisle from me at work went out to get one yesterday for his son, but he didn't start early enough so he went home empty handed. He hit the first store at 5 AM.

I signed up for the PS3 at the Amazon lottery, but I should have signed up for a Wii....I'd have made someone at work happy this year. Everyone is looking for one for their kids and are slightly annoyed that the 32 year old engineer is the only person they know with one.

TBW[/quote]

This thread is not called "Everyone that got a Wii gloat about it and call all of the people that didn't morons"

[quote name='Chitown021']Put me down in the no Wiii for me catagory...

I went to my CC at 5:00AM. When I arrived I was the 9th person in line. I figured I was a shoe in to get one until I was told they only had 6. I checked the door and sure enough it said 6. Since I was there and all of the other lines looked much worse I figured I would stay. I thought maybe this number was wrong and surely they would get at least 10-12. About 6:50AM the manager came out and said that they only had 6 units. He told everyone to get out a picture ID because they were only allowing one unit per household and everyone had to prove they lived in different places. #1 & #2 in line were a younger couple huddled up in a blanket. The guy got out his ID but the girl said she didn't have it. She asked if she could come back later with it and he said no. He told her without the ID her system would go to someone else.

The next 4 people in line all presented ID and were given a ticket. #7 in line was told that if #1 could not produce ID within 20 minutes the ticket was his and he could wait if he liked. I turned around and left at that moment. As I was leaving #1 was on her cell phone desperately trying to get someone to bring her ID to her. I don't know how long they had been there but that would suck to camp out all that time, be #1 in line, and not get a Wii. At the same time I like the effort by the store to prevent hoarding (the Johnson family lining up 5 people and having each purchase one).

I went by a Target and BB on the way home but by 7:00AM I knew the tickets had been handed out and I had no chance.[/quote]

I think that it's bull they would do something like that. Sure I understand that they want to keep it 1 per household ... but not everyone has an ID in the world ...

[quote name='strikeratt']I think that it's bull they would do something like that. Sure I understand that they want to keep it 1 per household ... but not everyone has an ID in the world ...[/quote]

I actually thought it was a good idea to keep someone with a large household from getting everyone in line and hoarding 5 or 6 of them. I didn't stick around to find out if the woman was able to get her system or not. By the way they were camped I bet they had been there since at least midnight. If she didn't get her system I bet she was pissed! That's like some of the launch stories I heard where stores held a lottery for the inventory they had.

[quote name='Chitown021']This thread is not called "Everyone that got a Wii gloat about it and call all of the people that didn't morons"[/quote]

AMEN! Every thread for people who had bad luck finding one turns into a giant orgy of gloating.

Anyone got a prediction on when the holiday buzz is going to die down? I want a wii, just not bad enough to wait in line for 3 days like some people are doing.

my wife & her best friend showed up to EBgames @ midnight & they were 1st in line, the store only had 6. i cant wait to play on xmas morning!!

[quote name='J35U5']AMEN! Every thread for people who had bad luck finding one turns into a giant orgy of gloating.

Anyone got a prediction on when the holiday buzz is going to die down? I want a wii, just not bad enough to wait in line for 3 days like some people are doing.[/quote]

I've heard some rumors floating around that TRU will have more Wii's in stock this Friday. At this point it's merely rumor with no verification. With Christmas falling on a Monday it would not surprise me if retailers got a shipment today and held them for one last sales hurrah on Christmas Eve or hold them over for the 26th.

The closest EB is close to 50 miles away. I've had my console since launch, but my nephew still wanted/needed one.

The EB was supposed to get 10 of them, and they opened at 10:00. He went down at 10:00 PM Saturday and was the first in line. Lots of people showed up, only to find they actually got only four systems.

So, I guess he *did* get a system on Sunday. Just takes a lot of waiting!

After a couple of weeks of stopping at EB nearly every day, I gave up last week. Last week and this week, I haven't even driven near EB games. I want to get the Wii there so I can use my store credit.

I also just didn't want to bother with getting up early on Sunday for what might have been a wild goose chase. Sunday morning is when the family sleeps in, and I really didn't feel like disturbing everyone for something that wasn't a sure thing.

It actually feels...good. I'm playing Okami, Elite Beat Agents, FFXII, and Lego Star Wars II. Every time I left EB empty-handed, it was hard not to sigh. Now, I'm just thinking about what I have instead of what I can't get.

Honestly, I thought Nintendo would do more. While I am surprised at the demand, I am more surprised that Nintendo didn't do more to capitalize on it. This truly was their moment and they owned Christmas. Let's hope it was enough.

In the long run, I've been done a favor. I have a bunch of cheap-ass Wii games ready to go, and since I decided not to get the Wii at TRU (despite being sorely tempted), I've been able to use my TRU credit on DS and Wii games and FFIII/FFXII. My entire out-of-pocket Wii expense will end up being about $125 for a Wii, extra mote and chuck, controller gloves, memory, and four games.

That's worth waiting for.

So I went on a cabin trip with my girlfriend and a couple other couples in North Georgia and my buddy on my rowing team got one for me (There were no stores around me in the mountains that sold them. ) . He's had one since launch, and i've been telling him my Wiiwoes and he just flat out told me that he'd get up and get one for me this past Sunday. I was taken aback and was like..."dude...you don't have to do that...I can wait..." but he really wanted to help me out so he got up at 5am and sat outside a Target, 8th in line out of 18 Wiis. What a friend...I've got to think of something nice to get him for Christmas or do something for him. He thinks I should sell the Wii he got me, though, lol. At least my Wiiwoes are over.

Got to my local Best Buy at 1:30 am, was #24. For some reason I thought I would get one so I stayed, although I later found out that if I had gone to Circuit City at that time instead I would have been #7 in line, and they had 10 Wiis. Anyway, at 6:15 the Best Buy employee came out, said they only had 15 units, and I went home bitter and frozen.

What I don't understand is why Best Buy (or whereever) can't just count how many consoles they have before they close up the night before and post a sign or something, so people don't have to wait overnight for no reason.

[quote name='funjoe']Got to my local Best Buy at 1:30 am, was #24. For some reason I thought I would get one so I stayed, although I later found out that if I had gone to Circuit City at that time instead I would have been #7 in line, and they had 10 Wiis. Anyway, at 6:15 the Best Buy employee came out, said they only had 15 units, and I went home bitter and frozen.

What I don't understand is why Best Buy (or whereever) can't just count how many consoles they have before they close up the night before and post a sign or something, so people don't have to wait overnight for no reason.[/quote]

CC was the only store that I saw that actually did this. The store I was at had a sign in the window showing 6 units in stock. I agree with you. It's not like the stores don't know how many they're going to have when they open. Post a sign so those that plan on waiting in line can see know where the cutoff is.

bread's done
Back