(Alternative to VC Controller)Thrust Master wireless gamepad for wii $13.59

[quote name='z3razerviper']I got mine today and it does NOT work with my gamecube :gc: works fine with the gamecube games on the wii but not the cube itself. Which really makes no sence since it has no Wii Specific buttons.[/quote]

Dammit, I was going to buy one but this is disappointing. How the hell is that even possible?

[quote name='z3razerviper']I got mine today and it does NOT work with my gamecube :gc: works fine with the gamecube games on the wii but not the cube itself. Which really makes no sence since it has no Wii Specific buttons.[/QUOTE]

That's disappointing. :( Thanks for letting us know.

[quote name='tsmvengy']Dammit, I was going to buy one but this is disappointing. How the hell is that even possible?[/quote]

I have no idea it plugs in to the cube just fine but never syncs up but once you plug it into the wii it works right away. Its still worth what I paid for it but kinda disappointing. If someone else would confirm my findings it would be nice.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I have no idea it plugs in to the cube just fine but never syncs up but once you plug it into the wii it works right away. Its still worth what I paid for it but kinda disappointing. If someone else would confirm my findings it would be nice.[/quote]

Ahh so even if you press the "connect" button on there the 'cube just can't detect it?

damn after looking at those pics i wanted to get one but now after what everyone is saying about it being uncompatible I feel crushed.

Wait. Doesn't it clearly say 'For Wii?' I understand the disappointment. However I don't see anywhere on the packaging that actually states that it works on any system besides the Wii.

This does make me curious about the difference between the Wii 'Gamecube controller' ports and those on an actual Gamecube. Does the Wii supply more power to the ports? Did Nintendo set up the ports drivers in some odd way?

Well if anyone is so disapointed in the fact that it doesnt connect to the Gamcube then I will be willing to take it off there hands.

Hell if anyone wants to sell me one then PM me.

Just in case anyone wants to get a Thrustmaster without waiting for who-knows-when a retailer's gonna ship'em out, they are now selling the controllers at Circuit City.

Went by 2 Circuit City's in NY (86th & Lexington and 80th and Broadway) and it's in stock.

They are going for the price of $19.99

Thanks, worrybomb! This is one of the rare reasons for me to drop by CC. ;)

Anyone else see these in other B&M's? I'd rather give my money to another company, if possible ;)

I will wait for Nintendo to annouce a black Wii & these become available in black also.

Black for electronics = insta-win.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Thanks, worrybomb! This is one of the rare reasons for me to drop by CC. ;)

Anyone else see these in other B&M's? I'd rather give my money to another company, if possible ;)[/QUOTE]
i've seen them in CC and J&R

I picked up 2 @ 19.99 each at CC yesterday. They work fine with the Wii it is dissapointing about GC compatibility but I only have the Wii out anymore so I'm OK. They take 3 AAA's which seems like a lot but whatever I got rechargables.
CC also had a 3rd party wireless GC specific controller for 19.99 as well if you are interested.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I feel like 20 is a lot tho :/
It would be more then acceptable if they connected to the GC tho[/quote]

In this day of $50 controllers, I sure wouldn't balk at a $20 controller!

Glad to hear CC has them, I've been looking at this for a long time for Smash Bros.

Has anybody else tried to use the Thrustmaster with Paper Mario?

The LZ/RZ buttons aren't instantly responsive when I'm switching characters. sometimes I have to press one, then the other, or both at once to get it to work.

Is this normal, or is my Thrustmaster just screwed up?

[quote name='SackAttack']Has anybody else tried to use the Thrustmaster with Paper Mario?

The LZ/RZ buttons aren't instantly responsive when I'm switching characters. sometimes I have to press one, then the other, or both at once to get it to work.

Is this normal, or is my Thrustmaster just screwed up?[/quote]

It's simple. The Virtual Console maps the N64's Z button to the Gamecube controller's L button, not its Z button. So, ZL/ZR shouldn't work at all for switching characters in Paper Mario. It's the L button that you want to hit. In fact, it's kind of unusual that you got it to work at all. You must have accidentally pressed L.

Of course, if you prefer to use the Z buttons for some reason, you can use the controller's mapping feature to swap L with ZL/ZR.

Also, I just wanted to add that my Thrustmaster works fine on my Gamecube. My Gamecube is one of the early ones with the digital A/V output, if that can possibly make a difference. Maybe they somehow altered the circuitry for the controller ports in the later Gamecubes?

[quote name='B-Man']It's simple. The Virtual Console maps the N64's Z button to the Gamecube controller's L button, not its Z button. So, ZL/ZR shouldn't work at all for switching characters in Paper Mario. It's the L button that you want to hit. In fact, it's kind of unusual that you got it to work at all. You must have accidentally pressed L.

Of course, if you prefer to use the Z buttons for some reason, you can use the controller's mapping feature to swap L with ZL/ZR.[/quote]

How would I use the mapping feature? the Z buttons are more comfortable for me to reach.

[quote name='B-Man']Also, I just wanted to add that my Thrustmaster works fine on my Gamecube. My Gamecube is one of the early ones with the digital A/V output, if that can possibly make a difference. Maybe they somehow altered the circuitry for the controller ports in the later Gamecubes?[/QUOTE]

Could be. My GameCube is a launchie, but I haven't used it in well over a year, so I don't know if my thrustmaster would work with it.

[quote name='SackAttack']How would I use the mapping feature? the Z buttons are more comfortable for me to reach.[/quote]

Press the MAP button, then press the two buttons that you want to swap. So, you should press MAP, L, and then either ZL or ZR. After that, ZL and ZR will both act as L and L will act as Z.

Also, if you turn the controller off using the power switch, your custom mappings will be lost. However, they will be saved if you let the controller turn itself off by going into standby mode after five minutes of inactivity.

I want to pick up two at the Dell site since it's under $15 there but the thread seems to imply that Dell isn't all that reliable at actually sending them out. Should I try somewhere else or should I just go for it anyway?

[quote name='MyFootIsPunch']I want to pick up two at the Dell site since it's under $15 there but the thread seems to imply that Dell isn't all that reliable at actually sending them out. Should I try somewhere else or should I just go for it anyway?[/QUOTE]

It took a little while, but I eventually got mine and love them.

I just bought one of these to use with Smash Bros. I'm happy with the pad, but the rumble is not working.

Can anyone else chime in with their results using this with Smash Bros? Does your rumble work with the game or is the rumble not compatible with Smash Bros?

Thanks!
-Sean

Picked one up for $17 with free shipping (newegg.com) a few days ago and while it is a lot better than most third-party wireless controllers it isn't a Wavebird. Of course Wavebirds aren't $17.

[quote name='WiiNet']Picked one up for $17 with free shipping (newegg.com) a few days ago and while it is a lot better than most third-party wireless controllers it isn't a Wavebird. Of course Wavebirds aren't $17.[/quote]
I still can't get over no rumble in a Wavebird. I think I'll be picking one of these up.

[quote name='B-Man']Also, I just wanted to add that my Thrustmaster works fine on my Gamecube. My Gamecube is one of the early ones with the digital A/V output, if that can possibly make a difference. Maybe they somehow altered the circuitry for the controller ports in the later Gamecubes?[/QUOTE]

So the Thrustmaster is working with some Gamecubes and not with others? U mention yours is an early cube -- is it Indigo?

Any other confirmation on this from anyone?

[quote name='donssword']So the Thrustmaster is working with some Gamecubes and not with others? U mention yours is an early cube -- is it Indigo?

Any other confirmation on this from anyone?[/quote]

No, it's black. And when I say early, I don't mean from launch or anything. I bought it around April or May of 2002, so it was about six months after launch. I was just pointing out that mine was early enough to have the digital A/V port, which was removed from Gamecube consoles starting around 2004, I believe.

Anyway, all I know is that when I tried the Thrustmaster on my Cube, it worked. I was just trying to come up with a possible reason why someone in this thread said that it didn't work with his.

[quote name='rvarma']rumble works for me on smash. make sure the little runble switch on the bottom right is on[/quote]

See, this has me even more ticked off. I've been emailing customer support over the past week and they've given me nothing but the runaround. They won't even suggest I might have a bum controller. They even told me to try it on another game. They apparently don't know that only what, 3 Wii games, are Cube controller compatible.

So yes, I've made sure the physical switch is set to ON and the options are set to ON.

Besides the left stick being a little tight for my liking, which makes precise aiming difficult, I'm happy with the controller itself.

Considering buying this from Amazon. I haven't bought any VC games on my Wii, but I'm absolutely going to buy Wiiware. Anyone know if Wiiware games are always compatible with the Classic Controller and Wavebird simultaneously? Or do games ever support the Classic Controller and not the Wavebird?

Just trying to figure out if I would have everything I need to play any VC/Wiiware game in a Wavebird and a Wii remote, or if I really need a Classic Controller or this Thrust-pad? I'm thinking about buying this controller anyway, for rumble and a better all-around solution to VC and compatible Wii games.

bread's done
Back